Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    13

    Genesis 1200 locked up

    I recently purchased 2 Polaris genesis 1200 di skis, one of them had a bad emm and the other had a bad tps, I changed the emm on one and took it to the lake, about an hour in the ski was low on power so I popped the hood and the thing was half way full of water. I immediately drove it to shore but about half way there the ski shut off, I got towed to shore and hoped that I could just pull the plugs and blow the water out but even with the plugs out the ski wonít turn over freely itís locked up. Any idea what Iíve damaged? Is this ski salvageable or did I bend a rod or something?


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    45,627
    +1
    2,596
    Welcome.

    Click this link, save it for future reference.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do


    Well, now you know it needs the bilge pump fixed
    Unless you were riding around with the bilge pump flowing water for a long time?

    Tip: When testing a new-to-you watercraft, do not just get it going, push it out into the lake and ride around for a long time.

    Testing means you do not know what is wrong or what might be about to go wrong. So you stop frequently and check under the seat.

    The first water test is always done on the trailer at the launch ramp, with the jet pump in the water. So you can run the engine with the seat off for as long as you need to determine whether all is good, or not.




  3. +1 by:


  4. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome.

    Click this link, save it for future reference.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do


    Well, now you know it needs the bilge pump fixed
    Unless you were riding around with the bilge pump flowing water for a long time?

    Tip: When testing a new-to-you watercraft, do not just get it going, push it out into the lake and ride around for a long time.

    Testing means you do not know what is wrong or what might be about to go wrong. So you stop frequently and check under the seat.

    The first water test is always done on the trailer at the launch ramp, with the jet pump in the water. So you can run the engine with the seat off for as long as you need to determine whether all is good, or not.



    I donít know if everyone has the profile picture that you have of a red jet ski and iím not sure who you are but on almost every 10 year old greenhulk post that I see when Iím stuck on a project, your red jetski profile picture is there telling me how to fix something and I canít tell you how many times youíve helped me so thanks. Iíve just decided to sell my 2 genesis i skis and never touch a fuel injected 2 stroke ever again in my entire life even if itís for free.

    While writing this reply I just looked into the engine bay one last time and saw this

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7098.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	475756

    I think that water got into cylinder #3 and cylinder #1 and #2 decided to murder cylinder #3 with their torque, they killed him because #3 wanted to see what water tasted like but little did #3 know, water isnít flammable and it doesnít compress

    ***
    I have a zero hour rebuilt 2002 carbureted Polaris Virage tx 1200 engine in my garage, could I steal a cylinder and piston from it and stick it in my genesis and get it running?! Or are those cylinders and pistons not compatible. Itís also bored out .5 mil so would that have any effect on it even if they are compatible?
    ***

  5. #4
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    45,627
    +1
    2,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Jad951 View Post
    I donít know if everyone has the profile picture that you have of a red jet ski and iím not sure who you are but on almost every 10 year old greenhulk post that I see when Iím stuck on a project, your red jetski profile picture is there telling me how to fix something and I canít tell you how many times youíve helped me so thanks.

    ...
    That red ski in my avatar is a Yamaha GP1800. We sold our last two Polaris watercraft when we bought the Yamaha new in 2017.

    I do still help out in the Polaris forums but I no longer have any Polaris PWC. No more bins of spare parts and most of the specialized Polaris service tools have been sold or given away. Since I donít have the skis here to reference and no longer ride Polaris, almost everything I post now regarding Polaris is from memory, or from a previous thread posted years ago.


  6. #5
    sdlvx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    417
    +1
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Jad951 View Post
    I have a zero hour rebuilt 2002 carbureted Polaris Virage tx 1200 engine in my garage, could I steal a cylinder and piston from it and stick it in my genesis and get it running?! Or are those cylinders and pistons not compatible. It’s also bored out .5 mil so would that have any effect on it even if they are compatible?
    ***
    No, if you hydrolocked it while running the crank is definitely out of true, and probably out of phase. It will run horribly and probably break again very quickly if you re-use that crankshaft. I don't know compatibility between the rest of the system and the carb and DI engine, but if it's possible I would drop the carb 1200 into the genesis. But you probably need everything, electrical box, etc.

    Either that or you can split the cases and have someone true the crank. If you can't check the phase while the crank is in the motor you can just have it completely rebuilt but it's going to cost you. I would be in a very big hurry to get that water out of the engine ASAP because if you can't turn it over and get the water out it's probably just sitting there rusting everything. Once that crank rusts you are in big trouble. But I am 99% sure the DI and carb 1200 cranks are the same so maybe you could just steal that one if you can't just drop the carb 1200 into the Genesis hull. It would suck to have to take apart and brand new, fresh motor though.

    I don't know anything about the DI engines, I am an old school carb guy who prefers to be able to make changes with screws and jets. But you should get that water out of that engine ASAP before the whole thing is ruined.

  7. #6
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    45,627
    +1
    2,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Jad951 View Post
    Ö
    I have a zero hour rebuilt 2002 carbureted Polaris Virage tx 1200 engine in my garage, could I steal a cylinder and piston from it and stick it in my genesis and get it running?! Or are those cylinders and pistons not compatible. Itís also bored out .5 mil so would that have any effect on it even if they are compatible?
    ***
    I will suggest you swap in the entire carburetor engine.

    Cylinders are the same between Ficht and carb red engine three cylinder motors.

    The Ďonlyí things that need to be moved between the busted Ficht engine and the good carburetor engine would be;
    Flywheel and stator
    Cylinder heads with injectors and ignition coils
    Throttle bodies
    CPS sensor on flywheel housing


    The easiest method is to release gas cap air pressure, then unbolt all three Ficht cylinder heads with fuel hoses and wires attached. Set the whole mess aside, wrapped in a big towel, while you pull the busted engine.

    Cap the crankcase pulse ports on the carb engine.

    Probably a handful of minor items I have not mentioned.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 99' XL 1200 Limited steering locked
    By Meen95z in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-14-2016, 12:41 AM
  2. slx 1200 swapped with genesis 1200 motor now firing issues?
    By 07blkz71ccltz in forum Polaris Projects
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2014, 09:38 PM
  3. Genesis 1200 needs
    By lleafs in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 11:11 PM
  4. Genesis 1200
    By partsme in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 09:51 PM
  5. 1200 genesis
    By rlt in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2007, 07:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •