Banned User

Polaris 2002 Virage not charging battery

Hi PWC pros,

I have a wet celled conventional battery installed and it will not maintain a charge after using it for a day. I know I should have an AGM battery. I can pull it out and trickle charge it to full charge in about 3 hours with a motomaster car charger. The ski starts great for about a day and then turns over but doesn't start. I've been learning lots about batteries from this forum.When it's fully cranking, the MFD indicates over 13volts, sometimes 15.5 volts which I know is too much. After a day of use the resting voltage is under 12 volts and the cranking voltage is below 9.5volts, which I know won't start the engine. It eventually give me the low battery indication.Could this be a defective battery or my charging system. I'll be bringing a multitester to the ski on the weekend to run some diagnostics listed on this forum.
    Any ideas?

AGM or wet cell should not matter for charging. I would suspect your charging system is the issue. put a volt meter on the battery while running. should be somewhere around 14.3-14.6 volt.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sapphire99 View Post
    trickle charge it to full charge in about 3 hours with a motomaster car charger.

… When it's fully cranking, the MFI indicates over 13 volts, sometimes 15.5 volts which I know is too much. …
    What does fully cranking mean?

The voltage shown on the MFI display (MFD is on the older models of Polaris) may not be accurate.

A decent multimeter set to measure DC voltage with the meter probes right on the battery posts is the best way to measure charging system voltage, with the engine running. Should be at least 13.5 volts with a well charged battery installed.

Fully charging a depleted 19 amp-hour PWC battery in three hours is not a ‘trickle’ charge. That is a fairly fast charge rate for these compact Powersports batteries, maybe 6-8 amps?

Thread Information