Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnInFL View Post
    It sounds like from the original post that most of the issues were at low speeds. While the FX platform is larger and more stable, it can still have issues with balance the weight of 2 people if not centered correctly on the ski. Having the stadium seating on the Cruiser can exacerbate the issue. Similarly, having two people on an 1800 can make the machine unstable if the weight is not centered. Not to get to personal, but could it be that there is a lot of weight on the ski when riding with two people? If so, combine that with one person leaning heavy to one side (looking around the driver) and especially while on the far back (higher) portion of the Cruiser seat, it could certainly cause even the FX to become unstable at lower speeds. I only mention this as a long shot. As an owner of a very similar ski, I simply don't have issues at all with lower speeds. My ski feels near impossible to get off balance. I'm riding alone though 99% of the time. My ski does have a different ride plate but this shouldn't matter at all on lower speeds. Only for higher speeds. If you're under 40 mph, I can't imagine the sponsons or the ride plate should make that much of a difference. Most of the folks here, including myself, change the plate and sponsons on the 18 up FX due to instability when exceeding 70. They gets sketchy for sure.
    The ski does it with or without a passenger. On the highest setting it's not really noticeable without the passenger but still doesn't track as straight as stock, on the middle setting it is noticeable with or without a passenger and becomes a pain to keep straight with the passenger and on the lowest setting it is a pain without a passenger and basically worthless with a passenger. If I put the stock sponsons back on the problem goes away. I have had 4 people on the ski with the stock sponsons "3 adults and 1 child " at low speed while recovering them from being slung off a tube and while it was definitely unstable it was nothing like 2 riders with the riva sponsons. I'm thinking they are some how defective. I guess you would have to ride it to understand.

+1
    Wow, that's pretty wild man. I remember when I first rode my 2020 FX coming from my 09, the new hull seemed to teeter from one side of the hull to the other when cruising. Rarely straight and level like the 09 was. It would ride on the left side of center or the right side of center. I'm sure it still does it but Im just used to it now. No joke, if you feel squirrely now, try it at 80ish, it can get interesting for sure. A learning curve on riding style. I just can't imagine how sponsons could be defective. There's not much to them. Maybe post some pics of them installed. Side, top, bottom and back views. Just trying to think of anything we could help with here.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnInFL View Post
    Wow, that's pretty wild man. I remember when I first rode my 2020 FX coming from my 09, the new hull seemed to teeter from one side of the hull to the other when cruising. Rarely straight and level like the 09 was. It would ride on the left side of center or the right side of center. I'm sure it still does it but Im just used to it now. No joke, if you feel squirrely now, try it at 80ish, it can get interesting for sure. A learning curve on riding style. I just can't imagine how sponsons could be defective. There's not much to them. Maybe post some pics of them installed. Side, top, bottom and back views. Just trying to think of anything we could help with here.
    I have sent detailed pictures to riva from all angles and they said everything looked good. I took it to riva in key largo and the service manager said everything was right as far as he could see but had never seen sponsons like them as they don't install many there. If I can figure out how to post pictures on here I will. I also don't know how they could be defective but I wouldn't think you would have to sacrifice rideability at cruising speed and straight line tracking so you can corner faster. Seems like you are giving up way more than you are gaining. It doesn't really give me any issues at high speed. I went 76 with the riva sponsons today and 78 with the stock sponsons with no passenger and 75 with a passenger and stock sponsons. Little porpoising at 78 but felt stable. At high speed with the riva sponsons my only complaint is it tracking back and forth.

+1
    Sounds like the sponsons are good to go man. If possible, try to ride another similar ski while out and about. I'm thinking it's just the nature of the new hull. I clearly remember loving the power and zero cavitation of the ski brand new. I immediately felt like it was tethering to one side or the other though. Keep us posted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information