+1

Spark plug wire that connects to motor snapped off and threaded end is stuck in motor

Yesterday I was doing an inspection and I noticed one of my spark plug cables (the end that connects to the motor) has a broken connector. It looks like there is a plastic white fitting that screws into the motor- it appears to have snapped off. The end with threads are still attached to the motor, so I am not sure how to get it out- does anyone have any ideas?

And was also wondering if I put some duct tape over it, is the unit ok to ride like this? The cable still passes a spark but the connector is not water tight. I dont want to risk any damage so I am not sure if I can use it like this or not. Any sugestions?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210715_174121.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	476187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210715_174155.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	476188  

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    for this one and ONLY this one connector its most acceptable to use RTV sealer

its a good idea to not even look sideways at those connector as they are all ready to snap off.

the reason for not using it on the wiring side is that it makes the proepr repair 10x more difficult

water in those electric boxes becomes an expensive problem. apply the sealer before your next outing

+1
    Thanks for the info. I sealed the area and let it dry, then applied another layer of seal. I let it dry again and finally put it in the water and tested it.

I did a test drive with it and when stating it, the machine idled fine, and seemed fine when going any speed lower then about 7 MPH. Soon as I hit 7 MPH and continue to accelerate, the motor bogs down and wants to quit.
    I let it sit for a few days and tried it again.

The second day I tried it, it idled fine upon starting. Then after maybe 3 minutes it started idling rough, even though I was driving pretty slow. I had to give it gas and rev it higher in order for it to not stall out at this point. As I turned around to head back to the dock the motor did stall but I was able to re start it and keep revving it high enough to make it back to the dock.

Its possible that when I used the machine last (before making the original post), water could have gotten inside the box. I am not sure when that original damage occurred, I was only going to charge the battery when I noticed the broken cable.

A buddy said I have to open the box up to check for liquid. I opened the box up and could not see any liquid (though it could still be moist and not visible).

I have a video I took inside the box- can anyone see if anything looks suspicious, so to say?

Any ideas where to proceed from here? I am willing to take it to a shop if yall suggest it at this point.

Any help or troubleshooting ideas would be appreciated!

+1
    Letrics look ok

Sounds like a fuel problem tome

Carbs likely gummed up

Gumout won’t fixit

Carb rebuild in order after inspection

Quick maybe would be to pull the choke to increase gas flow if that works fuel flow is restricted

Remove any paper looking fuel filters

New plugs
    Take engine compression

+1
    Prolonged idling will foul the spark plugs. I'd change them first and avoid excessive idling, if possible.

+1
    New plugs and check for spark before installing. Sounds like a missing cylinder due to no spark or seriously clogged carb

+1
    Thanks for the info. After reading that it could be a fuel issue, I did recall an important detail I forgot to mention.

After the first test drive I did, and when I noticed the motor bogging down, my friend who told me to open the box to check for water was looking at my spark plugs and thought the plugs were too oily. He said he thought I may have mixed too much mix into the tank, and that may be why I had an issue going past 7 MPH. So he said he was going to dilute it "just a bit".

I dont know how much "just a bit" was, so I pulled some fuel from the tank. I poured it into a beaker, and I took some properly mixed fuel and put some in a beaker. I can now see he diluted it a LOT.

The one from my tank came from the right side.

So for the second day when I tested it on the water, that day I was running with the fuel that was under mixed. That may explain why it didnt even want to idol after a few minutes of use on that day.

That still doesnt explain why I couldnt go fast after I made the RTV repair, but from what people are saying that may be a carb issue.

So now I have 2 issues. Issue 1 is the original problem of not being able to rev the motor with high rpms, and the second issue is my buddy messed with my fuel mixture.

So after hearing that, does it sound like my motor is blown? I used it for about 10-15 minutes with the incorrect fuel mixture.

I did purchase new spark plugs but didnt install them yet.

EDIT- I just talked to my buddy and he said he "topped the tank off with fuel" which was prob about 2.5 gallons. So I have an idea of how much mix I have to add (presumably if the motor isnt blown by now). Does anyone think it may be blown though?

If yall think it has a chance to be saved, I will put the new spark plugs in and will add the offset amount to the gas mix. Just wanted yalls opinions first. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210722_182825.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	476390  

+1
    Check the engine compression next

You gotta be Merlin to decide how much gas to add to existing premix

If your lucky, the engine doesn’t have any damage

Look for 120+ out of each jug

+1
    I added the proper amount of mix into the fuel (my buddy found the receipt- had the gallons printed on it) and I did the compression test. With the motor cold, each of the 3 cylinders gave me a reading of about 117.

I put the new spark plugs in and put it in the water today and fired it up.

It ran GREAT and I used it for several hours today with not a single stall. Ran it at full power and didnt bog down at all.

Thank you everyone who replied to this! It appears the problem is solved though. Still not sure what caused the original problem of not being able to go fast, and although the spark plugs were changed last year they were in pretty bad condition so maybe that was the problem. Or maybe liquid got into the fuse box and since I had it open for a few days maybe it evaporated?

I learned a few things throughout this though. I never knew how to do the compression test before- although I heard of it before. Also I learned to not to trust my buddys insight over myself, when I was originally pretty sure I mixed it properly to begin with (he removed my spark plug and from looking at the plug he said it looks like I have it mixed too heavily) . I am glad I did not ruin the engine though!

So once again thanks everyone for all the help!

+1
    My money as always was on the spark plugs the original source of:

Looks can be deceptive

Have fun on your running ski!

Thread Information