+1

2007 STX-15 108 hours Pump Shot?

Suspected Pump failure...
    2005 STX-15 with 108 hours freshwater use.
    So I went for an extended ride on my 2005 STX-15 with my kid on my 2006 STX-12. We were about 2 hours out when I first noticed that the vibration was getting worse and louder so we headed for home. About 1 hour after turning back the STX-15 started to vibrate badly and lost some of it's power. I was still an hour from the ramp so I slowed down and limped home at a smooth and continuous speed. It used to do 92km/hr but by the time I got it back to the ramp it was doing 40 km/hr on reduced throttle. There was never an overheat and the check engine did not light. The tattle tail ran steady so I don't think I did any engine damage due to heat.

The STX-15 has always had a slightly different pump noise and vibration than the STX-12. I had been meaning to get into the pump to check for contamination but now it looks like I am into a complete rebuild. I can see the impeller has excessive clearance to the wear ring from the pump nozzle.

There are no foreign articles or damage otherwise.

I have done plastic wear rings on Seadoo but this looks a lot different.

Advice?
    Last edited by jhanratt; 07-14-2021 at 11:12 PM. Reason: year of machine was wrong

+1
    Yes! Thank You for the link!
    I took my pump apart today and ordered a new impeller, vane housing, and all new bearings, seals and o rings from my local dealer. OUCH!!! I live in Canada and the season is short and shipping from the US can be slow. I pulled the bearing and wear sleeve from my vane housing before I realized the dealer does not sell a wear ring separately. I have also ordered a pump rebuild kit and will check my STX-12 pump as a precaution.
    Last edited by jhanratt; 07-14-2021 at 11:25 PM.

+1

Pics

Catastrophic Failure accurately describes what happened!!!
    The bearing fell apart as I took the pump off. One of the ball bearings is ground down to 1/4 of its size while 2 others ar 1/2 and 1/3 their origninal size!
    I'm lucky it didn't lock up I guess??
    The impeller is badly worn and so is the wear ring.

Curiously this machine came with a box of parts which included a second impeller, drive shaft, intake, nozzle, vane housing, steering nozzle etc.

The vane housing I took off held only two seals with two different OD while the spare intake holds three with the same OD. The parts diagram shows that the vane housing for a 2005 stx-15 should hold three seals with the same OD. I can only assume that the original pump ate a rock and that they changed the pump to an older design with two seals.

I should have everything I need to get it back together when the dealer gets my parts in next week.

Thanks again for the link.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F742D827-19CE-4E5B-B3AC-E4E76A119308.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	476155  

+1
    Update:
    New bearings, seals, Vane guide and impeller all installed.
    The result is smooth and quiet but an 8-10km/hr loss in top speed???
    This machine used to do 92km/hr but now it tops out at 84km/hr.

When I put it together I packed the entire drive shaft area of the pump between the bearings and in the nose cone with grease so I feel like my next step is to remove the excess grease which may be slowing the pump shaft and adding additional drag. The manual said to pack the seal area but it didn't call for grease in the pump body, as stated above I packed it with grease thinking it would reduce water intrusion.

The impeller part number is embossed in the impeller and matches the old impeller.
    The vane guide (pump body) is new and has the same casting number as the old one. It is curious that the pump nose cone bolts are not M6 as the parts diagram calls for. it takes M5 bolts? The stainless liner is new and factory installed.

I did not measure the gap between the impeller and the liner since the parts were all new and not really adjustable.

I borrowed the dealers impeller tool to do the above work and I am currently waiting on the tool I ordered. I plan to take it back apart and remove most of the grease. I hope this will restore the lost top speed!

Thanks.

+1
    Okay. Impeller tool arrived today. I took it apart. Very slight marks on wear ring and impeller where they have kissed. .38 mm clearance with a feeler gauge. Removed the excess grease. It was not causing much drag in my hands anyway. Looked at the old impeller verses new and believe that maybe the old impeller was pitched for my elevation or something???

Installed the old impeller tonight will test for top speed tomorrow after work.
    Old impeller has much more clearance to wear ring than the ne impeller which makes sense since the old impeller wore against the old wear ring when the bearings failed.

Advice???

+1
    So your new complete pump has the impeller tubing the guide? Was it like this when turning by hand?

+1
    What does the engine oil look like. If it has pretty shimmering shiny specs of goldish color in the oil you have a thrust bearing issue, where the crankshaft walked forward cause the impeller wants to push the crank forward. You might be binding up here. There are other posts on this. You will not be happy putting the old impeller back in with excessive clearance. The tighter the better.....

+1
    So your post had me all stressed out about the thrust bearing. I took it to the lake and checked the oil. It was dark but no shimmering bronze or brass. Looks normal to me. I am mid way through an oil change on both my STX 12 and STX 15 right now.

I went for a ride with the old worn impeller (just the edges are worn where it rubbed on the wear ring. The leading and trailing edges are perfect.) With the old impeller it cavitates on hole shot and cavitates on chop and waves way more than it used to but IT IS STILL FASTER than the factory new impeller. Conditions were choppy and I did my best to find calm water. It maxed out at 88km/hr on the worn impeller which is better than the 84 km/hr on the factory new impeller.

I am starting to solidify my opinion that the old worn impeller was re-pitched for performance or elevation. My elevation is 344m or 1,130 feet if that means anything.

As for your question about the impeller tubing I assume you mean the liner in the vane guide. It came with the factory installed stainless wear ring. I don't think they are sold separately.

thanks!

Thread Information