Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Turbo FZ Build

+1
    This build just keeps getting better.

I am on the same page with setting it up for the real world conditions you most often find yourself in. I would take mid 90s repeatable in virtually any conditions than 100 in idealised narrow conditions any day.

I take it the turbo is still well within the compressor map high efficiency area if you push manifold boost up to 20 psi? Do you have much pressure drop from the compressor outlet to the inlet manifold?

Also, do you even really have to worry about lag at all on a jet ski turbo setup? As in, doesn't the thing go straight to high rpms whenever you hit the throttle anyway, regardless of speed when you hit it? Here I mean what rpm the turbo spools, not throttle lag from long pipes etc.

+1
    This turbo is good to around 27lbs on a 1.8L after that its not efficient. not saying it cant push it to 30 but its going to be out of its range. Not what I plan to do anyway. Rec ski I ride and drink beer on once a week ha. uses pump gas 93 so I can take it anywhere and no worries. So anything over 20lbs ish is past 93s usability normally. I wanted small fastest spooling set up to meat those goals.

It spools fast... if you stab it from idle it spools before the ski is on plane... it hits about 1/2 on plane and shoots the ski out of the water. launching it from a dead idle is tricky haha what I have found is I stab it, and then right as its about to do that lift once and hit it again... this allows the ski to fall on top of the water as its lights the second time. But other then that if you riding the ski. there is no delay period... ski on plane is at least 3500 rpms or higher so the turbo is spooled and ready you stab and it rips arms off. ha. not even a slightest delay like that.

+1
    Yes that is a well sized turbo then, because being able to go to close to 30 psi if you want but still spool well is hardly even a compromise at all. I was thinking I would go a bit bigger so it has more flow and therefore power at the top end, but still within reason. A bit of lag I can handle, but I don't want to be sitting there 'waiting' for anything to spool lol.

If you were building an entire engine from scratch, would you consider lower compression so you can run higher boost on the pump gas?

Surely the hit from the turbo feels stronger than the hit from the supercharger did?

+1
    SVHO is already 8.5:1 so not exactly a high compression motor. It was build for boost.

The turbo hits harder for sure. Saw for example cruising 5000 rpms.. when you nail it it's instanlty
    at 18 lbs not ramping up RPMs for that boost.

+1
    Got some good weather. 75 & sunny & 73 water temps.
    5 skis rode 65 mile trip to a bar for lunch & back. I did not adjust fuel as it was was a little leaner with it being in 70s vs our normal 90s but checked the AFR & little leaner but nothing to bad AFR 11.8-12.0. I let a buddy with a new seadoo 300 take it for a test ride on a beer stop. He set a new best (he is 165 lbs & I am 250 haha)

9360rpms @ 18 lbs of boost, 1/2 tank of fuel, still had 8 beers in front cooler, Mini jump box, some tools, & dry cloths.

93mph.

Will pull pump & check pitch of the 13/20 that's been tweaked I am running & possibly order a fresh one for spring. So I have some room to turn boost to 20
    Last edited by mittens; 09-26-2021 at 06:59 PM.

+1
    Well that really seems to confirm it is a great build. Did you have to refuel at any point? If I ride mine in eco mode at around 50mph I will hit the fuel light from an overfilled tank before 60 miles (in open ocean). If I hold it pinned in full power mode it won't go half that distance. And mine sure doesn't do anywhere near 93....

What is your ideal peak RPM?

+1
    I have limiter set at 9500. So 9350 is pretty good as far as WOT RPM. Problem is I can't turn the boost past 18.. so need to step the prop up some I think. Then again I like this prop for summer heat. But I would like to see it steeped up & 20psi to know what it will do ha.

I had fuel left for sure. I had just dropped to the 1/4 tank bar when pulling in marina. So I have 6.75 gallons left. 5.5 mpg not to bad.

most of this ride was 5000-5500 rpms cruising 40 mph. Few short blasts, & his 2-3 test passes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	908E9EEE-CA90-4F90-A3A4-5815C54C4417.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	478944  
    Last edited by mittens; 09-26-2021 at 07:00 PM.

+1
    That is so much better than mine.

Really shows the price you pay for a deep hull in the ultra. Even if I also cruised at 40mph, I don't think it would use much less fuel at all than at 50. Because it takes a fair bit just to get the Ultra up on a plane, and it is hard to get the eco indicator to even come on below 40mph. Effective planing is above that speed.

But also I am impatient and want to cross the big shipping channels and gaps between the islands quickly lol. So I just have to accept that I am going to have to start carrying fuel for some trips.

Do you notice a difference in consumption between flat water and ocean swell?

Will be interesting to see how it goes at 20 psi, I agree it is worth putting the bigger prop on and seeing what you can get out of it. No point going to all the work you have just to leave something like that on the table. Best thing is, it will probably use even less fuel when cruising as the extra boost is just a wastegate setting and nothing to do with the turbo itself (so no effect off-boost), and the engine will be turning less rpm at the same cruise speed!

+1
    Im glad I came across this thread. My 3rd clutch is making weird noises, and im sick of it. (120 hours) Its the "upgraded" clutch and been in the ski less than 20 hours. (I am spinning 9200rpm)
    Im thinking of doing turbo over the winter. I want to try and mount it up front though. Then I can use the old supercharger mounting to brace the turbo and the pipes will be really short on the cold side.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrofizix View Post
    That is so much better than mine.

Really shows the price you pay for a deep hull in the ultra. Even if I also cruised at 40mph, I don't think it would use much less fuel at all than at 50. Because it takes a fair bit just to get the Ultra up on a plane, and it is hard to get the eco indicator to even come on below 40mph. Effective planing is above that speed.

But also I am impatient and want to cross the big shipping channels and gaps between the islands quickly lol. So I just have to accept that I am going to have to start carrying fuel for some trips.

Do you notice a difference in consumption between flat water and ocean swell?

Will be interesting to see how it goes at 20 psi, I agree it is worth putting the bigger prop on and seeing what you can get out of it. No point going to all the work you have just to leave something like that on the table. Best thing is, it will probably use even less fuel when cruising as the extra boost is just a wastegate setting and nothing to do with the turbo itself (so no effect off-boost), and the engine will be turning less rpm at the same cruise speed!
    i have not rode it with the turbo this year in the ocean. But it's better then the charger & I have ran it the year before in ocean.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information