Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I had similar issues all last season. Mine ended up being a combination of leaks. The worst was the driveshaft sleeve, like K447 mentioned above. Secondarily, I had used worm gear hose clamps for most of my cooling system (too lazy to reuse the OEM style). I see you have a worm gear clamp coming off of your Y. I would suggest starting with this, as it would be a quick fix. I suggest reusing the OEM hose clamp, or for a better, more permanent solution, oetiker style.

Some other information that is key to ruling out different culprits. Does it leak when sitting in the water for extended periods of time, or does it only leak while running? If only while running, does it leak worse when doing high RPM riding, or is there an insignificant difference in water intrusion regardless of RPM.

i always suck the water out with a shop vac after riding and its a tiny bit but when my mishaft went bad i was sucking out almost 5 gallons. i always have had a little bit of water in my hull maybe a cup or less

Had some corrosion on the exhaust and cleaned that up. Will go for a ride today and test.

Quote Originally Posted by VancityVXR View Post
    Had some corrosion on the exhaust and cleaned that up. Will go for a ride today and test.

Still had water in the hull. I am totally lost. May just install a bilge pump. Only other ideas is that the mid shaft may be leaking or a hose is bad.

+1
    On dry ground, tilt the ski up as high as you can on the trailer. Fill the back end with water over the top of the mid-shaft housing. Look for leaks under the ski.

-Greg

So I did some digging and took the suggestion of mounting a gopro and found two leaks. The first leak is where the tow valve (Installed by the previous owner) is. The second is the hose that sits under the exhaust manifold. My theory is that the tow valve is restricting flow, so water is trying to escape from somewhere, which is the blue hose in the video and the hose that sits under the exhaust manifold.

Tow Valve Leak:

Exhaust Manifold hose Leak (Fast forward to the 4 min mark):

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The blue hose appears to be swelling under pressure. Replace with a higher grade hose, with mesh reinforcement between the hose layers.

If the tow valve was flow restricting the result would be lower water pressure on the blue hose side of the valve. It may be restricting flow, but that restriction is not causing the leaks.

I use the Antelco irrigation valves as tow valves. Integrated hose barbs, compact size and light weight. I have posted Antelco valve photos and info elsewhere on GH. Also sold under other brand names.

For hose clamps I will recommend Oetiker gapless/stepless ear clamps. In the correct size (for the installed hose OD) these will hold tight, do not loosen over time and are very reliable.

That makes sense. My intention is to replace the blue hose with an OEM Yamaha one and hopefully get better clamps. Also may make sense to use a better clamp on the one sitting under the exhaust manifold. Despite there being an ear clamp in the middle it is held on by a regular hose clamp which may be allowing for the leak.

+1
    While I like O-tinker clamps. They make working on it out on the water, or something a pain, vs a normal worm gear clamp.

I personally use Stainless Worm Gear clamps, that are sixed right for the hose.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VancityVXR View Post
    That makes sense. My intention is to replace the blue hose with an OEM Yamaha one and hopefully get better clamps. Also may make sense to use a better clamp on the one sitting under the exhaust manifold. Despite there being an ear clamp in the middle it is held on by a regular hose clamp which may be allowing for the leak.
    That valve will not be restricting any water flow, it looks like it has reduced fittings to fit the hose. I would use gates green stripe or equivalent instead of oem.
    Like mittens said the oetiker clamps are great clamps but if u have to tighten or replace a hose on the water it becomes a chore. The nipple at the bottom of the exhaust is smooth with a ridge at the end. If the hose there doesn’t fit tight and the clamp is not very tight it will leak. I had my hose slip down to the ridge because my clamp wasn’t tight enough. Thank god it didn’t completely come off

Good Luck getting a completely dry hull

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information