+1

Sustained Throttle - River Runs - Cooling

All,

Have a question regarding sustained throttle use. We have a river(fresh water) in our area that is fairly wide, about 12 miles from the start of the run to the end. During our runs we have a mix of skis and we love to go full blast as much as we can. The river is smooth, low current(1-2km/h), and can easily fit 6-7 skis in a offset side by side configuration safely.

I noticed last year at the start of the run my ski was doing around 77-78(SCOM only, against the current) top speed all the way to the turn around. After returning by the end I was only reaching 74-75(with the current). My guess is heat soak. What would be more beneficial for this type of riding, Open Loop cooling, or Intercooler? Is one more suited to handle this type of riding? We typically run full throttle anywhere from 30 second to 2 minute bursts.

I have added some additions to the ski this year and want to make sure I add the proper supporting mods. Sure both would help but don't want to spend extra money if I do not have to.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff24680 View Post
    All,

Have a question regarding sustained throttle use. We have a river(fresh water) in our area that is fairly wide, about 12 miles from the start of the run to the end. During our runs we have a mix of skis and we love to go full blast as much as we can. The river is smooth, low current(1-2km/h), and can easily fit 6-7 skis in a offset side by side configuration safely.

I noticed last year at the start of the run my ski was doing around 77-78(SCOM only, against the current) top speed all the way to the turn around. After returning by the end I was only reaching 74-75(with the current). My guess is heat soak. What would be more beneficial for this type of riding, Open Loop cooling, or Intercooler? Is one more suited to handle this type of riding? We typically run full throttle anywhere from 30 second to 2 minute bursts.

I have added some additions to the ski this year and want to make sure I add the proper supporting mods. Sure both would help but don't want to spend extra money if I do not have to.
    I’m interested in hearing this response, as I too ride the Detroit river��. I’m waiting on my ‘21 gp1800 svho I ordered last September to be delivered, and plan to go stage 1 plus once broken in...possible stage 2 at some point.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff24680 View Post
    All,

A fizzle intercooler will experience much less heat fade than the oem cooler, and will allow for big gains with other supporting mods, just an fyi the intercooler and exaust on seadoo are open loop, the closed loop pertains to the engine

+1
    Dedicated intercooler dump line.

+1
    Out of curiosity, can you inflict any damage from doing long full throttle running?? For example, there’s stretch’s of water where I can run 3-4 minutes if I so chose at wide open throttle. Would I be doing any long term damage? I would suspect the ECU would shut me down if I got over any limits, but by then it’s too late—my concern would be if I’m doing some damage I can prevent. What’s the generally accepted thinking on this, I’d love to hear feedback on how others run their skis!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhund View Post
    Out of curiosity, can you inflict any damage from doing long full throttle running?? For example, there’s stretch’s of water where I can run 3-4 minutes if I so chose at wide open throttle. Would I be doing any long term damage? I would suspect the ECU would shut me down if I got over any limits, but by then it’s too late—my concern would be if I’m doing some damage I can prevent. What’s the generally accepted thinking on this, I’d love to hear feedback on how others run their skis!
    Take your time warming it up and cooling it down, replace your oil more often...short of something crazy you may have going on you haven't told us about...I wouldn't be concerned one bit. Stock IC is fine at least since 2016 IMO, the newest ones are very good...no need to replace them. I've been running about 18psi on a big charger/cam for 40 hrs plus and no others with way more hours on there stock IC.

Thread Information