Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: 1996 SPX

  1. #1

    1996 SPX

    Greetings!

    My buddy bought a 1996 seadoo SPX for basically free as a project and has enlisted me to help get it running.
    I first discovered the DESS post was removed and replaced with a button that you have to press while holding the start button so I think I am going to get a new post/key. Any thoughts on that?

    The second thing is, I checked compression and the front cylinder is shot, running at 70psi so it will atleast need a top end rebuild...
    Any recommended places to do that? I know SBT but the turn around is like 2 months...

    The cool thing is the trim is working fine and the hull itself looks great...
    also came with a double trailer and a 1997 GSI lol

    Thanks all!


  2. #2
    Hurricane1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Gulf of Mexico
    Posts
    1,332
    +1
    134
    They don't have a shortbock available?

  3. #3
    Hurricane1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Gulf of Mexico
    Posts
    1,332
    +1
    134
    Definitely use the Oem security post to prevent any unauthorized use of your ski!

  4. +1 by:


  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane1000 View Post
    They don't have a shortbock available?
    Website says 8-10 weeks out.

    Any thoughts on the GSI versus the SPX? The hull on the GSI looks way bigger

  6. #5

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis MN
    Posts
    1,369
    +1
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by RayFinkle View Post
    Website says 8-10 weeks out.

    Any thoughts on the GSI versus the SPX? The hull on the GSI looks way bigger
    I owned both a SPX and GSX back in the day and the hulls have very different performance characteristics. The SPX is much more playful but not as good as the GS hull in the rough or when carrying a rider. It depends on the needs/wants of the user as to which hull is better.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    I owned both a SPX and GSX back in the day and the hulls have very different performance characteristics. The SPX is much more playful but not as good as the GS hull in the rough or when carrying a rider. It depends on the needs/wants of the user as to which hull is better.
    Thanks for the reply. Looks like the GSI might be the winner for him. He wants to use it for two person rides.

    The GSI has the single carb. Any idea how big of a motor I can fit in there? I think the stock is a 720 perhaps?

  8. #7
    Myself's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Central Arkansas
    Posts
    5,048
    +1
    518
    The 717/720 IS the biggest motor that will fit on your stock mounting points. That same GS hull was also offered with a 787, and a 951, both with their own mounting locations. The GSi MPEM is also a unicorn but if/when that quits you can wire in a different version, I've done it. Parts are plentiful for the 717 engine. If the crank is good, just buy a good used cylinder and piston off ebay and throw that ski together for now. Flush tanks, replace fuel lines, clean out the fuel switches, and rebuild the carbs......if you dont, bad things WILL happen.

  9. +1 by:


  10. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RayFinkle View Post
    Greetings!

    My buddy bought a 1996 seadoo SPX for basically free as a project and has enlisted me to help get it running.
    I first discovered the DESS post was removed and replaced with a button that you have to press while holding the start button so I think I am going to get a new post/key. Any thoughts on that?

    The second thing is, I checked compression and the front cylinder is shot, running at 70psi so it will atleast need a top end rebuild...
    Any recommended places to do that? I know SBT but the turn around is like 2 months...

    The cool thing is the trim is working fine and the hull itself looks great...
    also came with a double trailer and a 1997 GSI lol

    Thanks all!
    Are you sure itís a 96? It sounds like a non dess kill switch to me. Have any pics?

  11. +1 by:


  12. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    Are you sure itís a 96? It sounds like a non dess kill switch to me. Have any pics?
    I guess it could beÖhere is a photoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1186.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	477807

  13. #10
    Thatís a factory non dess kill switch.

  14. +1 by:


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS 1996 Xp and 1998 SPX
    By RUSH. in forum Sea Doo 2 Stroke Skis
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 09:46 PM
  2. 1996 xp or 1999 spx
    By VTGEORGEJ in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 09:09 AM
  3. 1996 SPX Blowing 5A
    By slipnot in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-24-2009, 02:38 PM
  4. 1996 SPX Question
    By kl7741 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 02:02 PM
  5. 1996 SPX Cover
    By Bruins in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 08:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •