Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1996 SPX

1996 SPX

Greetings!

My buddy bought a 1996 seadoo SPX for basically free as a project and has enlisted me to help get it running.
    I first discovered the DESS post was removed and replaced with a button that you have to press while holding the start button so I think I am going to get a new post/key. Any thoughts on that?

The second thing is, I checked compression and the front cylinder is shot, running at 70psi so it will atleast need a top end rebuild...
    Any recommended places to do that? I know SBT but the turn around is like 2 months...

The cool thing is the trim is working fine and the hull itself looks great...
    also came with a double trailer and a 1997 GSI lol

Thanks all!

+1
    They don't have a shortbock available?

+1
    Definitely use the Oem security post to prevent any unauthorized use of your ski!

4. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane1000 View Post
    They don't have a shortbock available?
    Website says 8-10 weeks out.

Any thoughts on the GSI versus the SPX? The hull on the GSI looks way bigger

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RayFinkle View Post
    Website says 8-10 weeks out.

Any thoughts on the GSI versus the SPX? The hull on the GSI looks way bigger
    I owned both a SPX and GSX back in the day and the hulls have very different performance characteristics. The SPX is much more playful but not as good as the GS hull in the rough or when carrying a rider. It depends on the needs/wants of the user as to which hull is better.

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    I owned both a SPX and GSX back in the day and the hulls have very different performance characteristics. The SPX is much more playful but not as good as the GS hull in the rough or when carrying a rider. It depends on the needs/wants of the user as to which hull is better.
    Thanks for the reply. Looks like the GSI might be the winner for him. He wants to use it for two person rides.

The GSI has the single carb. Any idea how big of a motor I can fit in there? I think the stock is a 720 perhaps?

+1
    The 717/720 IS the biggest motor that will fit on your stock mounting points. That same GS hull was also offered with a 787, and a 951, both with their own mounting locations. The GSi MPEM is also a unicorn but if/when that quits you can wire in a different version, I've done it. Parts are plentiful for the 717 engine. If the crank is good, just buy a good used cylinder and piston off ebay and throw that ski together for now. Flush tanks, replace fuel lines, clean out the fuel switches, and rebuild the carbs......if you dont, bad things WILL happen.

9. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by RayFinkle View Post
    Greetings!

My buddy bought a 1996 seadoo SPX for basically free as a project and has enlisted me to help get it running.
    I first discovered the DESS post was removed and replaced with a button that you have to press while holding the start button so I think I am going to get a new post/key. Any thoughts on that?

The second thing is, I checked compression and the front cylinder is shot, running at 70psi so it will atleast need a top end rebuild...
    Any recommended places to do that? I know SBT but the turn around is like 2 months...

The cool thing is the trim is working fine and the hull itself looks great...
    also came with a double trailer and a 1997 GSI lol

Thanks all!
    Are you sure itís a 96? It sounds like a non dess kill switch to me. Have any pics?

11. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    Are you sure itís a 96? It sounds like a non dess kill switch to me. Have any pics?
    I guess it could beÖhere is a photoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1186.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	477807

Thatís a factory non dess kill switch.

14. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information