09 Yamaha VX 1100-H Removing exhaust manifold

Looking for some advice on whether or not I should continue removing my exhaust manifold to replace my starter.. The starter is all rusted out, I'd like to pull it before I order a new one. I do not have the means to pull the motor.. so I would have to take it to a mechanic for that.

I have spent most of the day slowly loosening my manifold bolts to get to the starter.... I have a picture with notes on what I have been able to do below. I have 1 bolt on the far left I know will probable snap.. and one in the middle that I barley touched and the head came off.. the rest I feel will come out.... Here are my questions / concerns..

1) If I do end up snapping the last bolt will I still be able to slide the manifold off since the upper half of the bolts are smooth? then I would be able to hopefully vicegrip the snapped bolts out??
    2) I have debated using my torch to heat up at the top where the bolts are.. should / can I do this without pulling the motor?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MANIFOLD BOLTS.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	476778  

+1
    I have done starters on the VX1100 without ever loosening an exhaust bolt. It didn't even take very long. About like doing one on a 4tec Seadoo. Just do it by feel.

I agree.. It took me about 20 min to snake around the manifold and take the starter bolts off.... but I can not get the starter to move.. either wiggling it, prying, tapping etc.. it is on there. I left the Positive wire hooked on top so that I could use it to pull on. I can make another Positive wire if I need to. Every time I reach under there I come back with pieces of starter housing. Unless there is something else holding that sucker on. Any advice / tricks on how to remove a stuck starter?

Here is a pic of my starter and its condition right before I removed the top bolt... Yep it's corroded.. Do I flush and rinse..Absolutely. They were not in that great of shape when I bought them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vx starter.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	476868  

+1
    Oh Jeez.....good luck with that. The nose is stuck in the block. Lay the penetrating oil to the front right at the block. Do it every day for a few days. Can you get a dowel rod or something from the front to beat it backwards?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I got in there with a baby ladyfoot prybar once upon a long time ago in a similar situation..still snapped the nose of the starter off...it was a really bad case of corrosion, the ski was literally a rust bucket. go with the penetrating oil+wd-40 for now..and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Oh Jeez.....good luck with that. The nose is stuck in the block. Lay the penetrating oil to the front right at the block. Do it every day for a few days. Can you get a dowel rod or something from the front to beat it backwards?

I can get a dowel in at the top but the angle is not that great. Hence my thinking attacking it from above through the manifold..Ive been soaking it in wd-40.. I might be able to loop a rope around the pos terminal and try to leverage it out as I tap it from the front.. IDK I've been thinking on it for a few days now.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_s View Post
    I can get a dowel in at the top but the angle is not that great. Hence my thinking attacking it from above through the manifold..Ive been soaking it in wd-40.. I might be able to loop a rope around the pos terminal and try to leverage it out as I tap it from the front.. IDK I've been thinking on it for a few days now.
    Guess Iím flapping my jaw here

Without one of these you have no option BUT to pull the engine

This is the lady foot

I have spoken

Good luck

Name:  IMG_4832.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  10.7 KB

Thread Information