2001 GTX 951 Power band troubles in the water

Hey Guys!!

Appreciate any help and advise on this! I’m completely new to Skis being a car guy but have great mechanical background and have been at it trying to find and fix what ever I can on the Ski.

Where I’m at:

So the ski will start right up and idle fine, when I rev it up out of the water the rave valves come up like the should when the rpms get pretty high (not sure exactly how high) but once in the water wont go past 35 mph or kick into power band. Weird thing is ski ran like a top all last year. Sat over the winter and first time out gave me this issue. I cleaned the rave valves first time the issue happened and seemed to fix it, was coming into power band but still was a bit hesitant and ever since then its just gotten more and more intermediate. Been scratching my head at what to do next.

What Ive done so far:

So far I’ve rebuilt and cleaned the Rave valves with OE parts, tested the solenoid (closes when I put power to it), check the vacuum lines, compression check (135 both cylinders cold), found 2 wires the were bolted to the coils that had corrosion, cleaned sanded and re bolted, has sparl.

Last thing I checked was the check valve coming off the crank case, couldn’t blow through it at either end. If I sucked on it super hard could feel it pull some air through, it held vacuum pressure when I hooked my tester up to it. put it did seem just extra tough to get open. I ordered a new one and going to re do the lines to try and rule that out.

The impeller is in good shape, maybe 1 or 2 nicks and the clearance to the wear ring is very tight. Almost looks like its touching.
    Last edited by Themouse; 08-21-2021 at 09:07 PM.

+1
    Have you changed out the spark plugs ?
    Run it on the trailer for a minute or two under load and then stop pull the plugs and see if one is firing or is wet

+1
    You can't tell anything by running it on the trailer because there is no load on the engine (it is also hard on the carbon ring). Have you checked the operation of the water regulator on the water box? If it isn't functioning the engine won't make as much power.

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    You can't tell anything by running it on the trailer because there is no load on the engine (it is also hard on the carbon ring). Have you checked the operation of the water regulator on the water box? If it isn't functioning the engine won't make as much power.
    Is it different than checking the rave valves? I only popped the cap and it seemed ok. Can take it apart next to see. is there a special way to check it ?

Also plugs are new and have checked for spark. Ski starts right up and runs great and idles no problem.

+1
    If the valve is moving and you have water flowing to it then it should be working. It's hard to analyze your operating problem without riding it. Maybe there is a tech in your area that can assess it?

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    If the valve is moving and you have water flowing to it then it should be working. It's hard to analyze your operating problem without riding it. Maybe there is a tech in your area that can assess it?

Yea I’m going to take it off and apart to fully inspect it next, but under load it just won’t rev up to hit power band so going to keep digging.

Did you ever find the cause? My 01 GTX is doing the same thing. Ran great last weekend. Took it out this weekend and won’t go over 4000 RPM under load. Revs fine out of the water. No dash lights. Sounds like there might be a slight misfire from time to time. Voltage is good and increase while running. I’m baffled and hate to take it to a tech again.

Thread Information