2001 Virage TX cutting out

So I just had the carbs rebuilt and now see 6500-7K rpm's (was only seeing 4500-5K), my next issue is it will cut out while running. not shut off, just cut out, I can get back into it and it will rev back up to 6500-7K until it cuts out again. Im new to jet skis so I am kind of at a loss of what to look at next. Sounds like an electrical issue, is there anything i should test? I did some searching online and haven't really found anything helpful. Hopefully someone can help me out, or give me a direction to look. I will try to shoot a video tomorrow. Oh this is in a 12' jetboat.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet Boat.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	475773  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcustoms View Post
    … will cut out while running. not shut off, just cut out,

I can get back into it and it will rev back up to 6500-7K until it cuts out again. … this is in a 12' jetboat. …
    What exactly does cut out mean, if not shut off the engine?

You can hear it at the end, it cuts out and I feather the throttle to keep it running. What is the rev limiter set at on these skis? Could I be hitting the limiter?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcustoms View Post

You can hear it at the end, it cuts out and I feather the throttle to keep it running. What is the rev limiter set at on these skis? Could I be hitting the limiter?
    If we could see the tachometer and MFD warning message area clearly while it was happening, that might tell us something. Maybe.

Tip: clamp the camera to the dash or seat rather than hand holding

CDI rev limiter is circa 7200 going from memory. When the RPM touches the limit it generally oscillates rapidly between full power and moderately reduced power. It does not cause the engine to stumble or not idle properly.

Could be a number of other things.

Water in the fuel tank

incorrect piston clearance inside a cylinder (piston expands as engine power increases)

running fuel mixture too lean and creating excess heat on the pistons, leading to partial hot seize

Air being drawn into the fuel hoses somewhere before the fuel pump (fuel hoses feeding the fuel pumps are under suction when engine is running)

Fuel tank fuel intake drawing in air

Etc, etc

Im going to do a compression test this weekend and then take it for another run, want to read the plugs again to make sure I dont have a lean or rich condition. When I built the boat I drained all the gas and only used non ethanol fuel, doubtful it has water in the gas, all new fuel lines as well. Could the fact that the lines are now 3 or 4 feet longer be causing an issue. Maybe the pump isnt strong enough to push the extra full? I added a inline fuel filter over the winter, could this be restricting the fuel flow at fuel throttle? I am also going to try to just run it at 5k rpms to see if it does the same thing?

+1
    In-line fuel filter. Must not be a paper filter element inside.

Must be able to flow at maximum engine flow rate with nearly zero pressure drop across the filter.

Fuel pump pulls fuel from the tank using suction. Fuel system must be 100% air tight from the liquid fuel at the duel pick up tube bottom end inside the tank all the way to the fuel pump.

Does the fuel tank in the boat have baffles or plenty of vertical depth at the fuel pick up to ensure fuel does not slosh away from the fuel inlet during rough water and acceleration?

the tank is out of the ski, this is the filter I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

maybe I will pull the filter and try it again.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I doubt that filter can flow enough fuel for reliable operation

as stated, you want one with nylon mesh and a large surface area, which the top of the line K/N filter you show does not have. That's typically used in a motorcycle application with one filter for each carb, and under no circumstance should you use a paper filter in a marine application

this one is $10 at advance auto and easy to clean. The kawasaki mesh filter fuel filter used on their skis costs 3x that

removing the current filter to test is the way

ok i removed the filter i had and still had the same issue. I used an auxiliary tank and same issue. I posted my issue on facebook and someone suggested the tank vents. I removed the one for the vent when i built the boat, so its just a piece of hose with a vent. Without the one way valve in place would this cause an issue with the required tank pressure? I would think so.... is there a source that still sells these vents?

Thread Information