+1

Is there a heavy duty double ski trailer manufacturer on the east coast?

I'd like to get a nice heavy duty double trailer like Shadow Trailers out of California makes. However, being in North Carolina that's too far to travel or have one delivered. Do any of you guys know of a trailer manufacturer here on the east coast that would make a trailer similar to the Shadow brand?
    Thanks
    Bill

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is the Triton Trailers WC2-2 enough?
    Manufactured in Wisconsin.

Double axle, 4000 pound weight rating (with brakes).

I have a modified and extended WC2-2

Currently configured to carry two full size PWC and a stand-up (SXR-800)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FAFCFBF9-6558-4459-B761-BC4A39B1A13E.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	471779  

+1
    Thatís sweeeeeeet! I was kind of looking for a heavy duty double axle steel trailer though. I can weld on steel. Donít have the equipment or experience for aluminum. I want to modify it some to carry some additional water toys, kayaks, and gasoline cans. Canít be over 20í though or not t wonít fit me n my garage.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandini View Post
    Thatís sweeeeeeet! I was kind of looking for a heavy duty double axle steel trailer though. I can weld on steel. Donít have the equipment or experience for aluminum.

I want to modify it some to carry some additional water toys, kayaks, and gasoline cans.

Canít be over 20í though or it wonít fit in my garage.
    I installed a Fulton trailer tongue hinge. When the tongue is folded at the hinge the trailer is under 20 feet, and that includes a significantly longer frame than it had stock.

On a stock Triton the tongue is 3x3 aluminum. I used a 3x3 tongue hinge for the first year or so on my WC2-2 and towed it thousands of miles Then I added a 3x5 welded aluminum extension to the frame and extending forward under the original tongue, which made space for the third set of bunks. Now I am using a 3x5 tongue hinge. Both made by Fulton.

I mostly launch and ride in fresh water, but have traveled to salt water areas. My stance is that the additional cost for a high quality aluminum trailer is more than balanced by the exceptionally long lifespan and high resale value. Steel, even galvanized steel, can and will rust. Bolt holes, welds, tube interior, eventually even a well kept steel trailer can begin to rust.

I do not weld aluminum. I paid a skilled aluminum fabricator or do the work. When I wanted more changes, he did them. Yes it cost more than if I did it myself (assuming I could even do it nearly as well as someone who does aluminum welding day on and day out). The result is a trailer than should outlast multiple generations of PWC.

I will mention that I really, really prefer torsion axles over leaf springs. Not only does the trailer ride much nicer, it is quiet. Going over bumps at speed there is just a quiet thump from the trailer tires. No rattles at all.

Torsion axles bolt to the trailer frame. If a torsion axle needs changing it can be done in my driveway. In fact I have already done so. I replaced the OEM 2000 pound rated axles with dual 2500 pound rated. Careful measuring to ensure the replacement axles were properly aligned to the frame and to each other.

Upgraded the axles not for the added weight rating but because the larger hub inner bearing size (same as 3500 pound axles) allowed me to install 10 inch integrated disc brakes. The trailer disc brakes also have stainless steel calipers, to reduce rust potential.

EHD (Electric over Hydraulic) with disc trailer brakes is very nice. Smooth braking control and the tow vehicle can stop as rapidly with the loaded trailer as it does without any trailer. Maybe even slightly better.

Triton offers upgraded models that include all stainless steel bolt hardware. That is how my WC2-2 came, as did my prior Triton Elite double, and even a single PWC Triton.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Excellent points! Worth considering. Sometimes I break out the wire welder just to throw something together or make a quick fix. I only have time to mess with this stuff on the weekends so that usually means I'm doing stuff in the driveway. I never run in salt water so....I feel fairly safe with steel and the trailer stays in the garage when I'm not riding. Triton makes an awesome trailer! However, it would be nice to have a nice custom trailer builder here on the east coast. I wonder if the guys at Riva might know of some other custom trailer manufacturers.

if you want something heavy duty with tandem axles, and can weld, buy a tandem boat trailer and weld a new jetski supporting frame. That would save you a lot of money, since double axle jetski trailers that I saw are very expensive and rare

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I installed a Fulton trailer tongue hinge. When the tongue is folded at the hinge the trailer is under 20 feet, and that includes a significantly longer frame than it had stock.

On a stock Triton the tongue is 3x3 aluminum. I used a 3x3 tongue hinge for the first year or so on my WC2-2 and towed it thousands of miles Then I added a 3x5 welded aluminum extension to the frame and extending forward under the original tongue, which made space for the third set of bunks. Now I am using a 3x5 tongue hinge. Both made by Fulton.

I mostly launch and ride in fresh water, but have traveled to salt water areas. My stance is that the additional cost for a high quality aluminum trailer is more than balanced by the exceptionally long lifespan and high resale value. Steel, even galvanized steel, can and will rust. Bolt holes, welds, tube interior, eventually even a well kept steel trailer can begin to rust.

I do not weld aluminum. I paid a skilled aluminum fabricator or do the work. When I wanted more changes, he did them. Yes it cost more than if I did it myself (assuming I could even do it nearly as well as someone who does aluminum welding day on and day out). The result is a trailer than should outlast multiple generations of PWC.

I will mention that I really, really prefer torsion axles over leaf springs. Not only does the trailer ride much nicer, it is quiet. Going over bumps at speed there is just a quiet thump from the trailer tires. No rattles at all.

Torsion axles bolt to the trailer frame. If a torsion axle needs changing it can be done in my driveway. In fact I have already done so. I replaced the OEM 2000 pound rated axles with dual 2500 pound rated. Careful measuring to ensure the replacement axles were properly aligned to the frame and to each other.

Upgraded the axles not for the added weight rating but because the larger hub inner bearing size (same as 3500 pound axles) allowed me to install 10 inch integrated disc brakes. The trailer disc brakes also have stainless steel calipers, to reduce rust potential.

EHD (Electric over Hydraulic) with disc trailer brakes is very nice. Smooth braking control and the tow vehicle can stop as rapidly with the loaded trailer as it does without any trailer. Maybe even slightly better.

Triton offers upgraded models that include all stainless steel bolt hardware. That is how my WC2-2 came, as did my prior Triton Elite double, and even a single PWC Triton.
    I was very lucky to buy an older Featherlite double jetski trailer. This thing is a piece of art and even though originally I wanted to sell it together with the jetskies, I quickly changed my mind and decided to leave it. It has a torsion axle, original tires were 5.80-12, but I replaced them with new 175/80/13. Much better ride. Has a nice running board in the middle, which makes loading unloading jetskies much easier task. Unfortunately, I found out that finding original parts for this trailer is a bitch, Featherlite does not support them any longer.

Thread Information