Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

I Need a Longer-Lasting Spark Plug - Which plug?

2005 RXT 4-Tec Supercharged 215HP. I've always used the OEM spark plugs (NGK DCPR8E gapped to 0.03”). But, they "go bad" on a regular basis. They are not fouled nor burned, and don't have any signs of abnormality when looking at the tips...... one of them simply goes bad. This necessitates that I change all 3 plugs. I would like to find a plug that will last longer. Suggestions for longer-lasting plugs? Please advise. Thanks.

+1
    Any mods on this ski? I have the same machine an no issues with the plugs at all.
    How many hrs are the plugs lasting? Do you let the engine warm up when cold for a few min before you go wot?
    What's your top speed and rpm

+1
    You need to figure out what is causing the plug to go bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by browan View Post
    2005 RXT 4-Tec Supercharged 215HP. I've always used the OEM spark plugs (NGK DCPR8E gapped to 0.03”). But, they "go bad" on a regular basis. They are not fouled nor burned, and don't have any signs of abnormality when looking at the tips...... one of them simply goes bad. This necessitates that I change all 3 plugs. I would like to find a plug that will last longer. Suggestions for longer-lasting plugs? Please advise. Thanks.
    The number of other plugs are few and more expensive. Gap your plugs at .028", clean then dress the coils with plenty of dialectic grease. Is it the same plug, same cylinder going bad or is it random?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    2005 RXT 4-Tec Supercharged 215HP. I've always used the OEM spark plugs (NGK DCPR8E. …)

But, they "go bad" on a regular basis.

They are not fouled nor burned, and don't have any signs of abnormality when looking at the tips...... one of them simply goes bad. …
    Is it possible you are buying and using counterfeit spark plugs, not genuine NGK?

Some counterfeits are quite convincing and can be hard to identify as non-genuine. The best defense is to purchase them from a reputable source that is authorized by NGK.

https://medium.com/how-to-self-servi...s-6350c02ad74f

6. +1 by:

+1
    Don't gap them to .03 just put them in at .028 especially if the engine is modified. I change them often sometimes under 10 hours but it runs 8600 and 15 psi. Also high octane causes early failure, fouls them up. Perhaps putting in a powerful 6 or 8 cylinder engine with a lower WOT rpm?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Any mods on this ski? I have the same machine an no issues with the plugs at all.
    How many hrs are the plugs lasting? Do you let the engine warm up when cold for a few min before you go wot?
    What's your top speed and rpm
    Nope, no mods. The plugs last approximately 20 hours. Sometimes a short warm up, sometimes not much of a warm up. I never go from cold to WOT. On glass, I can hit 69mph; not sure what the RPMs are.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    The number of other plugs are few and more expensive. Gap your plugs at .028", clean then dress the coils with plenty of dialectic grease. Is it the same plug, same cylinder going bad or is it random?
    Well... I cannot determine WHICH of the 3 plugs is bad. Why? Because the tips show no signs of problems, i.e., no signs of fouling, burning, etc. Thus, I change all 3 plugs and go on my way. Every time I've changed all 3 plugs, they run like brand new... it's always the plugs. And, it happens to BOTH of my skis (I have 2 identical 2005 RXTs with about identical hours). I will try the 0.028"... thanks for sharing that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is it possible you are buying and using counterfeit spark plugs, not genuine NGK?

Some counterfeits are quite convincing and can be hard to identify as non-genuine. The best defense is to purchase them from a reputable source that is authorized by NGK.

https://medium.com/how-to-self-servi...s-6350c02ad74f
    I found a detailed how-to-spot-NGK-counterfeits article a few years ago. Since then, I've been extremely picky about the plugs I buy. Given this, without me getting a professional opinion from NGK, I'm 99% sure I'
    m using legit plugs.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... it's always the plugs. And, it happens to BOTH of my skis …
    Are all of these spark plugs being purchased from the same source?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information