Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Need Feedback on Failed Hose Clamps

We all know about the continuing nonsense at the BRP factory and hose clamps.

I have a new 21 RXP and I checked all the clamps that I could get my hands on before I ever put it in the water.
    Two were so loose that the clamp turned by hand and another one was installed over the fitting bulge. All of the screw clamps tightened another turn or so.

I did not pay much attention to the Oetiker (crimp on) clamps. I expected those to not be a problem. Greg Gaddis just had a hose blow off the oil cooler on his 21 PX. It was the one under the intake manifold that was installed with an Oetiker.

I would like to know if others here on the forum have had Oetiker clamps failing. I always assumed it was the screw clamps that failed. I guess some of the workers are short stroking the pliers. It is crazy to have to pull manifolds off to check or replace crimp on clamps.

+1
    I have never had an Oetiker clamp fail on anything. I replaced all my OEM clamps with AWAB SS and have not had any loose clamp issues since. I tried the T-clamps also, but prefer the AWABs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    We all know about the continuing nonsense at the BRP factory and hose clamps.

I have a new 21 RXP and I checked all the clamps that I could get my hands on before I ever put it in the water.
    Two were so loose that the clamp turned by hand and another one was installed over the fitting bulge. All of the screw clamps tightened another turn or so.

I did not pay much attention to the Oetiker (crimp on) clamps. I expected those to not be a problem. Greg Gaddis just had a hose blow off the oil cooler on his 21 PX. It was the one under the intake manifold that was installed with an Oetiker.

I would like to know if others here on the forum have had Oetiker clamps failing. I always assumed it was the screw clamps that failed. I guess some of the workers are short stroking the pliers. It is crazy to have to pull manifolds off to check or replace crimp on clamps.
    I've had a few Oetiker clamps that would spin by hand. They weren't crimped properly or tight enough. They were sized correctly but some lazy ass didn't crimp them tight enough..
    Last edited by tiderider; 07-31-2021 at 06:58 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tiderider View Post
    I've had a few Oetiker clamps that would spin by hand. They weren't crimped properly or tight enough. They were sized correctly but some lazy ass didn't crimp them hard enough..
    I have seen the same type of issue with plumbers and PEX. If you don't move the tool through the complete stroke, it will fail. I'm thinking there is some QC or training issues with some folks and Oetiker pliers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I have never had an Oetiker clamp fail on anything. I replaced all my OEM clamps with AWAB SS and have not had any loose clamp issues since. I tried the T-clamps also, but prefer the AWABs.
    Did you replace the Oetikers as well or just the screw types?

+1
    I have replaced several oetiker clamps over the years like oil cooler, fuel lines, PTO bearing seal, etc, but I did put my oetiker pliers on every clamp I could find. Unfortunately, OEM quality control is poor / half-assed at best. We have all learned the hard way that double / triple check all bolts, nuts, fittings, clamps, and alignments are a must. Doing your own work is rewarding and the only way to get it done to your own specs.

+1
    I was able to look with a mirror and get my hands on both of the Oetikers on the oil cooler line. The hose was only slightly deformed by the clamp pressure, but I was not able to turn the clamp or the hose. The clamp was on the correct side of the bulge, so I'm feeling pretty good about them staying on.

8. +1 by:

+1
    I was able to look with a mirror and get my hands on both of the Oetikers on the oil cooler line. The hose was only slightly deformed by the clamp pressure, but I was not able to turn the clamp or the hose. The clamp was on the correct side of the bulge, so I'm feeling pretty good about them staying on.
    Oetiker are the best if sized and crimped correctly. They never fail..

+1
    Where's the best place to buy AWAB (embossed band worm gear) clamps. I felt a few of my OEM clamps skip like they were trying to strip. I'm going to replace them with AWAB as long as the band can be opened to install without pulling the hose of the fitting.

+1
    Where's the best place to buy AWAB (embossed band worm gear) clamps. I felt a few of my OEM clamps skip like they were trying to strip. I'm going to replace them with AWAB as long as the band can be opened to install without pulling the hose of the fitting.
    If you Google "euro style hose clamps" you'll find them by various brands. Basically they don't have cut outs in the band just indentations.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information