Need help replacing Starter relay on 2016 TR-1 motor

I need some help and tips on how to remove and replace the starter relay on my 2016 VX TR-1 motor. Yes, I purchased the service manual from this website but it does tell you how the relay attaches or detaches from the engine. I have the new part I just can't get access because it is under the air intake. I have tested the battery and all the other fuses and relays in the fuse box. The all tested for continuity. I hear the clicking noise so my best guess is the starter relay, if it is the actual started I will just take it to a shop but I wanted to try to replace the relay first. It feels like it might sit in a rubber gasket like the fuse box does, but I can't seem to get off. Also, I removed all the spark plugs to check for hydro lock. Also, nothing blocking the jet pump either. Help please.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Right hand side of motor , reach under the the throttle body.
    It is just "stuck" on with the rubber around the solenoid onto 2 tabs on the airbox..

Pry down and up and it will pop off the tabs..
    You can pull it clear of the mounting tabs and try to jump the terminals with screwdriver to test wires and starter.

Just a heads up , I have replaced just as many ground wires as I have tr-1 solenoids..

Thanks. What would be a good way to test if I have a ground wire issue? Could I run a new ground from battery to engine block to Test? I did feel that the solenoid seem to be on mounting tabs. I just need to pry a little harder I guess. I hear the buzzing noise which leads me to the solenoid. By the way, Yamaha calls it a starter relay, but I think this is really just a solenoid correct?

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gpounders View Post
    Thanks. What would be a good way to test if I have a ground wire issue? Could I run a new ground from battery to engine block to Test? I did feel that the solenoid seem to be on mounting tabs. I just need to pry a little harder I guess. I hear the buzzing noise which leads me to the solenoid. By the way, Yamaha calls it a starter relay, but I think this is really just a solenoid correct?
    I use small jumper cables to test. From Ground on battery to engine block.
    Always undo and re tighten battery cables , if you can move cable to the right and it becomes loose It wasn't tight enough .
    The other real test is pull relay off tabs and put a battery load tester on the starter side cable and see if you are getting good voltage and good amperage when you hit start.

Update: It was the starter relay. I took to a PWC mechanic and he replaced it. Unfortunately, when he loosened the airbox to gain access he broke off the tip of my fuel rail so now I am 2 steps back as I wait for a replacement part for that. ughh... Good news he disconnected the fuel pump and tested that the engine turned over. I don't understand why yamaha makes that fuel rail out of plastic.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I don't quite understand why your mechanic isn't ponying up for the replacement fuel rail..... since it had nothing to do with the problem you you came in for and was a simple bit of carelessness on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I don't quite understand why your mechanic isn't ponying up for the replacement fuel rail..... since it had nothing to do with the problem you you came in for and was a simple bit of carelessness on his part.
    He is but I was wondering if there was a better metal version

Thread Information