Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2021 VX HO (Limited) water in hull (leak near ride plate?) Between Hull Layers

I have only had the ski for 2 weeks. After break-in and doing higher speeds, i noticed a few ounces of water in the rear portion of the hull. I have read many forums about sealing the transom plate so i though i would try to video the rear. I have some interesting discoveries.

I don't think the leak is coming from the transom plate but somewhere further back around the ride plate mount on the starboard side (steering cable side). I have also put shop towels (the blue paper towels) around several spots to verify that the leak is not from the drive shaft hose and the intake grate mount or steering cable.

first video from seeing if it is from the transom:

ignore the white blob, that was a white sealant blob left from factory. didn't notice when i set up my snake camera.

The drip starts from upper left. i did not notice any drip from the steering cable or in that area. (confirmed with blue towel - that area does not get wet)

So i adjusted the camera to view the "water box rubber hose" and get a glimpse of the footwell drain and ride plate mount.

so the drip seems to be coming in the back of the ride plate mount. i wrapped blue towel around the footwell drain, it was not wet, but a towel next to the plate mount was wet.

unfortunately i could not diagnose further today and will not have another chance until labor day weekend.

Is it possible to leak from the ride plate mount? is there anywhere else that can be an issue?
    Last edited by G999; 09-06-2021 at 05:12 PM. Reason: update title

Are you sure it’s not coming from the exhaust outlet

Possible, i did stuff a paper towel between the ride plate mount and the rubber hose. the towel was dry...but that doesnt mean that i did a good job of placing. i probably need to figure out how to reposition the camera to see further back.
    Can i undo the locknuts on the outlet from the outside and verify a good seal on the rubber hose?
    Greg

There’s a chance it’s leaking from the backside of the outlet so try your best to wrap the towel completely around the outlet and see what happens.

+1
    If it’s leaking from the exhaust outlet it could be loose, there’s I think 6 maybe 8 nuts on the outside where the pump is check those with a 10mm ratchet wrench. There’s just a rubber gasket there.
    if it’s leaking from the rideplate mount, it should be taken off and resealed. If you don’t want to mess with that you might be able to seal the outside of the plate holes by removing the rideplate and putting a small circle of silicone around the holes

Leaking between layers?

I just completed some more video and it seems that the leak is between the hull layers. is this possible? maybe the leak is coming from the intake grate bolts and weeping through the layers. when I first was testing there was no sign of water at all. then after about 30 minutes of hard ridding, i found this leak.

This video is WAY in the back under the exhaust fitting. camera is a little bit tilted.

Is this normal? Is this something i should notify the dealer, but i'm not sure what they could fix. i do not see any cracks or anything around the ride plate. i will do a further inspection this weekend when i take it off the lake.

Greg

{I checked all of the nuts for the exhaust fitting and all seemed tight.}

Update -
    I removed the intake grate and the ride plate and checked for any cracks or damage (also checked the entire hull). I did not find any issues.

I removed any factory sealant from the bolt holes and reapplied 3M 4200. I sealed up the intake grate and ride plate around the bolts (not too much, just a bit). Torqued everything up and waited a week to ride.

After a 25 minute (medium hard) ride, everything seemed dry. there was a little dampness, but that could have been from condensation (no drip).

Finger crossed....

Greg

+1
    I suspect that a lot of “leaks” are condensation. Maybe not in this case…but when the air temps are 90f and humid ans the water is 75….you will surely have it.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    you did great doing that repair, those videos seemed like water was bypassing thru the bolts and up to the hull. Overtime the bolts move a little and cause the seal to break therefore letting water in.

Any update on this? Problem solved?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information