Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

+1

2008 250 Ultra that has not been in water since 2014

Ok, I was going to get my friends cherry barn kept 2008 Kawasaki 1500 cc ski running and buy it if all worked out (thinking it was a 15f). But it turns out that it's a 250 Ultra. Last registration sticker was 2014. So lets assume that was the last time it was in the water. 250 Ultra means I'm out on purchase because I like the simiplicity of non-turbo. But I still want to help my friend get it running if possible or a realization that it needs to go to a proper mechanic. He wasn't trying to sell it to me I just knew he had a ski in the barn and I was interested. So ski wasn't broken he just ran out of time and interest.

So my question is beyond putting in fresh gas, filters, oil, plugs, and battery what should one consider before cranking it over. So lets assume it wasn't winterized properly and that sloshing I hear in the bottom of the ski isn't just water sitting in the hull (I hear the gas tank slosh but also hear sloshing coming more towards to bottom back of the engine). I'm guessing this is water in the exhaust. Not a good sign. But also very possible this barn was heated and nothing to worry about. Any reason to fear that by sitting for 7 years the turbo would disintegrate and send shrattnel into the engine upon starting up? FWIW I grew up in the 80's when turbo's were popular until they blew up and took the engine with them. So full disclosure I'm both leery and uninformed on turbo's today.

P.S. I've read a lot of your horror stories on this line up ski so thanks for that. I wish there was an easy way to take the turbo off and just use the 1500cc base engine because I don't have a need for speed. I'm guessing the issue with #4 cylinder leaking is from the added pressure from the turbo.
    Last edited by kyshogan; 07-18-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    If there's water still in the water box, good chance the inside of the head is rusted up ... If you read what a POS this ski is you know it needs several upgrades that need to be done... Main one being double pump bearing set up... I'd pull valve cover to make sure it isn't rusted up before you do anything... Good Luck

+1
    I have been working on marine motors for a couple of decades. If rust on the head is a issue pick up a boroscope and put it into the spark plug hole. There are a couple of cheaper ones that will look at 90 degree angles so you may be able to see some of the valve, depending upon what stroke it is on. A different approach may be to pull all the plugs and put a little marvel mystery oil in each hole and let it sit for 24 hours, then with the plugs out and a towel over the holes crank it over. After removing gas, refilling with fresh gas and a can of seafoam. Put the plugs in and fire it off. Let it run on the hose for a few minutes then remove all of the plugs and do a compression test. Report back with the results.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Thx as indicated I’m out of equation of purchase. Aware of pump concern same possible concern with 15f and others. I have 15f now.

The only way id be in is salvage value and possible removal of turbo as engine and pump are same as 15f. But it’s not going there. So no issue with turbo sitting? It’s either good or bad. I just didn’t want to crank it when we shouldn’t.

my goal here is to help him get running so he can sell it

Ok was going to do the mystery oil. Well let it sit for a while. As he’s gone for a while. So I’ll report back in a few weeks. Thank you all much.

+1
    The engines are not the same ... it's supercharged, they have been known to delaminate

+1
    Ok thanks I thought they just supercharged the same engine didn’t realize they changed the 1500cc engine but I guess they would need to make it “stronger” to handle pressure etc. appreciate the correction.

+1
    That and lower compression ...
    I would pull the valve cover before y'all do anything...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    That and lower compression ...
    I would pull the valve cover before y'all do anything...
    Much appreciate your suggestion. Reality is we won't likely go that far but I'll recommend that there are certain risks with trying to get it running and taking to a qualified mechanic might be a safer route. I can change plugs, gas, check compression etc and even rebuild my own 2 stroke (with the community help); but don't have time time or skills to start tearing apart a 4 stroke much less a super charged 4 stroke.

On flip side if we get it running and he sells it, he will give the buyer an honest history of machine and the buyer can take an informed risk.

I learned alot in this process 1st I want an ultra LX NA (naturally aspirated) I got a fever for it. 2nd I need to get my 15f in for pump overhaul before it's too late.

+1
    My guess is that you'll have trouble finding a 'qualified' mechanic that will even touch it.

The cost will be very high, parts unobtainable, and they won't want to guarantee it when it leaves.

If you work on it yourself, the first thing you need to do is completely flush the fuel system. Don't try to start it as you'll just plug up the injectors worse than they already are from old gas.

+1
    Removing the valve cover is very simple...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information