Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Is the new ride plate and SMC hull on the 2022 FX that big of a deal?

Here is a quote from Kevin Shaw ... "The reshaped ride plate brings the FX to plane quicker; the relocated sponsons bite stronger in a hard lean-in turns. The SMC fiberglass hull absorbs the surface chatter, mutes the bumps and reduces vibration in a big way. All stellar changes."

First question ... Do you think the reshaped ride plate is that big of a deal? It won't make the FX SVHO faster because it is top speed limited anyways. More acceleration? The 2021 accelerates fast enough for me. Besides, I could always install some Riva upgrades and make it faster. I don't understand why Kevin is emphasizing this as "Stellar changes." The changes seem incremental.

My second question is of more interest to me. ... Kevin speaks highly of the SMC fiberglass hull. The 2022 FX skis weigh about the same as the 2021 skis .. within 5%. I don't see that making a huge difference in choppy water.
    Kevin talks about the SMC hull absorbing more of the "chatter". I really don't think feeling a little more "chatter" is a big deal either. Does "chatter" really lead to body fatigue? ... significant additional fatigue?

Reasons for asking.. I am getting a new 2021 FX Cruiser SVHO in a week or two. I don't think the 2022 is worth waiting for. Besides, I love the look of the black "Darth Vader' 2021 FX Cruiser SVHO. The brown seats on the 22 models aren't my style.

+1
    On my 2019, simple changing to a Riva ride plate added almost 2 mph and handles much better. There is no speed limiter on the FX SVHO…only a rev limiter.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
    On my 2019, simple changing to a Riva ride plate added almost 2 mph and handles much better. There is no speed limiter on the FX SVHO…only a rev limiter.
    From what I understand, the 2022 ride plate for the FX SVHO has a upward bend at the rear which helps lift the nose of the PWC. According to Kevin Shaw, this results in a dryer ride.
    I will pick up my new 2021 FX Cruiser SVHO Saturday morning. I am very interested to see if what Kevin is saying is correct. How significant is the spray? My GP1800R doesn't get me wet unless I try to get wet.

My question for @WaterDR ... Did switching the ride plate on your FX to the Riva plate result in less spray? ... dryer ride?

+1
    I put a Riva ride plate on my stock 2019 FX SVHO and went from 68mph to nearly 72mph (GPS not speedo). Ride is way drier. No more spray on my face. Love to hear what the '22 ride plate does for the ski.

+1
    I would have to imagine that the only thing really separating the FX and the Ultra now in terms of ocean off shore riding is the shape of the hull.

So it would be great if either someone does a good comparison of them specifically for this type of riding, or even better if I come across someone near me with a 22 FX so I can do detailed comparison testing myself.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
    19+ fxsvho are speed limited, 14-18 fx are not

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDroneRacer View Post
    From what I understand, the 2022 ride plate for the FX SVHO has a upward bend at the rear which helps lift the nose of the PWC. According to Kevin Shaw, this results in a dryer ride.
    I will pick up my new 2021 FX Cruiser SVHO Saturday morning. I am very interested to see if what Kevin is saying is correct. How significant is the spray? My GP1800R doesn't get me wet unless I try to get wet.

My question for @WaterDR ... Did switching the ride plate on your FX to the Riva plate result in less spray? ... dryer ride?
    I honestly have no idea…so I guess that means “no” or rather I have not noticed. But the ride plate swap on it is a must. Looks like a different plate on the 2022s and it’s different between the SVHO and the HO if I understand correctly.

+1
    I rode my new 21 FX Cruiser SVHO yesterday. My son and I swapped [a few times] between our new 21 GP1800R SVHO and the FX. The FX definitely sprayed my face more. Nothing too annoying, but if you wanted to remain dry, the spray is enough to get you wet. The GP doesn't do that unless you try to get wet. All that to say, I understand what Kevin Shaw is talking about.

By the way, the FX is definitely more comfortable than the GP in chop. After the 1.5 hour break in, we finally had a chance to test the acceleration of the FX. Both SVHO's are just as fast. Standing up on the GP is easier because the seat is narrower.
    Last edited by TXDroneRacer; 09-02-2021 at 05:50 AM.

+1
    On the 2019 FX the indicated speed is directly connected to the revs and has no relevance to actual speed. That means it has a rev limiter only, nothing to do with speed.
    Max speed indicated is 112 kph regardless of movement through the water. 112kph = 7800rpm. In forward it does 6kph at idle on the trailer!

Are the 2022 plates compatible with prior years? I haven't been impressed with the Riva's quality and would like Yamaha's plate. Anybody have a part # for the 2022 plate if compatible?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information