+1

Sea-Doo RXT-X, RXP-x or Yamaha GP1800 SVHO

I had no idea where to post this so I flipped a coin. I love the comfort of my FX SVHO but is does lack that sporty handling and lean in cornering characteristic that Sea-Doo claims to own. If I wanted the choppy water comfort and the lean in cornering what ski should I look at? I’m currently looking at the Yamaha GP 1800 SVHO, Sea-Doo RXP-X and the Sea-Doo RXT-X. Anyone that has ridden these skis, could you share your input?
    Thanks
    Bill

+1
    I have had Yamaha’s all my life so looking at a Sea-Doo is a little unusual for me.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandini View Post
    ... Yamaha GP 1800 SVHO, Sea-Doo RXP-X and the Sea-Doo RXT-X. ...
    You only looking at brand new current model year, correct?

So 2021 GP1800R SVHO.

Have you ridden the current generation GP1800R SVHO?

+1
    Yes. Current model year. Been looking at reviews on the green hulk channel and watercraft Journal channel. Sea Doo has best acceleration and they constantly talk about its lean in cornering. Just don’t want to loose all comfort during the large part of riding which is basically cruising from cove to cove.

+1
    Find someone that will let you try it to experience it for yourself. No one in Yamaha section will advice you to buy another brand.

Not sure what comfort you think you would be losing. RXP is actually a drier ride than the FX, less water splashing on you when it gets choppy. If you do a lot of 2-up riding than the RXP is probably not a great option.

+1
    On a post that is seeking opinions across brands, you need to post it in both forums. Posting in a Yamaha forum will normally get you more positive responses in Yamaha since that makes people feel like they made the correct decision. That being said......

I was in the same "boat" as you earlier this year. 21 GP or 21 RXP? When I am buying a new ski, I look at ALL of the skis in the market place. I have owned skis of most brands. That being said, I owned my 97 XP for 21 years and my 97 GP for 1 month. I still own an 03 XP because it is the king of the inside leaning ski that you are seeking.

I looked at the 21 Yamahas and my first impression was how cheap they felt. The components like switchgear, hinges, etc just felt cheap. You are a Yamaha owner, so I'm sure that if this has not been an issue for you in the past, it won't be an issue now.

I have owned two Yamaha motorcycles and one Waverunner. The quality of Yamaha products in my experience has been way over rated. All manufacturers have design or QC issues, but in specifically the GP1800 history, I could not get past cracked hulls, cracked heads, broken timing chains, hatch latches that won't stay shut. I have never had any design or QC issues with my Sea Doos. That being said, I did not own one of the early gen supercharger models that had clutch washer issues that destroyed some 4tec engines. My Sea Doos also had gelcoat hulls, not the CM Tec material that is used now.

I decided on the 21 RXP and ordered it two months ago before the speed test results came out. The results did not matter in my selection process. The RXP has the riding characteristics that I like and I already own an 18 RXP that has been bullet proof, no issues whatsoever for 75 hours. Dealer relationship is important to me as well and I know that my dealer would be helpful if I ever had an issue with a BRP product. He does not carry Yamaha.

If you like your FX, have no concerns about the quality of Yamaha products, and have a good relationship with your dealer, the GP will be a winner for you. Its great that we have such awesome machines to choose from. Good Luck!

+1
    I Understand what you’re saying about the forums and where to post questions. I do however, have a much higher than average opinion about the honesty of the people on this forum therefore I did not feel it would be as big of an issue as it would be on other forms When asking such a divisive question about brands. And there you go, you proved my point! Unfortunately I do not know anyone who has any of these other models that I am interested in. Inventory is scarce this year so I kind of wanted to get my name in the hat on incoming inventory. Nevertheless, please keep your opinions and experiences coming.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    You only looking at brand new current model year, correct?

So 2021 GP1800R SVHO.

Have you ridden the current generation GP1800R SVHO?
    Sorry, been trying to read this and reply on my phone. A little tough. No, I have not ridden the current generation GP188R SVHO. I hear it’s good but I can only go on the YouTube reviews from Green Hulk and The watercraft journal that I’ve been watching.

+1
    By the way. Thanks for the very informative post Team Belford!

Thread Information