Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tips for infrequently used ski?

Hello everyone,

I am the owner of a 2018 Kawasaki Ultra LX since new. Currently sitting on 22 hours. Love the ski! The wife and I moved back to Ohio from Florida about a year and a half ago. I used to live right on a lake in Florida, so using the ski wasn't an issue. In Ohio, not so much. Wife won't let me sell the ski. She likes when things are paid off to keep them. I get it. We are both in our mid 50's, so it doesn't get used as much as we'd like. Looking for tips for infrequently used skis. Mine looks/runs like new. Oil changed out each year, plugs pulled at the end of season and cylinders fogged. I fill the gas tank a few gallons each month, with appropriate stabilizer, in the winter and in the spring I siphon it all out and start fresh. Ski is 100% stored inside. I wash and wax it just like it's brand new. Any other ideas to help prevent any deterioration? Thanks gents!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozman01 View Post
    … 2018 Kawasaki Ultra LX since new. … 22 hours.

… when things are paid off to keep them.

… Mine looks/runs like new. ...
    Are you aware of the current market conditions for well maintained used PWC?

You could probably sell it for the same or possibly more than the price of a new one. Supply of new is nearly zero and demand for used PWC is high. You could effectively have zero depreciation on a four year old PWC.

There are rumours that Kawasaki is updating the larger models in the near future, so you may have the opportunity to sell now and buy something much newer.

+1
    It sounds like you have covered everything. I also store my ski with the seat removed and hanging on the wall. This prevents condensation in the bilge and dries the seat out.

4. +1 by:

If it's anything like the rest of the market, I probably should take a look. I got a great price on it new, so I should look into it. Will do that today and see what reaction I get from the wife.

Continental trailer is in impeccable condition as well. New bearings and 3 tires. I tend to replace things before it is needed.

+1
    If it's anything like the rest of the market, I probably should take a look.

… Will do that today and see what reaction I get from the wife.
    https://watercraftjournal.com/galler...bigger-reveal/

Rumors may not translate into reality, wait and see.

Would you be staying with Kawasaki or also consider the other two brands for your next ski?

I'm a "Kawasaki" guy. Not 100% loyal to any brand, but right next to the ski I've got my 2017 Kawasaki Voyager 1700 and 1977 Kawasaki KZ650. Kawasaki has always been good to me. Thanks for the link!

Seems the 22' Ultra LX is essentially the same as my 18'. Except mine has a bilge, blower, and depth-finder installed

+1
    Seems the 2022 Ultra LX is essentially the same as my 2018.

Except mine has
    Five model years more depreciation baked into a future sale, after this current demand craziness subsides in a couple of years.

In another five years you could be selling a five year old 2022 model or your ~ten year old 2018 model. Each with effectively the same starting cost. The newer model might fetch more resale value.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Be sure to follow the owner's manual when winterizing. There is a low spot in the cooling system that does not drain. The book says to disconnect the hose to completely drain it. I prefer to run Marine/RV antifreeze through it.

Also, I completely siphon all the auto gas out of my 'Skis at the end of the season and put about 2 gallons of 100 octane avgas in them, then run them on the hose for a few minutes to circulate it through the fuel system. Avgas will last for years. Ideally, one would fill the tank with avgas to prevent condensation, but that would get very expensive. Also, avgas is very highly leaded and will foul spark plugs and contaminate the oil. Next season, top the tank with unleaded fuel and you're good to go.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information