Ultra 260x - Head Replacment - 1st timer on the rebuild.

Heya all,

Got my new Cylinder Head and all the valves/gaskets/seals etc now ready to rebuild and go back together and get this ultra on the water again.
    My first time on a rebuild, following the manual closely and all is mostly making sense. As the head is out and the I was going to build the head on the bench and get the clearnces perfect before putting it back in.

With the Vavle Clearance's, is there a IDEAL/PREFFERED clearance, seems a fair range I can pick from once I see where it is with the shims I have.

I have brand new SBT valves (and 1 CYL all OEM Valves, i ran out of $$$). Im sure I will have to go shim shopping once I get it back togehter the first time (who ever had it set before I got the machine had "0" on all Exhaust Valves)" I got shaffted by my mechanic and so I decided to teach myself. I found a hole in #2 head from a water leak coming from "exhats gasket" and OEM intercooler was leaking. New Intercooler is in.

Whats the recommend gasket sealent to use for any/all the head/mainifolds etc? Im told make sure its orange or grey?

After thoughts on the marks on Cylidner #1 with the below, I didnt really want to pull apart bottom end and touch all this area. Im told it looks like ring chatter and should be okay?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valves ultra 260.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	476947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	222704332_320371209789572_4780461305272425630_n.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	476949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	227909214_953099365252146_1958137793790555462_n.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	476950  

+1
    No sealant is used on any of the gaskets. The only sealant used on this motor is between the upper and lower crankcase.

Make sure you are using a head with the updated cooling port configuration.

Marks on the cylinder probably will not matter initially, but might lead to Nikasil failure in the future.

It might be easier to check clearance when the motor is assembled. On the bench, it can be a little tricky to get the camshafts to the correct position to measure clearance.

Thanks for quick reply,
    Noted on the gasket sealant, I wasnt sure if as the manifolds/exhast dropper pipe are not new and dont have pefect surfaces. (ski has 202hours).
    The head is brand new and the shop tells me that it is the updated head, is there a way to tell? This is what part#'s I ordered.

Part #11008-3711

OEM11008-3711, 11008-3712

I was worried about a possible failure, I doubt i have the skill set to fix the cylidner myself, im this far down before reassemble, I can keep pulling parat and give it to an engine builder to repair, but my local kawa repairs that i contacted all said its pretty tough i wouldnt bother touching it (the main reason im double checking here)

The only parts im concered about above my usual skills is getting valves set and the timing correct lol

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post
    No sealant is used on any of the gaskets. The only sealant used on this motor is between the upper and lower crankcase.

Make sure you are using a head with the updated cooling port configuration.

Marks on the cylinder probably will not matter initially, but might lead to Nikasil failure in the future.

It might be easier to check clearance when the motor is assembled. On the bench, it can be a little tricky to get the camshafts to the correct position to measure clearance.

Well just measured all my clearances, got most of them pretty close on my first install, but I do want to get some closer to spec.

Where is the best target Clearnces on the charts?
    Right in the middle or am I best off leaning to a maximum clearance then toward a minimum (as it gets tighter over time?)?

Inlet Min/Max = 0.15/0.24mm - Targert @ 0.20mm?
    Exhaust Min/Max = 0.32/0.41mm - Target @ 0.35mm?

Also is there a good way to find TDC for #1 and #4 Cylinders - is visually okay?
    I don't have access to all the special tools in the service book?

Quote Originally Posted by Macca177 View Post
    Well just measured all my clearances, got most of them pretty close on my first install, but I do want to get some closer to spec.

Where is the best target Clearnces on the charts?
    Right in the middle or am I best off leaning to a maximum clearance then toward a minimum (as it gets tighter over time?)?

Inlet Min/Max = 0.15/0.24mm - Targert @ 0.20mm?
    Exhaust Min/Max = 0.32/0.41mm - Target @ 0.35mm?

Also is there a good way to find TDC for #1 and #4 Cylinders - is visually okay?
    I don't have access to all the special tools in the service book?
    You can lean closer to tight if ya want.

To find TDC pull the front timing cover off. On the timing rotor there is a line on the front side, you line that up horizontally with the seam of the upper/lower cases and that puts you at TDC for 1&4, the service book is helpful and worth getting

Thread Information