Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Riva Pro Sponson for Yamaha FX Cruiser SVHO 2021

I purchased the Riva sponsons for my FX. I have them setup to the lowest setting and ithe differences is amazing. The problem is when you have to people on the wave runner. Every time i have one person on the ski (2 people on the ski) the PWC becomes-unstable. Very hard to keep it straight at lower speeds(30 MPH).

I have only rode on a lake and it gets worst when itís windy.
    Is this normal?
    Is it because I have it at the lowest setting that itís unstable with two riders?
    Would the Riva ride Plate fix this issue?

Thank you for the support.

+1
    Riding at lowest setting is sketchy IMO. Most ride all the way up or in the middle at most. Easily adjusted. Try and see, you'll probably be happier. Having all the way down and turning at high speed is a good way to get launched too. Again, just my opinion.

I am experiencing the same thing with my 21 fx svho. I have the ride plate installed and have tried them on the middle and highest setting with the same results. I'm waiting to hear back from Brian at riva now. It's so bad my girlfriend won't ride on it with the new sponsons.

Might be the passenger leaning is causing the ski to turn.
    Last edited by gsxr1300; 07-19-2021 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr1300 View Post
    Might be the passenger leaning is causing the ski to turn.
    No, it's doing it without the passenger also it's just much worse with the passenger.

+1
    I have some ordered for my 2019…subscribing

Riva got back with me today after I sent a follow-up email. They claim they have never heard of this issue. They recommend I lower them all the way down and try that. I am going to give it a shot this weekend and report back. I sent pictures to them from all angles and they said everything looks to be installed correctly and in working order. I'm not very confident that lowering them will help consider everyone recommended running them in the middle or all the way up but I'll give it a try.

+1
    It's definitely a different ride having the Riva sponsons, control can be a little different and at times. It comes with a learning curve. Sliding the back end around for example is not an option. You will learn to use the sponsons to carve and using your body weight and position of your body on the ski will make all the difference. Proper use of the throttle as well, it's a combination. Still say all the way down is gonna be too much, but maybe it works for you. Keep us posted.

I just got a chance today to try out the sponsons set all the way down like Riva R&D recommended and It made the problem alot worse. At low speed with a passenger it feels like riding in a boats wake with the ski constantly tilting side to side and the rear fish tailing causing me to constantly have to correct it. At high speed it seems to straighten out and ride better but still tends to track back and forth. It definitely handles like it's on rails at high speed while cornering but that it the only positive thing I have to say about them. I put the stock sponsons back on to confirm that the sponsons were the problem and it's 100% better. I've sent another email to Riva and am waiting for another solution. I will keep everyone posted.

+1
    It sounds like from the original post that most of the issues were at low speeds. While the FX platform is larger and more stable, it can still have issues with balance the weight of 2 people if not centered correctly on the ski. Having the stadium seating on the Cruiser can exacerbate the issue. Similarly, having two people on an 1800 can make the machine unstable if the weight is not centered. Not to get to personal, but could it be that there is a lot of weight on the ski when riding with two people? If so, combine that with one person leaning heavy to one side (looking around the driver) and especially while on the far back (higher) portion of the Cruiser seat, it could certainly cause even the FX to become unstable at lower speeds. I only mention this as a long shot. As an owner of a very similar ski, I simply don't have issues at all with lower speeds. My ski feels near impossible to get off balance. I'm riding alone though 99% of the time. My ski does have a different ride plate but this shouldn't matter at all on lower speeds. Only for higher speeds. If you're under 40 mph, I can't imagine the sponsons or the ride plate should make that much of a difference. Most of the folks here, including myself, change the plate and sponsons on the 18 up FX due to instability when exceeding 70. They gets sketchy for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information