Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo FZ Build

+1
    Excellent set up! My only suggestion: fab up a brace for the turbo. Between heat and vibration the V-ban clamp can loosen.

+1
    Thanks!

my worry with a brace is I wanted (think it needs) to all move with the motor. So can't just brace it on the hull in the rear. Open to suggestions but seems like everyone just floats them off the header.

3. +1 by:

+1
    After a few rides (4), whole systems seems to be working good. I had a V Band leak between the Turbine and the Up pipe.... which disappointed me as that's the point of V bands!. I guess there is a scratch, or slight warp? not sure. But I bought the real Borg Warner flanges with lips and everthing…. But learned they make V band gaskets, Some out of coper, others out of Aluminum with a raised bubble in the middle. Tired one of the APT ones below and no more leak. (it was small anyway but was allowing random soot drops in my clean bilge) Now everything is clean and no leaks. No water leaks either. Rode 35 miles yesterday and hull is bone dry once back on trailer.

Currently at 49 PSI of fuel, and 11.7-11.8 AFR and 17 lbs of boost for the past 3 rides. It ran 90 on GPS multiple outings now always with fuel, and beer and some tools. All in Alabama heat 85+ weather and humid, and I am 600 sea level. I probably should lean it out some more or turn the boost up some but trying to enjoy ski and rides and not just test the whole afternoon. Soon will have more days to play. Just swapped ride plates from Deans to a Jims/speed cut to try next outing for more speed/trim, will see if it will hold the bow up between that and the wedge. I have some bounce WOT. I have yet to run it light, with no cooler on the buzzer. lowest its been is 1/2 tank and beer and tools ha.

Nice not worrying about clutch's, and the instant boost is a blast. sounds cool as well!. I also have been on the SAME WIDEBAND sensor working all the time on every ride. that's a huge deal as I used to put on in and tune for 5-10 passes and it would be dead. so its nice having that all the time and working.

I do need to work on making a instake tube for it, right now its just the raw turbo sucking air. I need a 3.5 inch to 4 inch 90, and then some Kanaflex to connect it to one of the intake ports on the hull under handle bars. Not sure if the turbo will pick up any speed with coler air and then hot turbo again or not. Or if the turbo sounds will come out the hull more too. I will try at some point.

Can see V band gasket here:
    https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=GSK
    Last edited by mittens; 10-12-2021 at 01:16 PM.

+1
    So swapped my ride plate out & now with the wedge & other plate that has more trim cut into it... ski now carrys the bow. 91mph 9350 rpms. & I learned I am
    not at 17lbs. I have been watching air fuels like a hawk. & just been using the boost gauges peak boost recall to check & dial boost up to "17lbs". Well Friday was riding & air fuel still look great (11.7). I have not had to adjust as weather has been the same.. HOT. So swapped gauge to boost & watched what's going on during a pull... I have slight boost spike then stables out... so it's only making 15.8-16.2 lbs WOT.. & running those speeds. So will turn it up a little more next time out to try & get a solid 17-18lbs on a pull.

but I bet I run out of prop. Limiter is 9500. Spinning 9350 on good runs now.
    Last edited by mittens; 06-28-2021 at 02:29 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    Thanks!

my worry with a brace is I wanted (think it needs) to all move with the motor. So can't just brace it on the hull in the rear. Open to suggestions but seems like everyone just floats them off the header.
    Yeah, might be difficult to fab up a brace, but its not impossible. After a few rides check the tightness of the V-Band clamp....its 25 pounds of turbo held on by one bolt and nut!

+1
    SO I am less worried about a single V band as I am the weight of the turbo breaking/cracking the Up pipe as its supports it all. BUT it seems others all do this as well so maybe I am just paranoid. Also the pipe is really 2 pipes with it being jacketed so that makes it strong. Have to remember my whole midwall is in tact, so any brace has to go around it some how... and attach to the motor. OR could build a Brace that mounts to the transom top bolts, and mounts a Stock motor mount... then brace bolts to it.. so same rubber movement should be allowed... who knows
    Last edited by mittens; 10-12-2021 at 01:18 PM.

+1
    This is a nice build, and a great write up. After getting some use out of my ski, maybe take it to a couple hundred hours supercharged with light mods, I want to build a turbo rig too. Ideally a switchable map setup, so I can have a max boost fun setup and a cruise setup that maximises fuel economy and reliability for high speed ocean cruising.

Can you have two tunes with your ECU/boost controller setup? What static compression ratio is the engine?

+1
    SVHO is 8.5:1 compression ratio.

Fuel wise. If your cruising it's not in boost & getting good fuel., prett sure better then with blower. I know with blower 5500 is high as you can go with out making positive boost. I can get up to 6600 or so if just cruising with out making positive boost. I rode 36 miles the other day & only dropped first fuel bar. Ha

+1
    Good to know, same compression as Kawasaki. I think I will push to 20 pounds, but only if it doesn't knock.

Yes actually part of my reasoning to do a turbo build is exactly that, it should be better economy for cruising. Like you say you can keep it out of boost for longer, depending on turbo size. Especially true with the roots blower in the 310, it is a more linear boost curve.

But even at the same boost, a turbo should use less fuel and make more power thanks to no mechanical drag on the engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    SO I am less worried about a single V band as I am the weight of the turbo breaking/cracking the Up pipe as its supports it all. BUT it seems others all do this as well so maybe I am just paranoid also the pipe is really 2 pipes with being jacketed. Have to remember my whole midwall is in tact. so any brace has to go around it some how... and attach to the motor. OR could build a Brace that mounts to the transom top bolts, and mounts a Stock motor mount... then brace bolts to it.. so same rubber movement should be allowed... who knows

Yeah, a rubber mount will work great in supporting the weight of the turbo. I use a bracket attached to the backside of the compressor housing to a rubber mount below.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information