Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bad short day at the beach need some help...

So while I was waiting for my son to go for a ride on my 2 hours old '21 FXSVHO, I sucked in debris and it immediately shut down. Had to be towed back to the ramp. When I got home I used an inspection camera and saw something in the rear end. It turned out to be a large half shell. Was able to get it out back through the grate. Inspected again and thought it was good.
    Tried to start it and it cranked for a little then shut down again. Back to the camera and I see a decent size rock wedged firmly in the 6:00 o'clock position. I cant get it to move at all. I think the only way to get it out is to remove the pump.
    Now.. do I try it myself? The dealer says it may take them a few weeks to get to it. In NY that is a lot of time in a short riding season.
    I feel confidant in attempting it myself, I watched the Riva guy change the prop, and feel I can at try. My questions....
    What sealant should I use, he used permeated black but I have seen others say something about a slow cure sealant. I do have a torque wrench and I am hoping since the machine is so new that breaking the seal wont be so hard.

Looking for some help and any links to watch to assist would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Rich

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I think the 2021 FX jet pump is the newer one piece design. Which means that with the jet pump removed the impeller is surrounded by the one piece Ďwear ringí shell of the jet pump.

And that would mean the rock would still be down inside the jet pump core, between the impeller blade and the stator vanes behind. To remove the impeller requires a special tool to hold the driveshaft and a big wrench on the impeller.

What might be possible with the jet pump out is to rotate the impeller back and forth to work the rock loose and extract it.

Somewhere in here I have posted info and photos for removing the 2017 GP1800 SVHO jet pump. I think your 2021 jet pump removal will be similar, just without the two piece design with separate wear ring.

The service manual is available online directly from Yamaha, short term rental.
    Or you can order the paper service manual from the GH store here.

I recommend having the service manual on hand. Makes it much easier to understand how the parts are assembled and what needs to be done.

+1

What might be possible with the jet pump out is to rotate the impeller back and forth to work the rock loose and extract it.

Thats what I would hope for. I think if I can get the impeller to move back and forth I can free it up. I have a paper service manual for a 2015-2017 FX SVHO. And I watched the Riva and Watercraft journal removal. I know its not the exact same if the pump is different but I am trying to convince myself that I can take apart to a point I would feel comfortable with my ability to put it back together.
    What sealant would be good? The watercraft journal says to use permatex right stuff. I have also read about a slow cure sealant. What would you recommend?

Thanks again.

+1
    Permtex Right Stuff will do the job of sealing between jet pump sections, just donít use a lot. It is VERY sticky (at least the black version I have) and creates a rather strong bond.

Also you donít want to create goop squeeze-out into the water flow inside the jet pump, where it can interfere with the smooth high velocity water flow.

I actually use Right Stuff Black as the adhesive to bond my bilge pump inside the hull. Holds really well.

I use 3M 4200 Fast Cure on my own jet pump. The slow cure 4200 takes many days to cure.

+1
    It will be very difficult to hold or rotate the shaft-impeller without the shaft holding tool. Good Luck. And hopefully you learned not to get so close to shore with the ski running, those pumps can suck up just about anything

Yeah I got distracted by a guy next to me who asked me a question about the ski. Low tide was coming in faster than I noticed. Definitely lesson learned. I ordered the manual and shaft tool. I am hoping to remove the pump today while I wait for the tool and manual. Any tips for freeing the pump after the bolts are out?

Quote Originally Posted by BLASTER 1 View Post
    It will be very difficult to hold or rotate the shaft-impeller without the shaft holding tool. Good Luck. And hopefully you learned not to get so close to shore with the ski running, those pumps can suck up just about anything

+1
    Well apparently there are no pry tabs on the new pump, but there has to be a place to use a pry-bar and the right sized piece of wood and gently pry. When you hear the sealant crackling your almost there.
    I would take a few pictures before you take it apart in case you get lost on reassembly. But itís actually quite easy in
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	476493  

So this is what came out. A rock and a shell. It was really easier than I thought. I cleaned off all the mating surfaces really well and it being so new probably helped.
    I was able to pop the pump off by using a tie down strap wrapped around my tree. I got it snug and put my Ram 1500 in drive and eased off the brake and popped right off no damage at all.
    Now I am still getting a check engine light but it started right up. I will try and disconnect the battery for 20 min. and see if it resets the computer.

Does that sound right?

How long does the permatex black take to cure before I can attach to hose? I wasn't able to use Salt away yesterday and I want to flush it out.

Thanks for the help.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9842.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	476512  
    Last edited by lungs414; 07-25-2021 at 03:38 PM. Reason: edit

10. +1 by:

+1
    It could take up to 3 complete start stop cycles to clear codes. Since your not putting ski in the water you should be good to go running on the hose
    Did you check your impeller for any edge damage

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information