Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2019 VX-HO Upgrade Recomendations

Hey guys. Just joined the forum today bases on all the knowledgeable/Helpful threads I've read.

I bought my VX brand new and have only put a Riva Hull threw exhaust on and a Solas 11/15 Impleller on after putting my stock one out of commission.

With the Solas I have lost some top end speed and am now on the limiter constantly. Is there anything besides a tune I can do to get some more top end out of my ski without a reflash or tuner to get some more top end speed back and keep my ski from bouncing off the rev limiter?

I mainly ride in Fresh water with minimal salt water if that helps. Thanks in advance for all the feedback.

That prop pitch is going to need the limiter raised with a tune. I went back with the stock prop.

Overland Park, KS (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pgaloustian View Post
    Hey guys. Just joined the forum today bases on all the knowledgeable/Helpful threads I've read. I bought my VX brand new and have only put a Riva Hull threw exhaust on and a Solas 11/15 Impleller on after putting my stock one out of commission. With the Solas I have lost some top end speed and am now on the limiter constantly. Is there anything besides a tune I can do to get some more top end out of my ski without a reflash or tuner to get some more top end speed back and keep my ski from bouncing off the rev limiter? I mainly ride in Fresh water with minimal salt water if that helps. Thanks in advance for all the feedback.
    Your solas 11/15 is meant to spin at and above 8300 rpm and the stock limiter is just below 7900 rpm. You want the Solas 13/19 or another stock prop for a stock rev limiter ski.

So don’t waste my time with anything until I get a tune is what you’re saying?

Yea that's your next step if you intend on keeping that impeller.

I love the take off I get with it and I’m sure come summer time it will pay off in lake traffic. Any other recommendations with the tune?

I would do the power filter and then get the updated 2019+ GP OEM ride plate. You could do the Riva plate but it's kind of expensive. That made a huge difference on my 2018 with stability and a MPH or so.

I didn't install an updated intake grate on the VX HO 1.8L but it will certainly pull harder with that on it too.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingSlow View Post
    I would do the power filter ...

... the updated 2019+ GP OEM ride plate. ...
    Even on the SVHO motor an aftermarket air intake ony has a modest effect, and that engine inhales a lot more air than the HO. I am doubting on the HO engine a change of the air intake is going to be really noticeable. Providing the factory air filter is clean and not water damaged, look elsewhere for potential gains.

The Yamaha OEM GP1800R ride plate (used on both the HO and SVHO versions) is a nice upgrade for the pre-2019 GP1800 and VXR/VX HO. Better tracking on textured water and turns are more predictable. It does lift the bow for a tad more top speed.

The Riva Gen 2 intake grate for GP1800 hull seems quite nice. Well reviewed, it provides better acceleration with much less impeller cavitation.

The Riva Gen 1 intake grate apparently provides better top speed than the Riva Gen 2.

The Yamaha GP1800R intake grate works similar to the Riva Gen 1, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Even on the SVHO motor an aftermarket air intake ony has a modest effect, and that engine inhales a lot more air than the HO. I am doubting on the HO engine a change of the air intake is going to be really noticeable. Providing the factory air filter is clean and not water damaged, look elsewhere for potential gains.

The Yamaha OEM GP1800R ride plate (used on both the HO and SVHO versions) is a nice upgrade for the pre-2019 GP1800 and VXR/VX HO. Better tracking on textured water and turns are more predictable. It does lift the bow for a tad more top speed.

The Riva Gen 2 intake grate for GP1800 hull seems quite nice. Well reviewed, it provides better acceleration with much less impeller cavitation.

The Riva Gen 1 intake grate apparently provides better top speed than the Riva Gen 2.

The Yamaha GP1800R intake grate works similar to the Riva Gen 1, IIRC.

so the Gen 1 Ride plate is more top end where the Gen 2 is more acceleration? sheesh can't they make the best of both worlds?
    Real talk and I wasting money throwing parts on this thing or are performance parts going to make a difference? Is the ribbon delete worth the $40 or make any noticeable change?

Also the GP ride plate..... does that benefit me since I have a 2019? Or is the GP ride plate different than the VX? I've read mixed reviews. Thanks in advance for all the knowledge.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pgaloustian View Post
    so the Gen 1 Ride plate is more top end where the Gen 2 is more acceleration?
    sheesh can't they make the best of both worlds?

... wasting money throwing parts on this thing or are performance parts going to make a difference?
    Is the ribbon delete worth the $40 or make any noticeable change?

Also the GP ride plate..... does that benefit me since I have a 2019? Or is the GP ride plate different than the VX? I've read mixed reviews. ...
    Do not confuse intake grate with ride plate. Riva intake grate exists in Gen 1 and Gen 2 forms.

There is just one Riva ride plate for these hulls.
    There are two Yamaha OEM ride plates, depending on the year and model. The original 2015 onwards (flat bottom) and the ‘R’ ride plate (cut bottom channel) that is included with VXR and GP1800R.

There are always trade-offs with performance ‘upgrades’. Best upgrade depends on what you want optimize for. Riding in rough water I prefer to optimize for hook-up and acceleration and hull tracking. Top speed I don’t really care about much. Always somebody else on the water somewhere that will be faster.

Yiu will have to check the online parts diagrams to verify whether your 2019 has the GP1800R HO intake grate or ride plate (compare part numbers).

By far the biggest performance increase with the 1.8 liter comes with the factory SVHO supercharger + intercooler. The 1.8 liter non-supercharged HO engine is rather well tuned right from the factory. Incremental performance gains are possible using tune + select aftermarket upgrades.

All of those HO upgrades together will provide much less performance than a factory stock SVHO model. And the performance gains possible with an SVHO tune are much greater.

Realistically what are you looking to accomplish?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information