+1

Ever rolled an MSX?

So last weekend, I was out on my MSX 140, riding pretty dang aggressively on a calm and sparsely occupied lake. I'm not one to normally ride that hard, but I guess I was feeling my oats, so to speak, last Saturday, and I came damn close to rolling that big boat over. And I mean close. The MSX is a stable hull, it takes a lot to get 'er rolling.

I paid for that aggressive riding all week. Sore shoulders, sore legs, even sore feet. Much better now. At 61, I don't recover quite as quickly as I did in my yoot. But the fun factor makes it all worth it.

I got to thinking -- if I had rolled it -- would I have been able to right it? Big heavy boat.

Who's been there?

+1
    I never rolled my 140s. I had guests roll (capsize) the 150s. Getting them righted was the easy part and doable. Getting the oil out of the intercooler and the intake tract was anything but easy. It was one of several reasons why they went down the road without a scratch in them and less than 60 hours on them. They were the classic example of the two happiest days in a boat owner's life.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by radio-active View Post
    … MSX 140 … if I had rolled it -- would I have been able to right it?
    The hull is weight biased to float right side up. #

When it is inverted and floating in the water, once you get it rotated part way to one side or the other * it will continue to rotate and right itself.

The typical method is to grab the intake grate with your hand, then use your feet or knees to produce downward force against the side rub rail or the sponson *. Your body weight pushes that side down into the water, and leaning your body away from the hull will leverage the hull to rotate. About the time the hull begins to right itself you will fall backwards away from the hull.

When you re-surface, it will be floating upright, waiting for you to reboard.

* Before you do this, remind yourself which side of the hull is supposed to be pressed downwards to rotate the hull in the correct direction. From the factory there should be a sticker on the transom showing which side goes down and which side goes up as you right the hull.

The reason for the rotation direction preference is that the exhaust system may be full of water. When righting the hull you do not want to rotate all that water above the engine, as the water could flow into the engine, causing problems. Instead you want the exhaust to rotate under the engine as the hull rotates.

# Presuming the hull is not (yet) flooded with water. Once the hull is (partially) flooded it can become a handful to get it righted and will be less stable when you attempt to re-board.

Note: The hull ventilation tubes which are factory configured with the open ends very low inside the hull, will have those same ends projecting above the waterline when the hull is inverted. If someone has removed those internal ventilation tubes or re-routed them to be higher inside the hull, when inverted outside water will flow into the hull fairly quickly.

4. +1 by:

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Never came close with mine and I always rode it as aggressively as I could.

Curious as to what you were doing to come that close?

I've seen multiple girl riders with one trying to board it, roll a ski as the last one held onto the handlebars as she fell in on one side. (pulling the ski with her)

I've capsized one while wave jumping 6's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	476432  

+1
    I've seen an overloaded MSX (think two big adults) tip over far enough... while idling around (the tippiest time) that the passengers fell off, but the ski righted itself. And I've had a big friend riding and crank-n-bank'ing so hard that he got bucked off the ski, but ski stayed upright.

So yeah, I agree... the MSX doesn't roll easy.

Cheers!

+1
    I've experienced the tippy-ness at idle speeds too, this was not that.

So when you ask what exactly what I was doing, I'd have to say "I'm not 100% sure".

It was one of those scenarios -- that if I were on a motorcycle I'd probably have been dead. Tree or ditch or other obstacle.

I was in discussions here at work with a former PWC test driver. He has well over a thousand hours of experience with the MSX boats. He convinced me that I could put the boat into a sharp turn -- full steering lock -- at full speed and the boat would probably buck me off but it would stay upright. (Is that Crank-n-Bank'ing?) So I was playing with that, started out at lower speeds and going into lock turns. No problems other than stressing out my bad right shoulder a bit. The challenge was higher speeds and enough strength to stay on. And that was my mistake I think.

It gets a bit fuzzy from there -- but suffice to say on one of my WOT runs, I may have bent the laws of temporal physics a bit, and as I entered the event horizon I hit my own wake. The last thing I remember vividly was trying to use my super powers to try to hang onto the bars as the rest of me went into zero-g mode. Clearly that was a mistake - I should have let go.

That's when the boat started to roll. I swear it was well past 90 degrees in my mind, but the actual roll angle *might* have been something less than that. I do recall seeing water in front of my face where I did not expect it.

Somehow I managed to find a pocket of positive gravity again and shift my weight back onto the port nacelle..... had the presence of mind to let go of the throttle and drop back to impulse... narrowly avoiding a core breach. The boat came to an abrupt stop as it rocked back upright. I sat there stunned for a moment until I captured the sheer joy and relief of the moment and let out a solid WHOOOOP! which the wife heard from half way across the lake... Talk about an adrenaline rush.

I spent part of that night icing down my shoulder....

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2921748

Linked here, just because
    … This video shows M447 experimenting with a new-to-her Kawasaki 300X (starts at 2:10). She moves her weight around to see how the machine responds, steering straight and while turning. Also note the nice recovery at 4:45 when a slow turn with offset weight starts to roll over. The horizon in background gives you a reference for the hull angles.

+1
    M447 recovered much more gracefully than I did!

Then again, totally different scenario.

But now I may have found a use for my go-pro knockoff.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by radio-active View Post
    I've experienced the tippy-ness at idle speeds too, this was not that.

So when you ask what exactly what I was doing, I'd have to say "I'm not 100% sure".

It was one of those scenarios -- that if I were on a motorcycle I'd probably have been dead. Tree or ditch or other obstacle.

I was in discussions here at work with a former PWC test driver. He has well over a thousand hours of experience with the MSX boats. He convinced me that I could put the boat into a sharp turn -- full steering lock -- at full speed and the boat would probably buck me off but it would stay upright. (Is that Crank-n-Bank'ing?) So I was playing with that, started out at lower speeds and going into lock turns. No problems other than stressing out my bad right shoulder a bit. The challenge was higher speeds and enough strength to stay on. And that was my mistake I think.

It gets a bit fuzzy from there -- but suffice to say on one of my WOT runs, I may have bent the laws of temporal physics a bit, and as I entered the event horizon I hit my own wake. The last thing I remember vividly was trying to use my super powers to try to hang onto the bars as the rest of me went into zero-g mode. Clearly that was a mistake - I should have let go.

That's when the boat started to roll. I swear it was well past 90 degrees in my mind, but the actual roll angle *might* have been something less than that. I do recall seeing water in front of my face where I did not expect it.

Somehow I managed to find a pocket of positive gravity again and shift my weight back onto the port nacelle..... had the presence of mind to let go of the throttle and drop back to impulse... narrowly avoiding a core breach. The boat came to an abrupt stop as it rocked back upright. I sat there stunned for a moment until I captured the sheer joy and relief of the moment and let out a solid WHOOOOP! which the wife heard from half way across the lake... Talk about an adrenaline rush.

I spent part of that night icing down my shoulder....
    Just let it go.....

I end up hurting myself trying to hang on.

Thread Information