Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    not throwing a code when the cam sensor is pulled is a clear fault couple of code chartts I found indicated there was an error #24 when the "ex cam sensor" faulted, there should be a good list in your service manual, but at the least you should be getting a check engine lamp when the cam sensor is unplugged..and without the input of the cam sensor the ignition system doesn't really know where the engine "is" as far as which cylinder is at tdc, sure the plugs may fire, but when the engine is up on the exhaust stroke, there's nothing left to burn. Is that a 120 crank or a 180 crank, again, I don't have any inside experience on that motor. Up till now it's just been oil changes at my place. looks like a pretty solid engine that's easy to work on.

looking more like an ECU fault

you did mention a ways back that somebody flashed it and that's where a few error codes came from. why exactly was it flashed?

i would not tear into the engine, it was running, it has good compression and the timing chain looked good\

now I was hesitant to suggest this before, but seeing that you're about to drop some serious money looking at an ecu replacement($1000+) , disconnect the rubber hose from the exhaust system at the manifold so there is NO PLASTIC bits getting exhaust gas then switch the plugs leads around. wear earmuff and googles.

try a couple of cranks and see what you get, expect a ginormous backfire or two and plan accordingly, on the other hand the motor _might_ start if you hit the right combination

I'd give riva Yamaha in florida call and see if somebody there can confirm the functionality of the ecu as it's my number one suspect

I'd also be taking a hard look at the wiring from the cam sensor to the ecu

I'll trace back the wiring to the cam sensor. Good call. I'll reach out to Riva to see if they can assist or verify ECU function on one of these.

It was flashed with the Riva Stage 1 for some additional horsepower. It was flashed before I purchased it, and while it has never run right for me, I could have been part of the issue, specifically the low oil. When I did get it started, or have it started, it had a terrible vibration at idle. But apply any throttle, just a tiny bit, and it would settle down. This was all done on a hose.

No issues trying the item above with the plug coils. But again, these things are on a tight pigtail from the factory. So tight there would be no way to put the one from cylinder 1 into 3 for example. I guess what I'm saying is I'm pretty confident they are in the correct order. Was this suggestion a way to determine if they were?

In any case, my upcoming hunts give me a "cooling off" period to hopefully wait on the results of shipping a ECU off for testing...and not starting to turn bolts, LOL
    Last edited by AKShooter; 08-30-2021 at 06:47 PM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if it was flashed, there is a possibility that riva can restore the original tune to it for a nominal charge ( a map tuner is kinda pricey, and you would need the license code too), but perhaps riva can address that also)

perhaps the previous owner dicked around with the fuel/timing map too..I'd go back to the standard tune get it up and running and go from there.

I believe Jesus is the guy you really need to talk too at riva about this.

call riva before you do anything else, that may very well be the answer here. I'm sure you're tiring of poking around the wiring and not seeing any results

Just an update, but I'm crating the motor up to get it to a professional. End of the day they have to tools and spares to better diagnose and repair the motor, I'm hoping.

But as I was removing the motor, when I removed the water lock I had about 2-3 cups of fuel in there. Maybe just confirmation that I'm indeed getting fuel. But just wanted to add this. I will certainly post what the ultimate issue was!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AKShooter View Post
    … as I was removing the motor, when I removed the water lock I had about 2-3 cups of fuel in there. …
    What is a water lock?

Big aluminum "can" off the exhaust. Or at least that's what the manual calls it...

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AKShooter View Post
    Big aluminum "can" off the exhaust.
    Or at least that's what the manual calls it...
    Language translation or transcription error, would be my guess. Known as the waterbox in my experience.

Page shown from the 2017 GP1800 service manual

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	610B5AC3-07FE-4929-BFF3-6C6AC171ADAC.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	478542  
    Last edited by K447; 09-16-2021 at 10:40 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information