Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engine Seized???

I've moving on from a previous post thinking now its time to determine if my engine is seized. i have a 2016 GTX 300 Limited that was running fine however, while trying to reach top speed, engine hesitated and then died. Engine never reached top speed based on previous runs, in fact top speed was about 15mph less than see in the past.

After shutdown engine appears locked. Tried charging battery and still locked. Ultimately I was advised to replace the starter in hopes that was it and nope, engine clanks but wont turn over.

I currently have the pump out and spark plugs out. My question is, how can I access the engine in a place I can turn it over to determine if the engine is seized.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

G

+1
    The most important tool you need to be using is a Shop Manual.

It clearly details how to turn over the engine by turning the SC- Super Charger.

I would be also looking at timing chain and or worse fly wheel bolt failure.

Yes, thank you for pointed that out to me. I have the manual but had not seen the where it described how to turn however, I went back after your post and found how to turn engine over at the Supercharger after removing hose. I also have the Candoo but it not showing any faults.

Got the hose of the supercharger and put socket on nut inside charger. Also removed the valve cover as I would anticipate the timing chain would move....turned the ratchet counter clockwise and the supercharger turns with a little resistance as I would anticipate however, timing change and rockers do not budge.

Looks like supercharger is just slipping.

Next?

Pull oil filter look for metal shavings.

Ok, opened the reservoir and removed the filter. Should the reservoir be filled with oil? Filter is oily however reservoir has very little oil in it...filter looks like glitter in the folds when you use a flashlight to view.

+1
    I would remove the rear PTO cover as I suspect you had flywheel bolt failure. If so, it will be a huge mess and $$$$.

Nope, to much work. Ski will be sold as is. Thank you. Let anyone know if they are interested to contact me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sunpacceo View Post
    Ok, opened the reservoir and removed the filter. Should the reservoir be filled with oil? Filter is oily however reservoir has very little oil in it...filter looks like glitter in the folds when you use a flashlight to view.
    The oil filter housing will not be filled with oil anytime unless it's running. One of the easiest ways to manually turn the motor over would be to pull the plugs and the pump, use just an impeller on the end of the driveshaft and turn the motor it will or should spin relatively easy. If that doesn't work you have a broken chain or flywheel bolts broken more that likely. If you have oil on the bottom of the hull then you probably broke a rod. There it a special tool just for spinning the motor but you have to remove the pump and driveshaft to use it.

Where ski located? How many hours on engine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information