Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beernutz View Post
    Is there a way to completely download the old site as it sits? I know some hosts allow you to do that. I have experience in very basic html and could possibly get everything over to the new site before it goes live.
    The new web site hosting system has different limitations than the old. They did an automated transfer, and where things would not directly conform the new site now has differences.

Sure, I imagine the old site could be downloaded and archived somewhere.

It needed maintenance anyways, so this forced host change aligns with needing other work done.
    Corrections, updates, add new info, and so on.

+1
    If I pm you my Gmail, could you give me access to the site? I've been doing a little research and it looks like I can download an archive and possibly get it new sites ready.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beernutz View Post
    … access to the site?

… I can download an archive and possibly get it new sites ready.
    Do you need something more than this?

This is the entire ‘old site’, publicly online.

Quote Originally Posted by K447
    Here is a link to the old/current web site.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

And this is what the ‘forced upgrade’ web site currently looks like.
    https://sites.google.com/view/polari...t-things-to-do

+1

Posting proper links into PolarisPWCknowledge web site

From a mild rant I just posted :/

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    How is it that after a decade people are still posting the incorrect links into that web site?

Almost every landing page has THIS at the top;
    URL link to this web page ==> First things to do

You right click that link, copy it straight from the web page, then paste THAT link into your forum posts.
    The proper link will have the format
    something.shorturl.com

And the main front web page includes this;

Tip: When linking to these info pages please use the URL link on the actual page (as shown on the next line), not a link copied from the browser address bar.
    URL link to this page - Polaris PWC Knowledge

Note: Copying the URL from the browser address bar results in the Google sites URL, which is liable/likely going to break sometime later this year.
    Tip: If you are pasting from saved URL links, and those pasted links are NOT ending with shorturl.com then you have saved the wrong links. Save the correct links per the above, and please post those.

Thank you.

+1
    I've been doing web design and stuff for a long time. I would absolutely help and do the vast majority of the web design and hosting stuff if I were allowed to either put up my own ads (Google AdSense) or accept donations. I have some spare servers I could use too if no one wants to do the hosting or we want to get off of google hosting.

It almost seems like we'd be better off just converting it all to a wiki that cites GH when applicable.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post
    … allowed to either put up my own ads (Google AdSense) or accept donations.

… if … we want to get off of google hosting.

It almost seems like we'd be better off just converting it all to a wiki that cites GH when applicable.
    Google has generally been fine as the web site content host. They are forcing a change to the underlying web site structure, which is effectively pushing the whole ‘how is this thing going to carry on without me?’ issue closer to the front burner.

I have intentionally disabled advertising across all of the posted content. I have no doubt it would generate at least a modest cash flow given the web view traffic. I do maintain a few basic URL traffic counters. I actually pay some money to support the web linking and traffic monitoring.

If this thing is not worth being maintained just on its own merits, then the money from ads is not going to make it work.

Wiki style still requires content moderators and editor access control. Without which the spammers and vandals will weasel their way in and make a mess.

+1
    Well, apparently a portion of the collected info is no longer accessible online.
    Google Drive ‘Access denied’ message now appears when clicking on links to some downloadable PDF.

If I find some time I might start poking at the problem, but without someone to take over the maintenance and do the work to bring the web sites up to snuff, more things are likely to break and more Polaris PWC info will ‘disappear’

I have not done anything to maintain the site since Google initially sent me the warnings that it must be upgraded or it will be archived and effectively ‘go dark’.

+1
    I believe I have downloaded the entire site that is available, including available images and PDFs. At the very least I have a back up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Well, apparently a portion of the collected info is no longer accessible online.
    Google Drive ‘Access denied’ …

If I find some time I might start poking at the problem, but without someone to take over the maintenance and do the work to bring the web sites up to snuff, more things are likely to break and more Polaris PWC info will ‘disappear’

Those that need the info can try again.

During the coming winter season, perhaps the Polaris PWC community can get together and get some/most of the site converted, updated and hopefully improved.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3128256

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information