Intake grate bolts on Vx and fx models go thru hull?

I couldn’t find posts that answered my question. Does the intake grate bolts go thru hull? Is it ok to have those bolts off in the water? I’m asking in case I ever suck in a rope or debris and want to take the grate off in the water to cut out the mess.
    Years in question are 2015 VXR and 2019 Fx ho.
    Mahalo in advance

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    2015-2018 VXR (and GP1800) have bolts that thread up from the intake grate on the hull bottom into cast aluminum ‘inserts’ inside the hull. There are no nuts inside the hull. On those years the hull is susceptible to cracking around the rear bolt holes for the intake grate. Hull reinforcement is recommended, especially for the GP1800 but also for the non-supercharged models with the same hull. *

2019 onwards the hull is factory reinforced in that area.

For the FX my understanding is that the bolts for intake grate also thread up from below into hull inserts.

We carry a selection of tools to assist with recovery if something gets drawn into the jet pump.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2978184

https://www.northernontario.travel/b...watercraft-pwc

Unbolting the intake grate in the water or even at shoreline is something I would want to avoid. Properly installed with sealant (and/or a pump seal insert kit) I would prefer to leave it bolted in and use long tools to cut away and extract the debris from inside the jet pump.

* Elsewhere on here I and others have posted photos and details on doing the hull insert reinforcement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7003.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	471856  

Thank you so much for the info. Very helpful!

+1
    Do you carry a spark plug wrench? If so, you can remove the plugs and it will be easier to turn the crankshaft backwards, which make it much easier to remove a rope. You can grab the driveshaft coupling to turn it. Only work on the intake grate in water shallow enough to stand up in. Otherwise, if you get your hand stuck in the grate you could drown.

5. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    ... Only work on the intake grate in water shallow enough to stand up in...
    More than once we have floated a hull into very shallow water, then rolled the hull onto one side. Two or more people hold the hull on its side while someone uses tools to extract the rope or whatever is stuck in the jet pump. *

Safety is the reason you need extra people to hold the hull. If it were to roll the wrong way it could easily trap the worker and hurt them.

When rolling a hull onto one side, always roll in the direction that puts the engine exhaust side down. Usually (depends on the make and model) that is also the side with the water box. The exhaust system has water inside, if it were to be rolled up and above the engine the water can flow into the cylinders and damage the engine.

After the hull is rolled back upright, let it sit for a minute to allow fluids to return to correct levels inside engine. Push it back into deeper water before attempting to start to avoid drawing in debris or rocks from below. Pump the rear of the hull up and down bodily a few times to flush water through the non-running jet pump. Then carefully attempt an engine start.

* take all the tools you might need out of the storage before rolling the hull. This is why we carry a tool bag with most the extraction tools inside.

Close the hull openings.

Plan the work before rolling the hull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7009.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	471908  

Thread Information