Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down 2014 Ultra 310LX Jetsound Upgrade Options

Good morning to all, started the Jetski ownership in January and truly realized what I was missing, renting is nothing like owning. I bought a 260Lx that I rebuilt and sold and bought a used 310 LX that will be ready in a month.

The big question now is the sound system, I read that Jetsound is good although I am looking to upgrade it with a unit and speakers that fits in the same place and I can hear at full throttle.

I expect speakers to be straight forward although the headunit could be tricky, I am considering the JBL PRV 275 with a rear camera.

Any experience and information is highly appreciated especially around the size of the exiting Jetsound guage unit and if a different one can fit in the same location.

+1
    You know I have never used the sound system on my 310LX, but if I was ever going to the one mod I would make would be to set it up so that it can be used with the ignition off. To me, to be able to pull up to an uninhabited island and put some beach songs on whilst relaxing and swimming would be more useful than listening to music as I navigate the chop and sandbars en route.

Battery Protection

Very true, upon further research, I think it shuts off after 3 mins or so! May be it is worth fitting a battery protection circuit and rewiring the power to the sound system, note that it needs to be MOSFET based to avoid the typical small sparks in relay based units.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210723-122630.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	476398  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    … fitting a battery protection circuit and rewiring the power to the sound system, note that it needs to be MOSFET based to avoid the typical small sparks in relay based units.
    Be aware that every electrical connection inside a PWC hull should not only be sealed against water/moisture (sealed electrical connectors) but also should be ignition proof.

That means that even if the electrical connection was to somehow vibrate loose or corrode and begin arcing, the arc would be isolated from the atmosphere inside the hull. Since there is no exhaust blower fan for the enclosed engine compartment, it is possible for fuel fumes to accumulate inside the hull. The ignition proof electrical connections reduce the risk of those fumes being ignited.

Oddly, despite every other OEM electrical connection inside a PWC being sealed and ignition proof (as part of the US Coast Guard blower exemption) the heavy battery cable connections are typically NOT sealed from moisture and are not ignition proof. This is a PWC industry-wide shortcoming that can result in the PWC explosions that make the news from time to time.

When modifying or adding electrical connections to your own PWC be sure to use sealed connectors. You do not want ANY metal exposed to the air inside the hull.

The linked photo shows a green connector which would not be suitable for use inside a PWC hull. I suppose you could cover it in some goop and hope it protects the metal from corrosion and seals the ignition hazard, but it is better to have properly sealed connectors.

Note that most ‘marine grade’ electrical stuff is meant for boats, which have the exhaust blower requirement for the engine compartment or are meant for use in well ventilated areas, not inside the engine bay.

That is a very serious and important consideration, Thank you.
    Will check if there is a suitable solution that covers this aspect as well, any ideas about a suitable unit or may be an enclosure to house it?

+1
    l.. bought a … 310 LX …

… sound system … unit and speakers that … I can hear at full throttle.

At wide open throttle the wind noise in your ears will be significant. The engine roar gets added to that.

And you want to hear your music at a volume louder than all that other noise?

Above about 50 mph the wind noise increases rapidly.

May be I am a bit optimistic )) let's say half throttle then
    If its loud enough to be useable at 50mp then it's a good result.

Also the modification to keep it running for a good amount of time after the engine is off.

Both would be great achievements.

+1
    … modification to keep it running for a good amount of time after the engine is off.
    A common change is to either add a second battery or to upgrade to a larger battery with substantially more amp-hours (not cranking amps, amp-hours).

Second battery approach works well and guarantees the engine will start even if you play tunes until the ‘house’ battery goes flat.

My preferred method is to leave the factory battery and wiring 100% stock. Add a second battery and connect the music gear only to the second battery (also called the ‘house’ battery). The negative of the house battery gets connected to engine ground.

The only link between the two batteries positive posts would be a battery combiner *. A battery combiner is a ‘voltage sensing’ relay that only connects the two batteries when the engine is running or a battery charger is connected. When the engine is not running the two batteries are isolated. The OEM engine start battery just sits there, waiting for you to Start button, just like normal.

The house battery powers your music, without any effect on the engine start battery.

There are a few technical requirements for dual battery. Both batteries should be of the same type, such as AGM or lead-acid.

And of course the second battery must be securely mounted, at least as well as the OEM battery.

* No big clunky battery switch. Just the combiner, with one thick wire to each battery.

+1
    Detox, you seriously need to consider wearing earplugs.

Take it from someone that has lost most of his hearing in one ear, deafness isn't fun. You may not only lose your hearing, you may come down with tinnitus, which can be far worse.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    … wearing earplugs…
    In our small riding group the majority now wear helmets. For recreational riding.

This summer we fitted Cardo PackTalk Bold DMC radio kits to each helmet. Not only can we now talk to each other while riding at speed, each rider can listen to their own tunes. The Cardo units have built in FM radio and can stream music from a Bluetooth smartphone.

The DMC mesh network works quite well. Maximum range (on the water) is less than the Cardo marketing might lead to believe, but still entirely usable and useful.

Cardo just began selling a headphone accessory, which means the full Cardo experience can now be had without wearing a helmet. I hand crafted something similar.

For a lone rider, being able to hear the tunes inside your helmet or headphone can reduce the scale of the music system needed to listen to tunes while at the beach.

You do not need to overwhelm the motor noise and wind roar to hear music when using a headset or headphones on the water.

Some riders wear bone conduction earphones, others use regular in-ear earbuds.

Reminder: Regardless of what you are listening to or how you listen, remain aware of your surroundings while on the water. Boats and other PWC can appear from any direction without warning.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information