Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    +1

bad sound coming from ultra 150

2000 ultra 150, iíll figure out how to attach video of the sound but basically while itís cranking with the plugs in itís acting like itís skipping and making a clunky/grinding sound, but spins fine with no plugs. backstory on the ski: itís a friend of mines ski that iím helping fix, he flipped it a while back and got full of water, he cleared it out immediately and it runs, but when itís cranking itís making that noise so we donít want to run it or crank it anymore than is necessary. anything simple that might cause this?

Are you sure noise is coming from the motor and not the pump? Since you said it spins fine without the plugs installed I assume the noise is coming from the motor. Does it run or is the noise your describing just while turning it over?

+1
    noise is coming from the motor, he said it still runs but i didnt want to crank it for super long to get it started, the noise is during turning over but later lll put a little premix down the carb so it lights off quick and make sure its not doing it while running too <let me know if that attached the video

+1
    Definitately don't start it again until you figure out the noise. If its an internal engine part, you may still be able to rebuild it. If you start it and something lets go, it can ruin the crankcase. I would do process of elimination and remove the pump, pull the driveshaft backward to disengage it, support it with a little block of wood resting on the pump mounting studs, then turn over the engine by hand to see if you can feel anything binding. Make sure to spin the motor only the direction it goes when running, the starter clutch will hang up if you spin it backwards.

+1
    Pull the heads and have a look at the pistons, try to turn the motor by hand and look at the cylinder walls

+1
    The video is kind of short to figure out anything. To me it sounds like a problem with the battery or starter causing it to crank slowly. I'd pull all the plugs out and crank it some more to make sure all the water was out. How long did he run it after flipping it?

I'd get an inspection camera and look into the spark plug holes before you put them back in.

+1
    i uploaded 2 better videos (i think) of the sound, to me it almost sounds like a gear is not meshing inside, ill pull the starter out tomorrow and feel the gears and see how they are. if theres nothing obviously wrong in there then ill move foward in pulling the heads ect, the sound is definitely starter related, as its all coming from the front. i dont know how long it got ran for but i dont think its been on the water since it got flipped. the story goes is that him and a girl were riding and flipped it and flipped it back the wrong way and got water in it, so they brought it to a local mechanic who pumped the water out and had it running but said it was making a terrible noise and he didnt have time to look into it so he brought it to me, my first thoughts are something starter related or with the clutch, that a bearing is no longer bearing, or that its something simple i missed like you cant use a 00-05 starter on a 99 motor causing me problems. thoughts?

+1
    aight so i pulled the starter, the gears in there felt fine but when i pulled the plugs i could spin the engine both ways by hand, if i remember correctly that means the starter clutch/bendix on this one is no good correct?

With the starter removed you can turn the motor in both directions. With the starter installed it will only spin in one direction.

That does sound horrible. Any chance the counter shaft bearings in the front are seized? If they were submerged for some time that could be the issue.

+1
    Boy, I don't know. I'd be looking inside the cylinders for damage, then I'd probably pull the engine and front cover.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information