Post 2021 FX SVHO Oil Level

Hello,

I have a 2021 FX SVHO Limited and I just performed the 10 service. When changing the oil I noticed that by using a 2 foot level across the engine that there is a slight slope front to back as it's mounted to the inner liner and also it's not perfectly level from side to side.....this is all while on flat ground.

Do you guys use a level and adjust accordingly to properly check oil level?....because it does impact, at least for me, how it reads on the dipstick and it's driving me crazy.

Thanks.

+1
    I noticed the same thing about the tilt of the engine in the hull. For this reason, I made sure to pull my 2019 GP 1800R's dipstick and take a reading when the ski was still in the break-in stage. I figured that Yamaha had filled the oil to the proper level and with only 1 hr of run time, it probably hadn't burned any appreciable amount oil.

I keep my ski on a lift on my dock and the ski is sitting slightly nose up. My thoughts are that if I always check the oil while the ski is on the lift, the oil level will be referenced to that slight, nose up attitude.

I do own a double jetski trailer but the ski has only been on the trailer one time. I didn't check the oil level while it was on the trailer so I can't speak to how much the oil level would change if the ski's attitude were perfectly level on the trailer vs the nose up attitude on my dock's lift.

Yea I have the same tilt on the lift at dock so it's definitely not accurate on that.

Did you notice that it's not level side to side as well. After using a level I found that it lean towards the right side (side of dipstick) when on level ground.

I have to lower the nose and jack up the right side a little bit to get the engine level on both planes...using the level.

I guess the easiest way is to just replace what you removed but still kind of bugs me.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I put a compact level on the ignition coils and adjust the trailer until the engine is level. Then do the oil level check.

This would typically be right after an oil change and very short engine run, to confirm correct oil fill.

The rest of the time between oil changes I just eyeball the engine for level on the trailer and check the oil. If I really want to be accurate I get the level out.

+1
    Kinglork, in your original post you said that you'd just done the 10 hr service. That means that you have already removed the OEM Yamaha oil. I'm guessing that you didn't check the oil level when the ski was on your lift. Did you measure the amount of oil that you removed? I'm guessing that you did measure it. As long as you put back in about the same amount of oil that you removed you're going to be very close. Guessing how much oil is in the old filter and with some oil spillage, it's all an educated guess and none of us can be exact but you don't have to be exact. That's why you can be anywhere between the dipstick's full and "add oil" mark.

I prefer to be near the full mark but we're safe anywhere in between. Like K447 just said above, "The rest of the time between oil changes I just eyeball the engine for level on the trailer and check the oil." This is good enough!

Thread Information