Thread: Slow oil loss

Question Slow oil loss

I've been trying to figure out where my 260 is losing oil. Over the last 10 hours my oil level went from halfway between the marks to level with the lower mark.

- I don't see any smoke at startup or at any other time. Catch can is virtually dry, bottom is damp but not enough to even pour out. Ski just GPSd at 82 over the weekend at full rpm so she's healthy. Valve stem seals have probably 30 hours.

- I don't see any signs of oil inside the hull on any spots where oil might come out from; valve cover, pto boot/bearing, pto gasket, front oil pump, oil cooler... all dry to the touch

- No oil residue at throttle body so the charger seal is not leaking. Slight residue at charger inlet but only noticeable if you run your finger over the inlet surface.

- Plugs look perfect

- Coolant is clean

Any ideas because I've ran out. I don't remember seeing oil consumption as part of running high RPMs. This is more of an annoyance than anything else, ski seems fine.

+1
    Water pump leak ?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20210803-101732_Adobe%20Acrobat.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	476839

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aperxp View Post
    I've been trying to figure out where my 260 is losing oil. Over the last 10 hours my oil level went from halfway between the marks to level with the lower mark.

- I don't see any smoke at startup or at any other time. Catch can is virtually dry, bottom is damp but not enough to even pour out. Ski just GPSd at 82 over the weekend at full rpm so she's healthy. Valve stem seals have probably 30 hours.

- I don't see any signs of oil inside the hull on any spots where oil might come out from; valve cover, pto boot/bearing, pto gasket, front oil pump, oil cooler... all dry to the touch

- No oil residue at throttle body so the charger seal is not leaking. Slight residue at charger inlet but only noticeable if you run your finger over the inlet surface.

- Plugs look perfect

- Coolant is clean

Any ideas because I've ran out. I don't remember seeing oil consumption as part of running high RPMs. This is more of an annoyance than anything else, ski seems fine.

If your ski is open loop cooling, the oil is in whatever body of water you were riding in. Replace oil cooler! At idle you will see the rainbow colors of oil in the water!

Quote Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
    Water pump leak ?
    That spot is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    If your ski is open loop cooling, the oil is in whatever body of water you were riding in. Replace oil cooler! At idle you will see the rainbow colors of oil in the water!
    Closed loop, no idea where the oil ends up. Coolant is clean, nothing noticeable in the hull and no smoke at any time.

+1
    Start up your pwc and rev for 3 or 4 seconds at 4000 rpms and pull the lanyard off while its revving. Wait 1 minute and check your oil level with the engine leveled. Top it to the top mark.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tiderider View Post
    Start up your pwc and rev for 3 or 4 seconds at 4000 rpms and pull the lanyard off while its revving. Wait 1 minute and check your oil level with the engine leveled. Top it to the top mark.
    This advice is exactly counter to that given in the operator's manual, as I understand it. The dipstick checks the level in the scavenge sump which is then pumped by the oil pump into the supply sump. By revving the engine and immediately shutting it down the oil level in the scavenge sump is temporarily higher than it is during normal operation. Adding oil based on this measure will result in overfilling the system.

I think I'll try new valve stem seals. I'm thinking its leaking past them while running slow enough not to cause smoke but enough to drop the level after several hours.

If it was going passed the rings, I'm assuming, I would be seeing a lot more in the catch can which I'm not.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    This advice is exactly counter to that given in the operator's manual, as I understand it. The dipstick checks the level in the scavenge sump which is then pumped by the oil pump into the supply sump. By revving the engine and immediately shutting it down the oil level in the scavenge sump is temporarily higher than it is during normal operation. Adding oil based on this measure will result in overfilling the system.
    It is the correct way of doing so. Haven't lost an engine and its always full to the top notch and not overfilled.

Riva valve tool finally came in handy, new seals are in. There was oil behind each seal hmm not sure if thats normal but I would imagine if oil is there it will trickle down the valve guide.

+1
    It can be the piston rings as well. If it was a rebuilt, its possible that the second ring was put in wrong, upside down push some oil up.

Thread Information