+1

first impression 2019 ultra lx

I just got back from my first ride on my 2019 ultra lx. I have had a few different skis over the years and my favorite at this point has been my yami xlt1200. 90% of ultra is impressive, and the other 10% is easily fixable. I picked up the ski earlier today and rode it this afternoon in mixed chop 1-2'. After I was done my wife rode it and and CAME BACK WITH A HUGE GRIN ON HER FACE. Here is what we found. Overall we can ride the ski about 5-10 mph faster than our 2003-2004 seafoods gtx. The hull shape is just simply works better in rough water, while transferring less energy into the rider.. Power wise its no slouch, and gets the job done well. The only thing that is sub standard is the seat. it looks great, but in reality...... it is the worst seat I have ever ridden on a PWC, for two different reasons. 1. HEAT, you can fill jt right through the foam and it gets hot enough where you need to stand and let everything cool down. 2. Its way to soft and doesn't do anything to cushion any of the impactts. I may simply try a removable gell seat pad for now until I can make a new seat or find somebody that makes a higher density seat foam. I am pretty impressed at this point.

+1
    Glad you like it!

You're right about the seat, I'd forgotten about that. Mine will get uncomfortable after an hour or so, but not unbearable. I've thought about putting an aluminum plate on the bottom of the seat to act as a heat shield, but haven't actually done it yet.

I think the Ultra LX is the most underrated 'Ski on the market. I think Kawasaki could sell a lot more of them if they actually advertised them, but they treat it like an afterthought.

+1
    Nice one. They really do eat the chop don't they?

I took mine out to an offshore island the other day, with the girl on the back. Swell was mostly 3-4 feet, sometimes a bit more. Into the wind I had to reduce speed to 30-50 mph depending on what was in front of me, but with the wind on the way back we bashed along over 55 most of the way, but I did have to stop a few times for the girl to recover hahaha. We spent a notable portion of the trip airborne....

The main problem I have with the seat on mine is just how damn wide it is. Living in the tropics means the seat gets hotter sitting in the sun than it does when riding, but regardless of that something about it rips at the skin near the tailbone and that sure isn't fun.

+1
    Yes, my tail bone gets sore when we go on long rides. When we take them to the Gulf Coast we ride about 70-80 miles per day.

The black seats get very hot when they are moored, but I bought silver seats for mine.

+1
    That is one good thing about non-supercharged skis; I am not sure I can even get that range. I have not carried fuel yet to do a where-does-it-run-out test, so I am playing it safe and loosing range as a result.

+1
    I will post up my seat mods next year when I begin he mod. I have been looking at the impact absorbing foam that is used in race seat and wheelchair applications. I plan on raising the seat 1-1.5" and possibly moving the bolster back 1-2".

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrofizix View Post
    That is one good thing about non-supercharged skis; I am not sure I can even get that range. I have not carried fuel yet to do a where-does-it-run-out test, so I am playing it safe and loosing range as a result.
    Our range is realistically about 60 miles. There is a marina at the halfway point that we stop at. Late in the afternoon, it's not unusual to have 3 foot waves, so we go slow. I'd go a lot faster if I didn't have my wife on the back. We usually go with some relatively inexperienced riders that really can't handle the chop while going very fast.

+1
    Ok 60 miles is probably not much more than my 310 range, our last trip was around 40 and we were not yet into the danger zone. Mine uses more fuel under 40mph, so I have to try to keep the speed up for economy's sake.

I too would go faster without the girl on the back, but she thinks we are going fast already hahaha.

Thread Information