Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Turbo FZ Build

Your engines are forged or in stock

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by alex46 View Post
    Your engines are forged or in stock
    The motor is stock. it has 48 hours on it when I pulled charger, swapped injectors, Map sensor, and installed turbo.

+1
    I got tired of just looking at this thread. The build has begun.
    I got 1 test with an actual tune for my methanol setup, and the ski had amazing mid range. Then the clutch gave out.
    Pulled the water/meth kit and the exhaust (which I just opened and gutted and welded back together)
    This build thread has been my inspiration. Where did you get the banjo to 6an fitting for oil supply? I've been looking for something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211026_160521.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	480053  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper9789 View Post
    I got tired of just looking at this thread. The build has begun.
    I got 1 test with an actual tune for my methanol setup, and the ski had amazing mid range. Then the clutch gave out.
    Pulled the water/meth kit and the exhaust (which I just opened and gutted and welded back together)
    This build thread has been my inspiration. Where did you get the banjo to 6an fitting for oil supply? I've been looking for something.

Awesome man! I bet when that clutch went out you where F THIS turbo it is! haha

here is the link for the fitting, pricy little one... but fit Stock Banjo bolt using stock rubber washer/gaskets then 6an line from it. Did you weld up the Up pipe? is it jacketed? look forward to watching your build.

What turbo are you using?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    Awesome man! I bet when that clutch went out you where F THIS turbo it is! haha

here is the link for the fitting, pricy little one... but fit Stock Banjo bolt using stock rubber washer/gaskets then 6an line from it. Did you weld up the Up pipe? is it jacketed? look forward to watching your build.

What turbo are you using?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Yes, I welded the up pipe. It will be jacketed, (its not yet in the picture)
    I actually ordered the wrong turbo, its a gtx2867 (turbine is a 54/47, which I misread). I think I need to go up to the 3067, it has a bit larger turbine (60/55). They are overall the same size, so I can get this one mocked up for now.

+1
    Well I know the 3076 is popular, but if you want fast spooling the smaller turbo is still in the range for power wise, so the compressor map should not be out of steam.

just like the car world everyone wants a giant turbo, and then it spools late, and make more then they can use/handle. properly sized for the power/boost/displacement will make a better working system.

Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    Well I know the 3076 is popular, but if you want fast spooling the smaller turbo is still in the range for power wise, so the compressor map should not be out of steam.

just like the car world everyone wants a giant turbo, and then it spools late, and make more then they can use/handle. properly sized for the power/boost/displacement will make a better working system.

I think it all just depends on the setup as well, The biggest turbo ski I've ridden was a 6466 and it spooled very quickly.

+1
    This is something I have been thinking about too, and I think mittens and I brought it up previously.

My point is I wonder if lag is a smaller issue with a PWC than it is with a car. Because it is true with a car you have to consider lag with regards to your usage case. I have a pretty big, laggy turbo on my Rex but personally that is fine as I just accept I need to be in the right gear, and that when I am not it will suck, and off the line I either use a lot of clutch or bog down. But when I am over 5,000rpm the thing is lag free fun power that a small turbo will not provide. However for a lot of people they would find it sub-optimal, because you really do have to drive around the lag. Hence a lot of people like the standard STI turbos etc.

But a PWC to me is a bit more like a racing scooter or pocket bike etc, where you have a single gear but a centrifugal clutch (and in scooters a CVT transmission). With those 2 stroke machines, you generally tune them for peak power, and then work on getting the transmission to keep it near peak rpm in as broad a range of conditions as possible.

If I hit the throttle hard on my ski, it doesn't gradually climb in revs, it just spins the impeller and revs and takes off, sometimes with some cavitation but never bogs down. So as long as the turbo is not so large and laggy that you can't build revs quickly, it seems to me that you can get more usage out of a big turbo in a PWC than a car (or bike). And the reason is that an impeller in water is acting more like a clutch or CVT than it is like a fixed gear ratio.

Unless I am missing something fundamental here???

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrofizix View Post
    This is something I have been thinking about too, and I think mittens and I brought it up previously.

My point is I wonder if lag is a smaller issue with a PWC than it is with a car. Because it is true with a car you have to consider lag with regards to your usage case. I have a pretty big, laggy turbo on my Rex but personally that is fine as I just accept I need to be in the right gear, and that when I am not it will suck, and off the line I either use a lot of clutch or bog down. But when I am over 5,000rpm the thing is lag free fun power that a small turbo will not provide. However for a lot of people they would find it sub-optimal, because you really do have to drive around the lag. Hence a lot of people like the standard STI turbos etc.

But a PWC to me is a bit more like a racing scooter or pocket bike etc, where you have a single gear but a centrifugal clutch (and in scooters a CVT transmission). With those 2 stroke machines, you generally tune them for peak power, and then work on getting the transmission to keep it near peak rpm in as broad a range of conditions as possible.

If I hit the throttle hard on my ski, it doesn't gradually climb in revs, it just spins the impeller and revs and takes off, sometimes with some cavitation but never bogs down. So as long as the turbo is not so large and laggy that you can't build revs quickly, it seems to me that you can get more usage out of a big turbo in a PWC than a car (or bike). And the reason is that an impeller in water is acting more like a clutch or CVT than it is like a fixed gear ratio.

Unless I am missing something fundamental here???
    The only time I could see it having much lag is the load. since its essentially always in 1:1 gear, it should spool much better than on a car. But, if you have a short prop(13/17) or something and the motor can hit the limiter on take off without boost, you will have lag. Anytime the prop cavitates, you will have lag.
    But I agree with you. My main thing is roll racing from just getting on plane, and coming out of a turn on a buoy course. I dont actually need the ski to go 90 anyway.

+1
    I also have one more question, or discussion rather. Do you think the exhaust temp sensor actually reads the exhaust temp, or water temp coming from the motor? If you think about it, the sensor is originally right where the rectifier water comes in. Im thinking a little block with the sensor and the rectifier water going out a pisser would be a better solution than putting it in the up pipe with the fresh cold water coming in from the pump. Just a thought.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information