+1

2019 GP1800R troubleshoot

After a moving across country, I have been unable to ride my gp1800 and it has been in storage. Ski was winterized, battery removed and has been sitting a year and a half to two years. I believe I had locked the ski with the key fob prior to storage.

Fast forward to today, and I now have a bit of time to take it out again. Just bought a new ext16L battery and hooked everything up but the ski will not respond to either key fob. No lights are coming on the dash at all. Key fob batteries were replaced.

I have an aftermarket power bilge pump and AFR gauge. The bilge pump can operate when the battery is hooked up.

All fuses were checked for 3,10,30 and 50 amp fuses were checked for continuity and all looked good.

I hooked up the maptuner and when I read the fault codes or look at diagnostics, the electronics turn on and I have power to the dash.

Any ideas what might be causing this issue or where to look next? Think the issue might lie in the key fobs?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Lanyard in place?

Does the dash react to pressing or holding (for up to ten seconds) either button on either remote?

How were the remote fobs stored? They are not 100% moisture proof, so it is possible both fobs have developed a problem.

Are you sure the new batteries are indeed good? (full voltage of 3.3 volts IIRC) and are installed with the correct polarity?

BTW, I recently had a weird response when attempting to unlock one of our GP1800 after locking it (forget why I wanted it locked). Weird dash light flash but no unlock beeps. Eventually I realized one of the battery cable screws has worked loose. Tightened the battery cable connections to the battery and the remote then worked as expected.

So, check that the new battery really is providing full expected voltage (12.8 or better for a fully charged AGM battery) and that the cable connections are clean and tight.

Anytime you have a no power situation always start at the battery, i cant count how many times it has been bad connections to even new batteries being bad off the shelf. Check the manufacture date on the battery if its more than 6 months old its probably bad.

+1
    New battery is good. Manufactured 6/21 and I also swapped my motorcycle battery into the ski with the same results.

Key fobs stored inside and both did not react to long holds on either button.

I may try to pull the 50 amp main battery fuse and replace with the spare? That seems like the next logical disconnect even tho it had continuity. The bilge pump gets power and the dash does when the maptuner is plugged in which I think would bypass that fuse?

I would get a multi meter and follow the power from the battery and see where it stops i dont have a wiring diagram so beyond this i wont be much help

+1
    You could remove, check and then reseat each fuse.

There are several small relays on the same panel but they are very tight and difficult to remove without damaging the relay.

The main 50 amp fuse can be swapped with the spare, I suppose. Disconnect the battery while doing so.

Another step would be to disconnect, inspect and then re-seat each of the connectors. Look for signs of moisture, corrosion or perhaps a broken pin.

Fuse panel connectors, ECU (mostly to make sure they really are seated), then work your way down the wire harness to the radio module. On my 2017 GP1800 that module is to the right of the fuel tank, forward inside the hull. Access panel inside the front storage can be removed to reach in there.

Across the top of that front storage access panel are a bunch more connectors. Unplug, inspect, reseat.

Hopefully somewhere along that journey you get it working.

+1
    Well to help others out, recheck the battery connections was the answer. I never reconnected the negative factory battery cable through multiple times taking it on and off, only the two additional ones I had from the bilge and afr gauge. It was out of sight under the bilge pump.

Thanks you two for all the recommendations. Did run through quite a bit of the ski before the face palm moment . Hope this helps someone else as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xkon View Post
    Well to help others out ...

Ö Hope this helps someone else as well.
    That is what makes the GH web site work.

Thank you for following up. It helps us to help the next guy, and perhaps some others will also benefit from the info in the thread.

Thread Information