Hard Starting and Bog Off the Bottom

I have a pair of identical 1999 GP1200s, and I'm having starting issues with one of them. They've both had their carbs rebuilt with Mikuni kits, and they're both set up exactly the same. But one of them is hard to start, and it wants to bog off the bottom right after starting or if it's idled for an extended period. I usually have to manually prime it if it's set for a day or more, and I have to either feather the throttle for awhile or a quick on/off of the choke to get it past the bog once it's running. Once it's over the hump it runs great and will pull off bottom fine until the next time it's been shut off or idled.

I've had the carbs apart a few times and can find nothing wrong. The only difference I see between the to skis is that the good one maintains pressure in the fuel tank, and the hard starter does not. I've checked all the hose connections to the tank, cap seal and operation of the vent check valve. All ok. I've also sprayed soapy water on the connection plug on top of the tank and can find no leaks. The carbs have been off and on several times, so I'm confident my hose connections to the carbs are good.

Is there something else I should check? The pressure has to be going somewhere. I guess the second question (and maybe the more important one) is, could this be the real issue, or should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

Shot in the dark as I have not wrenched on Waverunners very much, but Have you checked the fuel filter and water separator?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_P- View Post
    Shot in the dark as I have not wrenched on Waverunners very much, but Have you checked the fuel filter and water separator?
    Thanks for the reply. Those should be ok. The hose connections to the fuel filter are tight, and the water separator is downstream of the check valve.

Thread Information