08 RXP 255 Supercharger Removal?

Trying to removal the supercharger on my 08' RXP 255. I have the lower 2 bolts out, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the top rear-facing bolt. I think it's 10mm but I can't find a wrench or socket that can contort to fit behind. Is there a trick to this I'm missing?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCRemovalRed.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	471892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Supercharger.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	358.7 KB 
ID:	471893  

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you'll need to remove the exhaust coupler and unstrap the water box and move the entire affair to the rear to get enough room to get a wrench on it. You need to do that in order to get the sc off the engine in any case.

the bolt was originally a torx, and seadoo has a special tool ( shown in your manual clip) to assist in getting that bolt off, but it looks like "somebody" replaced it with a hex head, likely fater having to grind off the old one after damaging it.

once you get the exhaust system out of the way you have to find a pretty then wrench to get on that bolt. Some folks have ground down wrenches as it is really tight there. The hex head bolt does complicate things for you. Tread carefully. Having to grind off that bolt head is a pain to say the least

To avoid a grind a thon, I'd spray the bolt area with some penetrating oil while you remove the exhaust. careful with the clamp nut, it's a special and you don't want to totally spin it off. It's brutal easy to cross thread. Exhaust clamp might need a little persuasion also.

There are a couple of how to's on the forum that will help you see what you need to be doing

oh yeah, getting the waterbox strap on needs some help too. find your biggest oldest rattiest flat blade and grind a small notch in the blade. That will help you push the strap back onto its hook. Be really careful pushing any tool, wear gloves. I give the strap a good stretch and use some lube on the contact area on the waterbox to help it slide into position to hook it up

good luck!

Got it out - you're right, it seems like the previous owner installed a regular 10mm bolt. At least I know it's been rebuilt before! I had to remove the TOPS valve above and got an extra long 10mm wrench from the hardware store. After about 20 minutes of slowly turning I got it out. Now off for a rebuild.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by livefromheaven View Post
    Got it out - you're right, it seems like the previous owner installed a regular 10mm bolt. At least I know it's been rebuilt before! I had to remove the TOPS valve above and got an extra long 10mm wrench from the hardware store. After about 20 minutes of slowly turning I got it out. Now off for a rebuild.
    Let me suggest that you purchase replacement torx bolts for the supercharger and then you can use a quarter inch box wrench for the rear facing bolt. I rarley needed to use the special tool except when the bolt is not in great condition

Dropping those supercharger attachment bolts during installation is extremely frustrating because they’re not very magnetic and they’re hard to fish out of the hull

I actually bought a box of them because a lot of the superchargers that I did back in the day were so neglected that the back facing bolts had to be cut out with a die grinder oh joy

Over the last several years I started tying light weight fishing line around the bolt heads before I try to slip them in the place so I in case I fat fingered it they be easily retrieved and the fishing line would be crushed when the bolts were tightened and easily removed

+1
    The regular hex bolt is actually a good idea but he should have used couple extra washers to bring the nut head a little further out so its easier for a wrench to grab it.

You can grind down a regular wrench a little to make it fit over that nut. I have a hex in that spot with 3 washers and have a tiny wrench which I grind down a little to fit. Works great.

I would not replace it with a torx, those are much easier to strip if you're not getting a good grip.

+1
    My rubber strap tool is one of these-->https://www.amazon.com/dandelion-too...dandelion+tool

Works like a champ!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    My rubber strap tool is one of these-->https://www.amazon.com/dandelion-too...dandelion+tool

Works like a champ!
    Looks like a grillin utensil, lol. RR

Thread Information