Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GP1800R 2021 Final Review

So im just wondering if anyone else out there shares the Similar views as myself about the 2021.
    I have owned the 17 and 19. I still have the 17 which is now fitted with a Turbo (sick ski!)

I was pretty excited to pick it up last December (after ordering the day it was released to the public)
    I spent the next two months setting it up from all the results initially it definitely felt better than the last model in flat
    water
    it seemed to turn a lot more smooth.

I fitted for reference the Riva gen 2 intake, 12/18 twin prop, Retainers, Work ride plate and sponson and a super grip Jettrim seat cover.
    The twin prop and Gen 2 was able to get the GP21 to take off with the most minimal of cavitation. I cant say the transom helped as it was fitted with the old one along with the old clutch (Yamaha didnt care when I asked for the ones it was advertised to come with to be fitted)

So as I said it felt better in flat water.. now on a closed circuit track following someone it was a very draining to ride much worse than the previous models! I believe the decision to move the fuel tank rearwards improved the center of gravity which increased the feel of the ski in flat water, though in rough water this has made the nose of the ski "lighter" which allows it to bounce a hell of a lot more than the previous models.

After the last round getting owned by the RXP's (was a very chopped up day) I took one one the 21 RXP's for a ride just to try and understand why I was so shit and within 1 lap around the track it was clear, the amount of rider input required between the two skis was massive!
    The 21 RXP with the new seat is hands down such an easier ski to ride and naturally wanted to carve around corners on the correct line.

Without exaggerating I put the GP up for sale the next day and have just purchased the 21RXP.. (fuck I hope it don't sink)

This is just my personal view, if your just going to have fun on the GP then I recommend it but if your going up against a RXP and don't crossfit 3 times a day 365.. your going to get sore and tired pretty quick..

Now im sure my view on the RXP will change but until it sinks Im going to say its the better 21 ski to buy.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Which Worx rode plate is installed?

Does it have the bottom channel ‘cut’?

Same "stock" worx ride plate I have used on all 3 GP1800's

thanks for the update!

+1
    If you picked up a brand new PX make sure to go over all the hose clamps. Biggest issue with new Doos these days is dumb hose clamps not installed correctly at factory popping off causing overheating.

We will checking all clamps with the upmost care and replacing the carbon seal regularly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke1.8 View Post
    We will checking all clamps with the upmost care and replacing the carbon seal regularly.
    Kudos to you for coming here and admitting that you switched brands for specific performance issues and not reliability ones. ALL machines fail and what matters more is that they satisfy your needs when they are running.

P.S. With regards to carbon ring issues, it has been my experience, after having about six of them replaced in 400 hours that the precursor to failure is the "wobbling" of the ring. If it gets severe it wears the retainer clip which allows the sealing ring to come free.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke1.8 View Post
    So im just wondering if anyone else out there shares the Similar views as myself about the 2021.
    I have owned the 17 and 19. I still have the 17 which is now fitted with a Turbo (sick ski!)

So as I said it felt better in flat water.. now on a closed circuit track following someone it was a very draining to ride much worse than the previous models! I believe the decision to move the fuel tank rearwards improved the center of gravity which increased the feel of the ski in flat water, though in rough water this has made the nose of the ski "lighter" which allows it to bounce a hell of a lot more than the previous models.

After the last round getting owned by the RXP's (was a very chopped up day) I took one one the 21 RXP's for a ride just to try and understand why I was so shit and within 1 lap around the track it was clear, the amount of rider input required between the two skis was massive!
    The 21 RXP with the new seat is hands down such an easier ski to ride and naturally wanted to carve around corners on the correct line.

Without exaggerating I put the GP up for sale the next day and have just purchased the 21RXP.. (fuck I hope it don't sink)

This is just my personal view, if your just going to have fun on the GP then I recommend it but if your going up against a RXP and don't crossfit 3 times a day 365.. your going to get sore and tired pretty quick..

Now im sure my view on the RXP will change but until it sinks Im going to say its the better 21 ski to buy.
    OK you are the first person I have ever heard say this, and I am talking about people that own both and ride both all the time --> Jerry Gadis is one, Kevin Shaw is another but I have found him super painful to talk to.
    I was really searching for people who have experience with both because I have never even seen a Yamaha where I ride unless it is 10 plus years old, it is seadoo country x 10. It is so hard to find anyone with an educated view that is not riddled with some stupid bias with crap like your comment that you hope it doesn't sink Seadoos are pretty well the only PWC's we have were I live yet I have never ever seen one sink.

I really wanted to know how they handled in the world of tight turns and tracking in chop. I know my 2015 260 RXPX is a blast to rip tight turns with but it does require your full attention in chop or you will likely get bucked off at high speed.

Care to explain your point more. I am a bigger guy at 6' 4 1/2" so I really consider that aspect too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Engine Guy View Post
    OK you are the first person I have ever heard say this, and I am talking about people that own both and ride both all the time --> Jerry Gadis is one, Kevin Shaw is another but I have found him super painful to talk to.
    I was really searching for people who have experience with both because I have never even seen a Yamaha where I ride unless it is 10 plus years old, it is seadoo country x 10. It is so hard to find anyone with an educated view that is not riddled with some stupid bias with crap like your comment that you hope it doesn't sink Seadoos are pretty well the only PWC's we have were I live yet I have never ever seen one sink.

I really wanted to know how they handled in the world of tight turns and tracking in chop. I know my 2015 260 RXPX is a blast to rip tight turns with but it does require your full attention in chop or you will likely get bucked off at high speed.

Care to explain your point more. I am a bigger guy at 6' 4 1/2" so I really consider that aspect too.
    I dont own both, but my buddy has both. 21 gp1800 and 21 rxpx 300. OP is spot on with handling and ride comfort. The seadoo is better. A couple things I dont like is the seat (the adjustable seat is kind of shitty to use) and no easy way to reboard. I dont use the boarding "step" on my 1800, but I do use the grab handle at the back of the seat. the rxp has neither.
    The 1800 will smoke it in a drag race with comparable mods.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Engine Guy View Post
    … never even seen a Yamaha where I ride … it is seadoo country ...
    Where are you located?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information