Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    in regards to distractions...

My first auto shop job was on the 1000 mile service racks

yeah, change the oil, grease anything that moves and make sure nothing is falling off.

Well during my 2nd month on the job I was changing oil on a honda accord and a young lady in a very revealing swimsuit was dropping off her car, but she was going to block the service door. Of course I had to walk over to point her to the correct parking place.

and all the while I quickly forgot that I had just put five quarts into the engine, but I neglected to put the fill cap on, so I thought I didn't put the oil in and quickly pumped in five more quarts

Needless to say I got a call that evening to come in on the following day, Saturday. Great I thought..some OT, finally

well it turns out the service writer and my manager were there, along with the last car I serviced on friday. That car.

Needless to say I spent half the day detailing the engine compartment which was coated head to to with oil that had blown out of the breather

There were other distractions and bad outcomes over the years but I eventually got the discipline to focus on the task at hand regardless of what was going on around me.

+1
    If you guys are getting distracted during oil change to the point it goes sideways than thats a good sign you've chugged too many beers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post
    Correct

Here's the best one for SeaDoo's:

ref the second video 5 minutes on the hose is too long for the carbon seal without some way of cooling it. I know what I do but not going to say for fear of shitstorm lol

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 711jrp View Post
    ref the second video 5 minutes on the hose is too long for the carbon seal without some way of cooling it. I know what I do but not going to say for fear of shitstorm lol
    I'll reveal my secret sauce..., I welcome "shitstorms"

I use a triple split on my hose with a "swamp cooler connector" to get a 1/8 inch water line that I position so the outflow sprays all over the carbon seal, the other hose outlet was attached to the intake grate to spray water into the pump

Around 2012 skis started getting so heavy that I couldn't lift them into my water tank ( the crane is old and metal fatigue was starting to show, even after a number of gusset jobs I wasn't that comfortable moving 800 pounds of PWC on a crane rated for 800 pounds)

turned out to be pretty handy as I could run a ski for as long as I wanted without an issue, not that I would mind taking a ski out with a rebuilt engine for an afternoon of "break in", but I had a little too much work going on just to close up and head up to the lake

+1
    So....for all of you changing your own oil...important question. My ski is new with 10hrs, 2019 Rxtx 300, will changing my own oil affect my warranty?

+1
    This might be country-specific, but most countries have protections/provisions that protect the consumer when it comes to self-maintenence work.
    99.9% of the time, doing your own service will not result in warranty compromise.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
    So....for all of you changing your own oil...important question. My ski is new with 10hrs, 2019 Rxtx 300, will changing my own oil affect my warranty?
    Document the new parts + oil purchase. And note the actual work done.

Note the date, engine hours, etc.

One aspect some people overlook is that when a dealer does the service, not only is the oil changed. The machine is also inspected.

There is an inspection schedule for each service interval.
    Do the inspections and anything else called out in the service sequence. Do them and log the results.

AND the dealer should check for and perform any outstanding service bulletins or software updates.

As an individual you may be unaware of important service bulletin items or system updates.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Document the new parts + oil purchase. And note the actual work done.

Note the date, engine hours, etc.

One aspect some people overlook is that when a dealer does the service, not only is the oil changed. The machine is also inspected.

There is an inspection schedule for each service interval.
    Do the inspections and anything else called out in the service sequence. Do them and log the results.

AND the dealer should check for and perform any outstanding service bulletins or software updates.

As an individual you may be unaware of important service bulletin items or system updates.
    All the inspection items are in the manual by # of hours and what should be checked.

I always change my oil at or close to 10 hours and closely inspect the oil filter each time and take pictures so I remember what it looked like. I've had 2 pumps getting water in them at around 25 hours in both my 18tx and my 19tx...so don't skip those inspections. Also every ski I've purchased since 2016 has been overfilled...have no idea why they do that. Just took 20oz out of my 21px to get it to 3/4 on the stick.

Happy oil change

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
    I let my dealer service my machine until the warranty was out just because. With that being said, I trusted the service techs where I purchased it so wasn't a concern. After the warranty was gone I serviced myself and the service techs I trusted were always there to answer questions after the fact. Probably got lucky compared to some but that's the route I would take again even with a diff dealer. RR

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information