Genesis FFI 1200 Flywheel Magnets

Stator went bad so I pulled the flywheel and pulled the stator. One of the magnets stayed on the stator. Pulled it off and added it back to the 6 magnetics in the flywheel. All of the magnets have came loose. Flywheel is in very good condition and the magnets are in very good condition. No chips, cracks, or breaks. Can these magnets be epoxied back inside the flywheel?

+1
    This has come up in the past. I don't recall how successful it was, but I do recall a mention of the adhesive utilized. Perform a search---a browser search function performs better than the forum search.

Also, you need to keep the pole orientation of the magnets correct, north and south. If you have them mixed, it will not function correctly.

Another concern would be the balance of the flywheel. With all six being loose, the flywheel will likely be out of balance no matter how careful you attempt to maintain the spacing. In turn, that'll make short work destroying the crankshaft bearings.
    Last edited by martincom; 06-30-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Since only one magnet came off, I'm pretty sure that I put it back in the right orientation (front to back). They make a tool on amazon to identify polarity just for a safe check. It's called a Magnet Tester. I have a 3D Printer, so I am going to make a template that accurately spaces the magnets. I should be able to get the balance close to the manuafacturer. My research says that JB Weld is the best to use. No quick setting epoxy. Must cure for 48 hours.

Only alternative is a used flywheel, 4010168, for $500. Ouch!!!!

+1
    Your OP post stated "All of the magnets have come loose." I suppose a 3d printer would work to fabricate spacers, to position the magnet. Us jack pine savages are kind of backwards up here in the frozen tundra. I would have used a table saw to trial and error cut some wood shims that fit snug between the magnets that had not come loose. If it is just one magnet that came loose, you wouldn't require the tester to identify the poles. You'll want each end of the magnet to be adjacent to an opposite pole, so it'll strongly pull towards the adjacent when correct. If you have it backwards, it will repel. Of course, you 'll have to position it an angle, when testing, to keep the other end from being impacted by its adjacent end.

Please report back with your results. I don't recall anyone ever doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    Your OP post stated "All of the magnets have come loose." I suppose a 3d printer would work to fabricate spacers, to position the magnet. Us jack pine savages are kind of backwards up here in the frozen tundra. I would have used a table saw to trial and error cut some wood shims that fit snug between the magnets that had not come loose. If it is just one magnet that came loose, you wouldn't require the tester to identify the poles. You'll want each end of the magnet to be adjacent to an opposite pole, so it'll strongly pull towards the adjacent when correct. If you have it backwards, it will repel. Of course, you 'll have to position it an angle, when testing, to keep the other end from being impacted by its adjacent end.

Please report back with your results. I don't recall anyone ever doing so.
    I'm sorry. I should have been more clear. The magnetics did not come off completely. Only one came out attached to the stator. The other 5 slide together and bunched up with the rotational direction of the stator. I did some YouTube research and have discovered they sell repair kits (replacement magnetcs and epoxy).

Here is one how to video:

I am attaching a photo of my flywheel with the magnets assembled. Excuse the uneven gaps. I have thrown it back to show direction of magnets. If you look closely, there is a bevel on the corner on each magnet. This bevel must face up and in a clockwise direction. Same as video. I used a strong magnet. Depending what side of the test magnet (North or South), the end before the gap will pull the magnet away and after gap will push the magnet. In other words, Pull-Gap-Push, Pull-Gap-Push, etc. and vice versa. Depending what North or South polarity of the test magnet you are using. A Pull-Gap-Pull or a Push-Gap-Push is WRONG!

I will definately keep you informed of the results.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210701_055340.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	475678  

+1
    This seems to be the epoxy used in the OMC repair kits. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...120_em_1p_1_lm

Thread Information