2006 RXP - What to check first

Hi everyone. I'm a long time forum lurker, but rarely post for help since I usually find the answers in old posts. But I've been searching these forums for help on this one problem without finding any ideas

I have a 2006 RXP 215, pretty much stock except for a boost gauge. Recently it has started having the two issues below. I want to get some suggestions on a common cause before I start checking every sensor on the ski.

• When starting, engine cranks normally but doesn't always fire up always the first time. Sometimes I have to try again two or three times before it starts. When it does start, it "coughs" to life and runs rough for the initial few seconds. Holding the throttle open and usually ensures it starts on the first crank, but it still runs rough for a few seconds. After that first few seconds, it idles and runs normally. Having the engine cold or warm makes no difference.
    • When pulling the throttle when in the midrange, say 5500rpm, the engine revs up but then immediately drops back down to 5500rpm, then a few seconds later returns to 7000+ rpm and remains there running normally.

I'd appreciate suggestions on what to look at first.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Von Matrices View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm a long time forum lurker, but rarely post for help since I usually find the answers in old posts. But I've been searching these forums for help on this one problem without finding any ideas

I have a 2006 RXP 215, pretty much stock except for a boost gauge. Recently it has started having the two issues below. I want to get some suggestions on a common cause before I start checking every sensor on the ski.
    • When starting, engine cranks normally but doesn't always fire up always the first time. Sometimes I have to try again two or three times before it starts. When it does start, it "coughs" to life and runs rough for the initial few seconds. Holding the throttle open and usually ensures it starts on the first crank, but it still runs rough for a few seconds. After that first few seconds, it idles and runs normally. Having the engine cold or warm makes no difference.
    • When pulling the throttle when in the midrange, say 5500rpm, the engine revs up but then immediately drops back down to 5500rpm, then a few seconds later returns to 7000+ rpm and remains there running normally.
    I'd appreciate suggestions on what to look at first.
    Hi!

When were the spark plugs last changed? They would be my first suspect for the starting.

for the RPM issue it sounds like it could be your supercharger slipping - you should check and rectify this ASAP as if the clutch fails it can spread debris through the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by RXT_IAN View Post
    Hi!
    Hi! Thanks for the reply!

When were the spark plugs last changed? They would be my first suspect for the starting.
    I last changed spark plugs about two engine hours ago. I'm pretty sure the issue is not the spark plugs since the problem was occurring before the spark plug change. I was thinking the idle air control valve might be at fault, but I'm not sure about that because the ski idles smoothly at 1800 rpm (with a surge to 2100 rpm about every 60 seconds, not sure whether that is normal because I haven't owned any other 4-stroke ski for comparison).

for the RPM issue it sounds like it could be your supercharger slipping - you should check and rectify this ASAP as if the clutch fails it can spread debris through the engine.
    The supercharger was rebuilt 5 engine hours ago by GH, so I don't think it's the clutch (unless it was rebuilt incorrectly). But that brings to mind that the issue started occurring around the time I changed the oil. I used Valvoline 10W-40 4-stroke conventional motorcycle oil, which is the first time I've used that brand in the engine. Could the oil be causing a slipping clutch?

Since I haven't had any responses in over a week, I experimented and finally fixed the supercharger clutch slipping. The slipping had started around the time of the oil change, so I pumped out the Valvoline 10W-40 Conventional Motorcycle oil and replaced it with Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. Problem solved - the slipping went away and the ski has strong acceleration from any RPM. Odd since the Valvoline is rated for wet clutches and has all the right certifications, but I'll use the Shell from now on.

I still haven't found the cause of the difficult starts. It starts right away out of water with no load on the pump, but it chugs along and has trouble starting when in the water. And this is with a new, fully-charged battery. Since I can't figure it out, I'm just going to have to live with it until it gets worse and the cause become obvious.
    Last edited by The Von Matrices; 07-23-2021 at 11:40 PM.

+1
    No help, looks to me like you got a response from RXT_IAN the very next day.
    Holding the throttle open when starting pretty much will give you a hard start and coughs and rough running. You should not use any throttle to start the ski.
    Does your ski have a SET button on the left grip, if so press it 5x and see if there are any stored codes.

Find it hard to believe change the oil fixed the supercharger. I ran good old car Mobil 1 and never had slip issues.

I'm not experiencing what you're describing about the engine running rough if the throttle is used when starting. After the engine is running, idle is smooth at 1800 rpm and there are no performance issues.

If I don't open the throttle slightly just after the engine just begins to turn over on its own, it dies. Doesn't matter how many times I keep cranking it over, it won't keep running if I don't apply throttle right as it's about to catch. This would be a lot more straightforward if idling was also rough because then I could start looking for air, fuel, or spark issues. But starting is the only problem.

I got my years confused - it's a 2007, not 2006. There's no buttons to control the dash. The only error I'll see on the dash is an occasional "12V LOW" after cranking for a long time, but that doesn't seem like it would be out of the ordinary.

+1
    I've had a similar issue with starting and acceleration. It was the throttle body valve position sensor. In my case.

Check compression. Sensor readout from candoo or buds would be very helpful in sorting out the hard start it dose not need to be running for sensor reading just powered up.

Thread Information