Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

2008 stx 15 189 hours What are the signs of pump failure looming.

Owned since new 2008 stx 15, Has 189 hours and the only thing done is change oil and plugs. Been reading all the bearing issues and I'm super worried that I'm pushing my luck. Are there any signs of pump failure. Ski goes 60 no problem. Never stays in water longer than a week, most times just a few days. Never been in salt water, other than a stick or two in intake grate always been carefull not to ingest sand etc.

It's going in at the end of the season 8 weeks tops and 200 total hours.

Thanks for info.
    Last edited by kyshogan; 08-01-2021 at 07:37 PM. Reason: mispelling

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    obvious signs of pump failure would be rough bearings or water in rear cone upon inspection. Always a good idea to pull pump and check at least once or twice a season.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kyshogan View Post
    Owned since new 2008 stx 15, Has 189 hours and the only thing done is change oil and plugs. Been reading all the bearing issues and I'm super worried that I'm pushing my luck. Are there any signs of pump failure. Ski goes 60 no problem. Never stays in water longer than a week, most times just a few days. Never been in salt water, other than a stick or two in intake grate always been carefull not to ingest sand etc.

It's going in at the end of the season 8 weeks tops and 200 total hours.

Thanks for info.
    200 hours is enough of a sign of looming pump failure

time to pull the tail cone ( easy if your has the plastic hex inspection plug at the end) and check for water

not a bad idea to pull the pump and apply grease where the driveshaft enters the impeller

the failure comes quickly and I've seen the crap out with under 100 hours

the other thing is not removing the pump at least every two years can lead to issues getting the pump off the ski.

checking for any bearing roughness is a seasonal event. ignoring it can cost plenty as the labor to get the destroyed bearings out is difficult

rebuild now and check at 25 hours to be sure the rebuild is holding then every year of 50 hours after that

Pro tip: keep the flushing short, under 3 minutes tops. excessive time on the hose is the number one reason these pumps fail if anybody asks.....

without being in water the pump quickly gets too hot, a seal spring fails and then the destruction begins.....

+1
    Well I've never flushed my unit so maybe that's a good thing. It's at mechanic now to get pump done.

+1
    like everything in life, moderation is the key to happiness

lets hope the bearing are intact ( I expect somehow they are) so the labor on the pump work won't be hideous

and removing a pumnp that has been off recently makes your follow up work possible. A stuck pump is bad even for folks that do this for a living

+1
    Upgrade to the double bearing setup while the pump is being serviced.

+1
    Thx he mentioned that when I first spoke to him but I call him tomorrow and make sure he's planning on upgrade.

+1
    and as you said.."that is how ITS DONE"!

don't miss that thread if you have the heartbreak of total bearing failure

10. +1 by:

Pro tip: keep the flushing short, under 3 minutes tops. excessive time on the hose is the number one reason these pumps fail if anybody asks.....

without being in water the pump quickly gets too hot, a seal spring fails and then the destruction begins.....
    As far as running on flush no more than 3 minutes being pro tip I totally disagree. I have over 300 hours on my pump. The pump has no load for one, secondly it is like wheel bearings on a car. Run the flush until you cannot taste salt in the exhaust. Seadoos have a requirement of limited hose time due to a water cooled/lubed carbon seal shaft support but not STX15Fs. A good flush on 15F takes as long as it takes. The shaft steady bearing on 15F runs in a dry situation using rubber seals and it's fine.Lots of water running through the pump during flush too and pump seals are grease lubed.
    Last edited by rotortiller; 08-18-2021 at 06:23 AM. Reason: truth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information