Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    One other side benefit to this, there was a lot of factory sealant inside on the mating surfaces that I cleaned off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lungs414 View Post
    So this is what came out. A rock and a shell. It was really easier than I thought. I cleaned off all the mating surfaces really well and it being so new probably helped.
    I was able to pop the pump off by using a tie down strap wrapped around my tree. I got it snug and put my Ram 1500 in drive and eased off the brake and popped right off no damage at all.
    Now I am still getting a check engine light but it started right up. I will try and disconnect the battery for 20 min. and see if it resets the computer.

Does that sound right?

How long does the permatex black take to cure before I can attach to hose? I wasn't able to use Salt away yesterday and I want to flush it out.

Thanks for the help.

LOL, did that spark plug wrench come out of there too?

Just Kidding

3. +1 by:

Hahahaha. I knew I put it somewhere.

+1
    lungs, I'm glad you were able to find and remove the shell and the rock. Yesterday when I first read this thread, I was going to post about not beaching skis but then I thought about some flames coming my way. I don't mean to offend anyone because everyone has a right to do what they want to do with their ski. For me, I'm too anal about my stuff to beach my skis or my boat.

I'm a freshwater boater now but I was a saltwater boater for over 10 years when I lived in Fernandina Beach, FL (Amelia Island.) I know all about tides coming in and going out. It can be a chore keeping up with tides, especially when the tide is going out. It can be a very bad thing if you're not paying attention to your beached ski as it will be high and dry in no time. At least when it's anchored in 3 feet of water you have more time to deal with it and get it further out when the tide is receding.

Our Yamaha skis are painted and that bottom is pretty but it's not durable at all. A little bit of beaching can have these skis worn down to the fibers. The ever danger of sucking up sand, rocks and shells is always there when beaching a ski. Even though you may be careful to not rev the engine until you're in deeper water, what about your wife, kids or friend who you let ride your ski?

When I lived in Fernandina Beach, I bought the two 1996 Sea Doo XPs in my signature. The previous owner had beached the skis and it was very apparent by the condition of the skis' bottoms. Even worse, one of them had sucked up so much sand that the water drain hose was completely clogged with beach sand. I'll never forget trying to get the packed sand out of that hose.

I always anchor my skis in about 3' of water. I have a couple of mushroom anchors that are a pain to carry on the ski but they sure do a nice job of securely anchoring skis. More recently, I've modified plastic beach umbrella "sand spikes" that auger into the sand. These are much easier to carry in the ski's storage compartment than a mushroom anchor. However, they're much more of a chore trying to auger into the sand when I'm in 3 feet of water. My arms just aren't long enough ! I have seen an aftermarket, extendable version that would be much easier to auger into the bottom. Maybe one day I'll buy a couple of them but for now, I'm making my homemade sand spikes work.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post

I always anchor my skis in about 3' of water. I have a couple of mushroom anchors that are a pain to carry on the ski but they sure do a nice job of securely anchoring skis.

More recently, I've modified plastic beach umbrella "sand spikes" that auger into the sand. These are much easier to carry in the ski's storage compartment than a mushroom anchor. However, they're much more of a chore trying to auger into the sand when I'm in 3 feet of water. My arms just aren't long enough !

I have seen an aftermarket, extendable version that would be much easier to auger into the bottom. Maybe one day I'll buy a couple of them but for now, I'm making my homemade sand spikes work.
    We also have the spiral umbrella base, and they work well enough once you get them screwed into the bottom.

We also have collapsible grapple anchors, which mostly live in the trailer box.

Our primary anchors now are the Cooper Anchors. Nylon, lightweight (1 kg or 2.2 lbs), won’t cause damage, and stores well in the nose of the PWC. Holding power is quite good, especially combined with a long Anchor Buddy elastic rode.

7. +1 by:

+1
    I've seen the Cooper anchors and have considered trying them. Anything that is lightweight like the Coopers or the beach umbrella spiral sand spikes stores easily in the front compartments of our skis ready for use whenever we're in a beach area.

I have two of the collapsible grappling hook anchors. They live in my dock box. They were worthless in the sand when I lived in Fernandina Beach, FL. They would probably work good on a rocky bottom. On my lake, there are two areas that I go and anchor my ski(s). One is a sandy bottom area and the other is pretty hard packed mud.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    I've seen the Cooper anchors and have considered trying them...
    I will mention that a few feet of stainless chain rode between the Cooper Anchor and the Anchor Buddy (or regular anchor rope) does improve the initial anchor dig in and probably the holding power, especially with a relatively short rode.

I have been going to this same spot for 3 years. This time I was taking my 14 year old son out to start teaching him how to use the ski. He just turned 14 the other day and since he took the Safety course is now legal to operate independently. I won’t let him go solo until he passes my safety course. He wears prescription goggles which I recently paid $600 for. Of coarse he left them on the beach and I had to turn around and go back for them. That was part of my distraction, and so was speaking to another jet skier about how forgetful his 14 year old is. That’s when it happened it was idling and I lost my focus. In the end totally my fault.
    I also never beach my skis. And they are usually pretty far out away from the rocky/Shelley shore.
    I am thrilled I was able to fix it myself. A painful lesson learned by me and my son. I made him help me fix it and was sure to mention how much time he lost playing fortnite.
    Last edited by lungs414; 07-26-2021 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Fix

+1
    lungs, you had a lot going on and no one can fault you for having been distracted during all of that! I think its great that you don't beach your skis and I also think its great that you were able to fix the ski yourself! Your son probably won't soon forget the time and effort that it took to repair the ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lungs414 View Post
    prescription goggles … $600…
    Sea-Specs has a prescription lens option.

We buy them (polarized, non-prescription) in sets of three (a discount Sea-Specs offer they have been doing for many years).

I have prescription polarized lens in my own Sea-Specs, but had the prescription fitted by a local optometry shop since returns to Sea-Specs would be a hassle from my region.

Next time I might let Sea-Specs do the prescription lens as part of the package.

Our Sea-Specs we have have held up well over the years. Couple of different styles and colors, multiple pairs. We carry several spares on board, not only to loan to others who we may offer a ride to. Anything that we take on the water has the potential to be lost overboard, be stepped on, or otherwise no longer usable. So spares are a good thing.

Tip: Put a spare/old pair of prescription glasses in the secure rear storage bin on the Yamaha. If your son is out alone and loses the primary riding glasses, the spare set will allow him to ride home.

I added non-absorbent padding (Hydro-turn material in my case) to the entire bottom of the factory rear bin. Reduces the amount of impact the contents endure while riding in rough water.

Also stowed in there;
    spare lanyard with wrist strap and PFD clip
    PWC ownership and insurance papers, laminated
    Portable VHF marine radio
    Hose clamp for towing. Mostly for towing other skis, as we have a tow-valve installed in both of our own GP1800
    Wallet and car keys, when we launch for a day trip from a marina using our trailer
    Some other small stuff, no doubt

More ideas here
    https://www.northernontario.travel/b...ercraft-pwc?s=

More PWC articles and info
    https://www.northernontario.travel/author/marion-knaus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information