TR-1 Upgrade Questions...

I have been doing some research on upgrading my 2016 Yamaha V1 with the TR-1 motor. I just got a new wear ring, SOLAS 14/20 Impeller to install tomorrow.

It seems like the only electronic upgrade is the RIVA Map Tuner, or is it? After some poking around it, Yamaha made the UTV YXZ1000 which also uses the TR-1 motor, configured slightly different. DynoJet makes a Power Commander for the UTV, just curious is anyone has tried putting one on a ski?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I would note that in a PWC it is possible to ride at maximum wide open throttle for extended durations. Essentially until you run out of fuel. And the engine cooling system has infinite heat capacity as it draws in fresh lake water continuously.

Since there is no gearbox the tune for the engine must match the impeller load across the power band, since effectively the PWC engine is always in ‘top gear’

On a land vehicle that is not the common operating mode for the engine.

The Riva tune for the TR-1 is specifically configured for that engine in that hull and jet pump.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I would note that in a PWC it is possible to ride at maximum wide open throttle for extended durations. Essentially until you run out of fuel. And the engine cooling system has infinite heat capacity as it draws in fresh lake water continuously.

Since there is no gearbox the tune for the engine must match the impeller load across the power band, since effectively the PWC engine is always in ‘top gear’

On a land vehicle that is not the common operating mode for the engine.

The Riva tune for the TR-1 is specifically configured for that engine in that hull and jet pump.
    The Power Commander does give you the options to mess with gear changes and shift points. However when reading through the manual its not a required change when potentially adding it to the PWC. Additionally I think with infinite heat capacity as it draws water continuously the water, the water temp would ultimately dictate engine temp.

The basic configuration of the Power Commander is interrupting the injectors, TPS and Crank position sensor from what I can recall. I was surprised it didn't require a reading from the O2 sensor.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ocsteveo2003 View Post

The basic configuration of the Power Commander is interrupting the injectors, TPS and Crank position sensor from what I can recall. …
    The concern would be that the Power Commander is not tested nor configured to manage a marine engine which regularly sees long periods of sustained high throttle power.

Is relative cost the primary reason you are asking about this?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The concern would be that the Power Commander is not tested nor configured to manage a marine engine which regularly sees long periods of sustained high throttle power.

Is relative cost the primary reason you are asking about this?
    It really has nothing to do with cost, I just like finding alternatives. I love RIVA stuff but they aren't the end all be all of performance parts. I also considered looking at swapping the head for dry exhaust and an easier turbo setup over the Kommander setup.

I have a TR-1 being put together with Carillo Rods and Pistons, this winter I will do a VX110 (MR-1) swap into a GP1300R... I just have access to parts and time..

Thread Information