Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AKShooter View Post
    Well. My motor still won't start. But may have identified the cause. I had some feedback that while an EX might show full of a dipstick, could still be low if oil was not changed correctly. I believe this is my case because as a trouble shooting item, pumped out the oil last night for a change. I'm not sure how I had this confused this bad, but only pulled 1.5 quarts out. I'm guessing that had to be the issue, or reason the ski was going into limp mode. Tracks with the manual.

I went and added 3 quarts properly, yes still slightly low, but was also not able to start ski so oil was changed on a cold motor. Replaced oil filter. Dipstick reports at half-way between low and full at the moment. I also changed the plugs, the ones installed did smell like fuel, so I figured why not. Have not checked compression, on the list for tonight.

In any case the motor will still not start. No new codes are shown. Was wondering if there is something else I need to reset or do, possibly thinking the ski has someone shut itself down and needs something reset? In Candoo, the staus of the sensor in "ON" Hoping to get into a yamaha shop early next week.
    I suspect a timing chain problem but somebody else more familiar with the safety system of the tr-1 might chime in

I never heard of a low oil sensor preventing an engine start

The smell of fuel on the plugs points to the timing chain, engine compression may show good

Only a handful of bolts to pull the valve cover to check it out

Your ski doesn’t have a security remote, does it?

I’m not fully buying into the oil change business, best recheck the level after you get an engine start, just to be sure

nmpeter. Thanks for sticking with this, even after my d!psh&t move. My local guy still has not called me back to schedule a time, guessing I'll loose the rest of this season, in AK is a pretty short one. But I'll hit compression and then look into timing.

No security remote on this one. I only ask about the lock since I read it on another posrt about an EX that would not start.

Okay, finally got some decent data to post.

-Compression, I'm at 180 across all three cylinders. Also, while performing the compression test was getting gas.

So at that point, really thinking me not getting a spark is the issue. Hooked it up to the Candoo, and tested ignition. While they sound a little different, intensity, but all three were sparking.

Timing still has not been checked, but that is next, have been a little hesitant to pop a valve cover off. Dumb question I know, but do I have to remove oil to take valve cover off?

But at this point, even if the timing was off, and I was getting fuel and spark I should be getting combustion? I'm back to thinking that even while I'm getting spark on the Candoo, I'm not getting spark just trying to start? Is that possible?

Or if the timing is off, is there a condition where there is spark and fuel present, that you would not get combustion?

+1
    Okay, finally got some decent data to post.

-Compression, I'm at 180 across all three cylinders. Also, while performing the compression test was getting gas.

So at that point, really thinking me not getting a spark is the issue. Hooked it up to the Candoo, and tested ignition. While they sound a little different, intensity, but all three were sparking.

Timing still has not been checked, but that is next, have been a little hesitant to pop a valve cover off. Dumb question I know, but do I have to remove oil to take valve cover off?

But at this point, even if the timing was off, and I was getting fuel and spark I should be getting combustion? I'm back to thinking that even while I'm getting spark on the Candoo, I'm not getting spark just trying to start? Is that possible?

Or if the timing is off, is there a condition where there is spark and fuel present, that you would not get combustion?
    You do not have to drain the oil

Spark and fuel must happen at the exact moment or the most you may see is a little wisp of smoke or maybe a small backfire, or a big bada boom if enough fumes build up in the resonator and are ignited

Pull the cover to confirm the timing chain is actually turning the cam

Or pull a plug lead and stick a plug in it lay it on the head and see if it sparks when the engine is cranking

No check engine light correct?

How old is the fuel?

Case in point I had a 4 tec in a few years back where the timing was off about 30 degrees due to a flywheel /timing wheel installation error

Didn’t even backfire

Reinstalled it correctly, engine fired at the first touch of the button

Confirm the chain is in play and we’ll move ahead to the fuel system then the ignition

As it’s said…the answer is out there…

Fuel is about 3 weeks old. 90 octane. No engine lights are coming on

so this is what it looks like. Timing chain, while I can depress it is tight. There is no path in the manual to check timing. What am I missing?

I did see the SVHO timing chain inspection video on here. Just bumping over motor and inspecting. I performed that operation. No damage that I could see. The timing chain does indeed move the cams.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B82F69A-E338-4C10-8033-D87AFC48E1A8.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	477207  
    Last edited by AKShooter; 08-14-2021 at 06:21 PM.

+1
    ok

good work

next up is fuel system

button the valve cover up

before you put the plugs in dribble a teapoon(!) of gas down each jug, get the plugs in ( take your time eh?) and ...

what happens when you crank it?

ive got a leaning to the fuel pump not being up to the snuff...

peskly little bastard as they don't:

throw a check light when they are bad
    -and-
    can trick you by dribbling fuel into the engine

so you dribble your own fuel into the jug and we see what we see

if you get a cough and sputter for a few seconds and then it dies, pull the injector rail, bag the injectors well and spin the engine ( fire hazard precautions in effect)..injector should spray, not dribble

compression confirmed
    spark confirmed ( well kinda), need to know about the sparking with the plug on the head when the engine is spun, still a suspect
    timing chain intact ( luckily)
    so the dribble test will tell us if the other elements are in play

Will do on all above. Appreciate the help.

I keep going back to the "clunk" I heard when this whole thing started. My starter was actually just not engaging,,,,and the fix was odd. I put the plugs and caps back on the the starter was back to turning it over. But have you ever heard of a crank or anything like that causing no spark? Or something getting out of timing?

I extended the fuel plugs, as a matter of course I'm going to re-do those. Get a good soldered joint on them
    Last edited by AKShooter; 08-15-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Just went and put about a teaspoon of fuel per directions above. Nothing, turns over just fine, no spark! But I can fire the plugs connected to the Candoo. So spark with the candoo, no spark without it. Thoughts?

+1
    Just went and put about a teaspoon of fuel per directions above. Nothing, turns over just fine, no spark! But I can fire the plugs connected to the Candoo. So spark with the candoo, no spark without it. Thoughts?
    Ignition trigger coil or battery issue

Red herring:ecu security lockout

Not all that familiar with tr1 quirks only have done oil changes on them to date

Common sense rules may not apply here but at least the problem is now clearly ignition

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    pull coils off plugs, leave plugs in, use another set of plugs placed in the end of coils , let them sit on the head.
    crank ski over and see if plugs are sparking...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information