Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

2021 gp1800 svho cooling upgrade

Ok, so Iíve perused the old threads as best I can, and it seems thereís a LOT of variance in the way people handle these cooling upgrades! Hereís where Iím at, and where Iím going: Stage 1+ getting installed, i.e. power filter, engine crankcase breather, 13/20 impeller, blowoff valve, and ribbon delete. Also have a riva gen 2 intake grate + ride plate doing at same time as impeller).
    In the not so distant future I see an intercooler upgrade coming (not certain, but leaning towards riva, fizzle is close second), and a worx free flow exhaust (I like the not having to cut factory plastic, plus the rubber hose seems to absorb some resonance).
    Which brings me to my question. When I do my intercooler upgrade, I like the camp of running extra line off strainer straight to intercooler, and the old intercooler line goes to an anode port. What Iím wondering, since Iíll have ride plate + impeller out, should I just go ahead and run this dedicated line now? Canít possible over cool stock intercooler, but the anode might be too much? Also, should I drill out any of the T-fittings if Iím doing the dedicated intercooler line? And what do guys do if they start with stage 1 (meaning they drill t-fittings) then go to stage 2? My guess is Iíll stop just short of retainer necessary mods (for now)

I was in a similar analysis a couple of weeks ago, Transitioning from stage 1 to 1+Ö in my case I decided to install the high flow strainer and put a NPT plug to the secondary line. Only Drilled fitting for the intercooler line with a 21/64 ď bit. In the future when I remove the pump I will do the dedicated line to the intercooler. In your case I would do the dedicated secondary line to the IC now since you already have that pump out. I decided not to add the anode fitting, seeing so many stories about cracked heads makes me suspicious about injecting cold water directly to that areaÖ. Possible thermal shock? Just my thought (I know many will think differently).

ÖAnd Did not drilled the oil cooler fitting and didnít do the breather, both seems to relate to gas in the oil due to Excessive oil cooling and lack of vacuum in the crankcase.

+1
    I actually found a thread just a bit ago, a ‘17 gp svho, had about exactly like I was thinking for cooling, only drilled x-fitting, dedicated intercooler line, old line to anode. About that crankcase vacuum, I always wondered why SeaDoo guys where all over their catch cans, and I see nothing in Yamaha posts about it. Had thought to run one, but imma play sheep and be a follower this year! Maybe once new intercooler goes in I’ll get serious about fabrication of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhund View Post
    I actually found a thread just a bit ago, a Ď17 gp svho, had about exactly like I was thinking for cooling, only drilled x-fitting, dedicated intercooler line, old line to anode. About that crankcase vacuum, I always wondered why SeaDoo guys where all over their catch cans, and I see nothing in Yamaha posts about it. Had thought to run one, but imma play sheep and be a follower this year! Maybe once new intercooler goes in Iíll get serious about fabrication of something.
    Yes, many people seem to follow that approach

+1
    my FZ has dedicated line to intercooler, and the old line goes to Anode. that's it for extra cooling. and in Alabama heat with turbo no issues.

+1
    Seems a pretty common approach…I’d guess the water that was going to intercooler that is now going to engine (both thru anode and extra volume thru normal connections) makes the difference. I’m pretty set on doing it with just dedicated intercooler line and old line to an anode. And my rides aren’t in very hot temps, Michigan sees 80-90s, but water isn’t over 75 most all summer.

+1
    Yes, you're 100% correct

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhund View Post
    Seems a pretty common approach…I’d guess the water that was going to intercooler that is now going to engine (both thru anode and extra volume thru normal connections) makes the difference. I’m pretty set on doing it with just dedicated intercooler line and old line to an anode. And my rides aren’t in very hot temps, Michigan sees 80-90s, but water isn’t over 75 most all summer.

+1
    Any info on where to order the anode from?

+1
    It comes in riva pro cooling kit, and can be ordered stand alone by riva or worx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information