Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    +1
    I bought this as a rescue ski from some guy who really didn't know what he was doing. I was told, by him, that he sent the crank to crankworks, they lost it, so they stroked a 750 crank for him for free and sent him that. He was obsessed with thinking crankworks put the end of the crank on wrong and the timing was way off, and that the rod length was wrong and the squish was completely off. He was so adamant the end of the crank was wrong he paid someone to machine new slots in the timing plate so he could rotate it an extra 20 or 30 degrees.

An identical mark in the middle case is there, I am assuming it's because he let water sit in the cases previously and that's why he originally had to send it out to crankworks. That mark that a rod leaves when it's rubbing against the bottom of a crank, like a skidmark down the middle.

This ski was a huge problem ski when I got it, the guy forgot to put in a wrist pin clip, and put one in with the gap not facing up or down. He never got it running right, filled the head pipes up with sand/salt and let it sit. He was a complete idiot, I've been chasing problems in this ski the whole time.

He ran the water cooling the watcon way (sort of), but never put the check valve in the line feeding the waterbox. I assume that had to do with water flowing back into the cases. I put one in as soon as I got the ski but he spent a lot of time trying to get it running properly.

I can take more pictures of the cases, I do think someone has been filing on stuff in there. Knowing him he did start sanding and filing things down not realizing cases are machined as a factory match. There are definite filing/sanding marks where the bearings sit.

He basically gave up on it and sold it to me for cheap. I bought it as a parts ski but ended up getting it running pretty well. I would absolutely believe without a doubt he did something stupid to the cases, I've always had problems getting this thing to tune properly and it's always been a constant fight, like there's very very small air leaks somewhere that keeps messing with me when tuning. Just enough to seal up fine one day and give me nice piston wash and plug readings and then to be on the lean side the next ride.

I'm not gonna give up on it though. It's my second pro and it's been more of a learning process for things I've never had to touch. I barely ever touched the bottom of my other pro for the almost 20 years I've had it.

If you're talking about the ring on the end of PTO, he glued it into the cases so bad I couldn't even get it out, I just assumed I'd be putting on a new bearing (if I even re-use this crank, which seems extremely unlikely).

It's probably my fault for giving this guy too much credit to be able to put together a bottom end.

Thank you all for your help. Sounds like I need a core crank to fix and some cases.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Sorry, I got nothing more to add.

Just wanted to say hello to Art and Rich. Good to see you guys.
    Hey hey hey!!! What’s up Kev??? Long time!!!

+1

Here's some better pictures of the cases. I don't know where all this pitting is coming from, it's almost like it sat filled with water for a while and someone came through and media blasted it clean. Actually looks like there's some corrosion in the center cylinder in one of the pictures. Why would this happen? There's no way it came out from the factory like this, there's pitting in places that should be machined out and not cast. So if it was some really bad casting marks it wouldn't show up where it was machined. Not to mention I really doubt Polaris would ship something like this. The machine was in Michigan, then shipped to Florida (and ran in salt water). But the guy told me it was in salt water for 15 minutes. I think he is an idiot who is full of BS, though.

This machine never ceases to amaze me. I bought it as a parts machine and ended up fixing it because I'm greedy, but it's always entertaining. I have a project thread for this ski somewhere on these forums, I guess this is gonna turn into another one. I just wonder how many people the PO has killed, he is always working on high performance street bikes for other people lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210919_155305.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	478673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210919_155300.jpg 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	478674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210919_155255.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	478675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210919_155220.jpg 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	478676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210919_155213.jpg 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	478677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210919_155209.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	478678  

+1
    I've run into this kind of stuff before. The previous owner probably put this together to the best of his ability. Also probably thinks he is a much better mechanic than he ACTUALLY is. He just hasn't figured that out yet. Some of these guys will slowly get better through the years. Some have reached their peak and whole heartedly, truly believe, that they are a very profficient wrench! I happen to be sorting through a Seadoo right now that had MULTIPLE owner/mechanic caused issues.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    I've run into this kind of stuff before. The previous owner probably put this together to the best of his ability. Also probably thinks he is a much better mechanic than he ACTUALLY is. He just hasn't figured that out yet. Some of these guys will slowly get better through the years. Some have reached their peak and whole heartedly, truly believe, that they are a very profficient wrench! I happen to be sorting through a Seadoo right now that had MULTIPLE owner/mechanic caused issues.
    That is him in a nutshell, lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information